Author Topic: Heavy Armor thoughts  (Read 2501 times)

Offline v/onMega

• Count
  • Renown: 234
  • Infamy: 67
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_vMega
Heavy Armor thoughts
« on: June 15, 2012, 09:47:54 am »
+6
Hi folks.

cRPG being under heavy revision, mechanics get changed, there s a lot happening.

Thanks to the devs at this place.

Now, one thing that I want to sort out:

No topic for useless lobbying or realism discussion, please

You choose your armor according to your preferences and needs on the battlefield.

Heavy armor is supposed to protect you better. Heavy is defined weight 20 + for me.

Mostly you ll add heavy gloves and helmets.

All in all a heavy loadout, accounting for 30 or more weight (allrdy considering multipliers for head and hands)

High weight, high upkeep, higher protection.
We can agree that there is some benefits and reasons to choose heavy armor

WHY I WRITE THIS:

With all the supposed benefits, one thing doesnt make any sense:

The randomness in the effective values your armor will protect you.

In 69 bodyarmor I sometimes absorb 3, sometimes 7 hits.

Speedmodifiers, sure.
Damagemodifiers, sure.

All taken into account, yet still, the factor of randomness is too high.

I am fine with the downsides, higher upkeep, slower speed etc.
I dont ask for an immortal super plate warrior.

All I ask for is a general change / revision of how your protection is calculated into something more reliable (less random).

Could devs consider it, ppl. make statements (civilized) about that randomness?

« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 10:31:34 am by v/onMega »

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy Armor thoughts
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 09:48:17 am »

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 09:49:44 am »
Awaiting epic post!
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 10:00:39 am »
reply coming

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 10:56:19 am »
+4
I for one appreciate and really enjoy the randomness that comes with the fight.

If it's all super standardized, it's really about min/maxing and calculating the "ultimate" build, and then poof, cookie cutter mod.

The randomness does bring moments of outrage, and other times, a pleasant surprise.

If you want arcadey shit, I think Native does a great job of doing that. Or try the NordInvasion mod, they standardize a lot of stuff, too.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 12:43:23 pm »
+1
Are you only saying this with all of those hits hitting you on the body rather than the head? Or with different kinds of weapon damage (cut, pierce, blunt)? Or that people have varying levels of PS?

I believe weapons do a range of damage when they hit a person rather than a set amount, like 14-29 against a set amount of armor or 9-17 for a higher amount of armor. So that could account for your randomness.

The devs and the people who know far more about the mod than I do would have better answers for you though. I could be dead wrong or be partially correct for all I know.

Offline v/onMega

• Count
  • Renown: 234
  • Infamy: 67
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_vMega
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 02:31:17 pm »
Armor protection randomly goes from 50% to 100% if I remember correctly...with different factors coming to play.

@Dexxta:
You obv. cant read and obv. dont know what arcade is.
Thanks for sharing that.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 03:44:34 pm »
+2
of course there's gonna be some randomness the game has to abstract whether or not stuff like a swing hits a weak spot like a joint in armour, and whether vital organs/arteries get hit. The models only have like 5 hitboxes, not a 100 that would be needed to more accurately simulate all those variables.

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 03:48:51 pm »
+2
So you should be able to take 7 hits of damage before you die? What about the other person's powerstrike or speed bonus? Its not as random as you think. Someone mold their characters in order to maximize the damage they do by stacking strength, running at you full speed or simply using a blunt or pierce weapon.

If it wasn't for your "heavy armor" you would have died in the first or second hit. That armor made the difference for the rest.

Offline MadeForFighting

• Knight
  • Renown: 75
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Wabbajack
  • IRC nick: TrueThing
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 04:36:26 pm »
+4
The more randomness the less skill factor involved. Luck should not be a deciding factor when two players clash.

Buboes, phlegm, blood and guts! Boils, bogeys, rot and pus! Blisters, fevers, weeping sores! From your wounds the fester pours!

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 04:50:17 pm »
+1
The more randomness the less skill factor involved. Luck should not be a deciding factor when two players clash.

There is a factor of 'randomness' in real combat, when both combatants are moving, attacking and defending, two hits are rarely ever the same, as skilled as one might be, you cannot control what your enemy does, you can throw a perfectly timed and aimed punch but it doesn't mean it's going to hit your opponent and if it does it might be a glancing blow or he might ride the punch to take some of the power out of it.

Where medieval combat is concerned, your weapon hitting someones armour can have very different reactions on each occasion, the angle it hits it at, the power it hits with, etc, 99.9% or more of men on a battlefield, are not able to swing EXACTLY the same each time, with exact the same power, in exactly the same spot ( due to the factors previously stated ), thus there is a randomness, I like how the game simulates this. Would you like it so your weapon does an EXACT amount of damage each time it hits someone and relies only upon the damage multipliers of locational hits? sounds like an MMORPG. *madeforfighting hits you for 17 damage* *madeforfighting hits you for 17 damage* *madeforfighting hits you for 17 damage* *madeforfighting hits you for 17 damage* and so on, lol.

Randomness is the closest this engine can do to real combat. Plus the last time I checked only shit players relied on "luck" i.e random spam, to actually hit their opponents.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 04:54:07 pm »
+3
Fuck randomness.

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 04:56:00 pm »
Would you like it so your weapon does an EXACT amount of damage each time it hits someone and relies only upon the damage multipliers of locational hits?
Warband already has speed bonus, hold bonus, and sweet spot modifiers (in addition to the already mentioned locational damage). There is no need for randomness.

Easiest solution would be to fix all of the random factors to their average result. That way nothing is buffed or nerfed.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 04:56:39 pm »
Raw damage(without armor) isn't randomised much, it's between 90 and 100%. For both armor soak and reduction calculation, the armor value gets a good chunk of randomness with being between 45 to 100% of the shown value. It's Native and not changed yet with WSE as far as I know.

Quoted from another thread

I'd rather it wasn't random to keep it as player skill based as possible. Damage should come from the way you play rather than random number generators behind the scenes. Its not like its a realism thing either imo, hits would either penetrate and severally wound/kill someone or not penetrate and do zero damage (maybe some blunt damage,bruises,stunned for a sec etc). So we're dealing with a system that is inherently unrealistic anyway, adding random damage doesn't change that
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 05:00:05 pm by Grumbs »
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Gimest

• Baron
  • Renown: 101
  • Infamy: 40
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pantheon
  • Game nicks: Gimest_DeGyrst
  • IRC nick: Gimest
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 05:00:48 pm »
There is a factor of 'randomness' in real combat, when both combatants are moving, attacking and defending, two hits are rarely ever the same, as skilled as one might be, you cannot control what your enemy does, you can throw a perfectly timed and aimed punch but it doesn't mean it's going to hit your opponent and if it does it might be a glancing blow or he might ride the punch to take some of the power out of it.

Where medieval combat is concerned, your weapon hitting someones armour can have very different reactions on each occasion, the angle it hits it at, the power it hits with, etc, 99.9% or more of men on a battlefield, are not able to swing EXACTLY the same each time, with exact the same power, in exactly the same spot ( due to the factors previously stated ), thus there is a randomness, I like how the game simulates this. Would you like it so your weapon does an EXACT amount of damage each time it hits someone and relies only upon the damage multipliers of locational hits? sounds like an MMORPG. *madeforfighting hits you for 17 damage* *madeforfighting hits you for 17 damage* *madeforfighting hits you for 17 damage* *madeforfighting hits you for 17 damage* and so on, lol.

Randomness is the closest this engine can do to real combat. Plus the last time I checked only shit players relied on "luck" i.e random spam, to actually hit their opponents.

Thats why theres speed bonus, atleast the randomness w/o speed bonus could be lessened a bit.