12 (8.5%)
are an important part of the game.
95 (66.9%)
are of no or very low interest to me.
21 (14.8%)
are destroying the game.
14 (9.9%)

Total Members Voted: 142

Author Topic: Gens and Heirlooms Survey  (Read 1958 times)

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
Gens and Heirlooms Survey
« on: March 29, 2011, 02:33:29 pm »
As i've said several times before, I couldn't care less for gens and heirlooms. I retired once pre-patch due to a faulty build but thats it. Right now I have 3 chars that I'm playing  (all around lvl 29) and I very much enjoy to switch between them if I got bored of one. Sure I wouldn't mind having some better items but I never would constantly invest so much time for it, time I rather spend with playing and having fun than "grinding" for the next lvl respectively next gen.

So whats this about? - simple: I'd like to know if there are others thinking similar around here and why and how much, or why others do think heirlooming is so important. Resently I read in chat someone saying: "Man, how I will love the day when I got everything heirloomed I need for my set and finally can simply play." Is that the appeal of heirlooming? cant be, or not?

Note: This is not a whine/complain/rage/whatever-thread against heirlooming. Might be that there are some problems with the current system (ultra high gens= higher lvl possible?, beginner-unfriendly, disadvantage for perma-genones...) but in general I think it should be (and is right now) possible to make crpg suitable for both types of players (Me and everyone else? :|).

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
Re: Gens and Heirlooms Survey
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 02:44:25 pm »
I think retirement is important because i like some kind of progress.
The reason i'm playing CRPG instead of native, is that i like seeing my char become better when i play.
I like to feel that something happens instead of just lvling once every 10 weeks.

that is why i think heirlooming and gens are important

Offline dynamike

• King
  • Renown: 1212
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Let's be friends again?
    • View Profile
    • The Remnants Clan Website
  • Faction: Stratia
  • Game nicks: Remnant_dynamike
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 02:48:01 pm »
I have 3 1/2 high level chars (one is mid level), of which only one is gen 3, pre patch. I have one heirloom (which if I could chose to do it over, I would) and I have massive FUN at the game.

After trying out different play styles and builds, I find I have currently the ones I like best, so I am not too motivated to retire and level up the exact same build. Even though admittedly I would love to have some heirloomed weapons for that extra edge in battle.

Simply put: I am hoping for heirloom trade to come out for me to get the items I want - maybe someone will sell them to me. Or I get over my lazy self and retire my old ass... we shall see.
For while the fire in the heart of a single Remnant still burns... can Stratia truly have fallen?

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 02:53:50 pm »
Well maybe you spoke to vicious or something. But ignore him, he has no life (and how do you kill that which has no life?).  :wink:

I've been playing for a very long time now and 'only' retired 6 times. I also have a few alts, which i've never retired. Some of my clanmates have retired dozens of times.
I've had a long period pre-patch where i decided not to retire anymore, because the generation xp bonus by itself just wasn't appealing for me. That, and i was just getting started with the tactics and flags, so my higher level (i think i was 42 or 43 or something) helped me survive all the attention i got carrying that red flag around trying to lead the troops.
I might retire again and maybe improve my shield a bit or something. Or maybe i'll spend some more time on my alts.

I can understand that with three level 29 characters, heirlooming doesn't seem appealing yet. That's fine! But i bet after a few more months of playing, that you might just consider retiring again a few times. But don't feel like you have to!

The great thing about the heirlooming system is: you don't need to retire. If you want to and enjoy the challenge of having a lowbie character once every few weeks, heirlooming is great. I've tried almost every build i wanted to try. I've heirloomed my horse three times (which i do admit really does seem worth it) and i've heirloomed my weapon three times. So i'm happy.

What i like about the heirloom system is this: you don't need to retire, but it does give you something to strife for if you've been playing for a very long time.

Don't get fooled into thinking you need heirlooms. You don't. But get them if you enjoy a challenge and don't mind being 'weak' again for a bit. And don't get caught up in the  'i must heirloom every item i use' crazyness, unless you enjoy that kinda thing. It's a LOT of grinding. Don't do it for the advantage. Do it because you want the variation. Or limit your heirlooming goals to something realistic and healthy.
Eventually, you might just heirloom every item you use. Or you might not. But don't feel like you need heirlooms to win, because really... you don't. Teamplay > gear. And skills > gear.

Instead, if you feel the game is becoming boring, try leading the troops. Do some tactics. Spend some time lugging those flags around and making plans with your teammates. It will entertain you for many more months, i bet. It works for me. :)

P.s.: the one thing i dislike about heirlooming is this: it does kinda make you use the same heirloomed items a lot. The effect is more psychological than rational, but somehow using a unheirloomed sword loses it's appeal now that i have my masterwork scimitar. Which is too bad, because i did enjoy searching for the right sword. I still have a dozen swords in my inventory, but never use them anymore.

Edit: P.P.S: however, i really do enjoy looting heirloomed weapons on the battlefield. Sometimes, when i'm on foot, i pick up a masterwork side sword. That's fun. Or i get lucky and find a champion sarranid horse. That's exiting. I even tend to pick up stuff like a masterwork flamberge or a masterwork pike, even though i'm not proficient in two handers or polearms on that caracter. So looting heirlooms on the battlefield is awesome. I even hunt certain players (sorry kingrimm  :twisted:) because i know they carry items i want (like his heirloomed huscarl shield).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 03:00:23 pm by Phazey »

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 06:04:52 pm »

So looting heirlooms on the battlefield is awesome. I even hunt certain players (sorry kingrimm  :twisted:) because i know they carry items i want (like his heirloomed huscarl shield).

Monster Hunter : Warband
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 08:47:21 pm »
Thanks for the answers. well said, phazey, its about the same what i'm thinking about the issue. Probably youre right and some day i will retire again, who knows. The poll is nothing totally unexpected, but its good to know not everybody is focused so hard on gens and looms like I got the impression.

Offline woody

• Earl
  • Renown: 407
  • Infamy: 138
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Woody, Weebo, Wreky
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 08:58:59 pm »
I play 3 different alts so gens and heirs dont matter so much to me.

Makes a big difference though, and must admit to wanting a masterwork German Sword but will not grind to get it - I'll only play when I'm enjoying it.

Offline Kaelaen

• Count
  • Renown: 163
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
    • H2O Kaelaen's Youtube Videos
  • Faction: Blandiloquent Rampallion Deutereagonists (BRD)
  • Game nicks: Kaelaen_BRD
  • IRC nick: Kaelaen
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 09:05:04 pm »
I'll only play when I'm enjoying it.

Good attitude.  I find it odd when people get frustrated by 'the grind' yet keep playing.  Seems unhealthy.
-idlewind

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 09:08:28 pm »
I voted number three. Strategus you will not be able to use them, and I for one play to ahve fun, and could care less about the heirlooms.  The only character I have that actually cares about the heirlooms is my archer, because everytime I heirloom the bow I can take 1 less PD the next gen.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 09:37:58 pm »
I voted number three. Strategus you will not be able to use them, and I for one play to ahve fun, and could care less about the heirlooms.  The only character I have that actually cares about the heirlooms is my archer, because everytime I heirloom the bow I can take 1 less PD the next gen.

You know I keep hearing people say that you won't be able to use heirlooms in strategus, and pre-patch that was true, but chadz was saying he wanted to make cRPG and Strategus more interconnected and that the whole strategus design is being completely revamped where your main character's cRPG gold is also your Strategus gold, etc.  Who is to say you won't be using your heirloomed items as a mercenary with a completely redone strategus and cRPG??  Supposedly you build/create your own weapons now with the upcoming strategus and you will be able to trade heirlooms with other people for gold or different heirlooms.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 09:39:51 pm by Keshian »
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline NuberT

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: NuberT_HRE
  • IRC nick: NuberT_HRE
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2011, 10:04:29 pm »
I retired really often and beside playing with clanmates its the only thing which keeps me playing, while waiting for strategus. I played many different builds to find out whats my favorite, so its not only about heirlooms...

Offline Sir_Xormanec

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Destiny shall become fate
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lost Legion, The Legendary Guardians
  • Game nicks: Mr_Moogle, Forgotten_Destiny, LL_Equite_Godspeed + 3 hidden
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2011, 10:09:33 pm »
As i've said several times before, I couldn't care less for gens and heirlooms. I retired once pre-patch due to a faulty build but thats it. Right now I have 3 chars that I'm playing  (all around lvl 29) and I very much enjoy to switch between them if I got bored of one. Sure I wouldn't mind having some better items but I never would constantly invest so much time for it, time I rather spend with playing and having fun than "grinding" for the next lvl respectively next gen.

So whats this about? - simple: I'd like to know if there are others thinking similar around here and why and how much, or why others do think heirlooming is so important. Resently I read in chat someone saying: "Man, how I will love the day when I got everything heirloomed I need for my set and finally can simply play." Is that the appeal of heirlooming? cant be, or not?

Note: This is not a whine/complain/rage/whatever-thread against heirlooming. Might be that there are some problems with the current system (ultra high gens= higher lvl possible?, beginner-unfriendly, disadvantage for perma-genones...) but in general I think it should be (and is right now) possible to make crpg suitable for both types of players (Me and everyone else? :|).

+1 to that my freind

Offline Polobow

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoA
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2011, 10:32:42 pm »
I really hate levelling up again. And i don't see the point in having 1 damage more. Can anyone explain? I mean, do 144 hours over again... really?

Offline Ganon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Ganon, Linkk
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2011, 12:04:07 am »
Really all you need to heirloom is your weapon, everything else is a plus. Of course it adds up and gives a little advantage but nothing maior.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 12:12:54 am »
Retirement and heirlooms are pretty much the one thing keeping the player base still here, now strat is down and you cant level grind there is really no aim left other than to retire and get heirlooms in the long run.

Obviously you aim to have fun and enjoy the game while doing it but ATM thats the end game.
Turtles