Author Topic: Spinning around with polearms  (Read 3938 times)

Offline Wraist

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Spinning around with polearms
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2012, 05:24:56 am »
I've found that even with a high-agi longsword build fighting against a good spinner was simply a pain. You pretty much need to dodge the stab as blocking doesn't leave you much time to do anything.

If you blocked, then you had a chance to counter attack, then block again, like everything else.

Devs, can you increase the range of the pole sweet spot, so I can hit people, without glancing, at roughly the same angles I can with a 2her?

Offline robert_namo

• Count
  • Renown: 170
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • I don't understand.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis "of the Stars"
  • Game nicks: Robert_Namo_Astralis
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2012, 06:15:41 am »
I can't wait till they nerf stabs!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kelugarn

• Marshall
  • Renown: 936
  • Infamy: 79
  • #̪͎̳̭̰͓͙ͯ͗̇͘ͅͅ1̢ͨ̈̆̓ͮ͐̌͏̪̦͓̣ ̽̇ͫ҉̸͕̻͙͖̮̹ͅN̡̥̭͖͙ͮ͊͡
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
  • Game nicks: Froyo The Wizard
  • IRC nick: #FreeArys2012
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2012, 09:11:06 am »
Ahhh Namo, just waiting until the only weapon left un-nerfed is the Namodachi.

Offline robert_namo

• Count
  • Renown: 170
  • Infamy: 55
  • I don't understand.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis "of the Stars"
  • Game nicks: Robert_Namo_Astralis
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2012, 09:52:01 am »
Ahhh Namo, just waiting until the only weapon left un-nerfed is the Namodachi.
The Tale of Namo

The Namodachi has slain a countless number of men in an effort to one day have the chance to be noticed, not for its lack of speed or its three directional attacks, but for its perfect and fascinating swings of power! Everyone I encounter feels the strength of the Namodachi against their body.
No man has laughed at my ability to stun weapons with incredible ease, or slash the helmets off the Knights who think they are unstoppable. Though my clan rejects the idea of Weebos, they did not hesitate and made an exception to my weapon of choice.
Though my time with my Namodachi has been reduced ever since I adopted Habib, my Champion Arabian Warhorse, I feel like I have became a stronger man being able to use two different types of weapons and neither fails me when it matters the most.
Though one day I will stop playing and retire this game forever, My Namodachi and Habib will always be in my inventory.

read in this voice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMngjDMZTWo
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 09:56:49 am by robert_namo »

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 181
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Billy_Whitmore, Andre_Whitmore, Gideon_Stargrave
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2012, 07:24:35 pm »
+1
Thats the polearm version of the 2h "skills." Which if you don't already know is going 36/3, wearing plate and using a danish. Then whining when they refused to downblock during the large timeframe in which the polearm performed the helicopter circus act. Spinstabs and jumpstabs were all pikes/longspears had in the case their teammates died. Now we HAVE to switch to a 1h or 2h weapon and that is pretty damned stupid.

Pikes/Spears/Lances aren't the only polearms. As far as I'm concerned, Bec/War Spear/etc pretty much ARE 2H weapons, except you lolspin with pierce and polestagger. Even then, Pikes/etc are still effective support weapons without that neat little gimmick, you just can't really 1v1 with them which I think is the point. In any case, none of these changes are in NA sooo..

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2012, 08:28:15 pm »
Remove the polestun from those weapons, leave it on the support weapons. Then...I'll figure out how to do that spinning bs you are all so fond of with the slower turning rate. Just keep the polestun on the support weapons, remove from the rest.

The reason I argue pikes/spears/lances the most is because they are the ones that will be most heavily affected by these nerfs. A bec will be fine as it continues to act like a 2h. A longspear that can't polestun won't be as effective in supporting. Just as a longspear that is facehugged will now be doomed as he cannot hope to fight back. If we had an overhead stab...

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2012, 08:32:45 pm »
Remove the polestagger from those weapons, leave it on the support weapons. Then...I'll figure out how to do that spinning bs you are all so fond of with the slower turning rate. Just keep the polestagger on the support weapons, remove from the rest.

The reason I argue pikes/spears/lances the most is because they are the ones that will be most heavily affected by these nerfs. A bec will be fine as it continues to act like a 2h. A longspear that can't polestagger won't be as effective in supporting. Just as a longspear that is facehugged will now be doomed as he cannot hope to fight back. If we had an overhead stab...

I think the point is that if you're being facehugged and you have a weapon that is 10 feet long, you shouldn't be able to hit him....aside from maybe cross checking him like in hockey.   I dont' think it's a matter of "how do I hit him" when the guy is right up in your face...I think you either try to block til you get a teammate to help, separate the distance, or pull out a smaller weapon.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2012, 08:34:57 pm »
Spinstabs and jumpstabs were all pikes/longspears had in the case their teammates died. Now we HAVE to switch to a 1h or 2h weapon and that is pretty damned cool.

fixed!

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2012, 08:36:45 pm »
Huseby, I would totally agree to adding realism to the equation. However, I can only stab in one direction which means approaching me while holding your weapon down to your hip and blocking my stabs to your face is unrealistic.

Offline oprah_winfrey

• Marshall
  • Renown: 808
  • Infamy: 196
  • cRPG Player
  • Now look under your seat...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: JABONRA
  • Game nicks: Egan
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2012, 08:42:05 pm »
Your not stabbing past them, basically what i think your reffering to is when the pike'r/longspear user hits you at close range by spinning. This isnt stabbing past them and then some how spinning the point back in to hit, it is simply so you dont glance at close range. If you were to do the same attack without spinning you would 90% of the time glance, but spinning makes it possible to hit the "sweet spot" which gives longspear users a chance at winning close range (which has been made much harder since the turn speed nerf). But remeber all of these "abusive" mechanics are countered by a down block.

I think he is talking about when a pikeman stabs to the left or right of the enemy and when it is extended pulls it back to the enemy and hits them in the face with the side of the pike/long spear not the tip. What should be a slap in the face is actually 26 pierce to the face.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2012, 08:46:47 pm »
I think he is talking about when a pikeman stabs to the left or right of the enemy and when it is extended pulls it back to the enemy and hits them in the face with the side of the pike/long spear not the tip. What should be a slap in the face is actually 26 pierce to the face.

This.  Also, when stabbing around doorways or other players.  The side of the shaft hits, but it counts as a stab.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2012, 10:00:33 pm »
Huseby, I would totally agree to adding realism to the equation. However, I can only stab in one direction which means approaching me while holding your weapon down to your hip and blocking my stabs to your face is unrealistic.

OH right, and I'd totally advocate for that change as well.  I think another mod has overhead stabs with longer spears and lances, which would make a lot more sense than an overhead swing. 

I mistakenly thought you meant an overhead thrust would help you when someone is standing in your face...the new WotR alpha does a really nice job with the daggers.  They all stab, but there's 4 stab directions.  I'll try to take some screenshots of it later and post, but basically your character just rotates their wrists to stab in the 4 directions.  It might be a little tricky for people to detect which direction to block, but not for long spears.  It would be very obvious if the thrust is an overhead or a normal "down" thrust.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2012, 11:47:46 pm »
Thats what I mean... right now they are taking away everything a longspear / pike has other than poking someone fighting someone else. If I had something to better defend myself from a stray enemy that rushes me, I would be fine with the changes. But as it stands, I can block and pray someone saves me because I have 0 offensive capabilities when they hold their downblock be it from a distance or close range.

Offline Chasey

• Tournament Champion
  • Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Chase
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2012, 12:25:40 am »
Thats what I mean... right now they are taking away everything a longspear / pike has other than poking someone fighting someone else. If I had something to better defend myself from a stray enemy that rushes me, I would be fine with the changes. But as it stands, I can block and pray someone saves me because I have 0 offensive capabilities when they hold their downblock be it from a distance or close range.

There are still many tricks you can use and most still work even with the turn speed change, the only major problem atm is the hit detection but other than that if you are a decent longspear user you should still do some what fine in 1v1's.
I like to fart on cold windows and lick the condensation :D

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2012, 12:31:51 am »
Just can't manage to hit someone with my longspear anymore, it just feel like it goes "through" him, before bouncing on the ground, or just being ineffective.
Funniest one being after an easy kick, i couldn't even thrust at the guy...

Guess i'll have to practice the stupid timing, if the guy feints even once, i'm screwed. And at that moment, 50% of the players feints... while the other 45% hold attacks. (and of course, there's the 5% new players).
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;