Author Topic: Spinning around with polearms  (Read 3972 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2351
  • Infamy: 289
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: Spinning around with polearms
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2012, 04:29:29 pm »
Oh didn't think it was this since pole and 1h were affected by it too.

Well, my logic does like this.

Cmpx doesn't use spin stab as polearm player from what I saw. Lolstab is known as 2H "exploit", devs probably weren't aware that many poleam users and some onehanders rely on it. They probably thought it's gona be nerf for 2h lolstab and pike lolstab only and that other classes will stay unaffected.

Offline dynamike

• King
  • Renown: 1212
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Let's be friends again?
    • View Profile
    • The Remnants Clan Website
  • Faction: Stratia
  • Game nicks: Remnant_dynamike
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2012, 04:52:32 pm »
RIP Heavy Lance melee only dynamike  :cry:

Was nice while it lasted and always a surprise to the people I beat with it.
For while the fire in the heart of a single Remnant still burns... can Stratia truly have fallen?

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2012, 04:56:06 pm »
+1
Yeah I don't think the spinning thrusts and overheads were much of a problem, very rarely saw the overhead spinners with a great maul, and the spinning pike thrusts didn't seem like a huge problem either (just down block). 

I think "turning" into your swings was too heavily nerfed, if you're turning more than 180 degrees then the nerf should take effect, but even turning 90 degrees into your stab will sometimes cause it to stop stabbing (even though the animation continues it seems like).

Like a couple others have said, and the first time Berenger posted something even remotely logical, is the real issue.  The problem is if someone is standing next to you, your 15 foot weapon shouldn't be able to hit them.  That's the problem, not the spinning stabs.  This is the same reason it's possible to bump-couch, or bump-thrust with a heavy lance. 

And I hear ya dyna, I still use my MW heavy lance when I'm playing footman because I don't want to risk losing crafting for strategus.  I've still been able to do decent with it in squad fighting, but it was never a 1v1 weapon (although you can use it 1v1 and come out on top, longer spears and lances are support weapons).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2012, 05:12:10 pm »
+1
Yeah, it's better to fix the too-close-thrust than the spin-thrust.

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2012, 06:52:31 pm »
This gonna make me have to bring a sidearm to my long spear isn't it? Great...Choose a Polearm as a main weapon, but when shit hits the fan you have to switch to a 1h or 2h. Balance.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2012, 09:00:18 pm »
+3
I was refering to the post where you said that "2h are getting a nice surprise" which made me think that 2h are getting a nerf.

Oh, that was completely made up just to mess with a couple of 2h whiners celebrating on that thread.

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2012, 09:18:07 pm »
IMO you shouldnt be able to stab past someones head then spin into it and kill them its just retarded. Maybe give pikes and spears more stab damage. its what they are used for.. not jumping around like a damn helicopter abusing the mechanics and calling it skillz

we do need some new combat mechanics but real ones that actually look good and are not just abusing mechanics :P

a pike being braced against a foot that deals couched lvl damage to a horse would be epic among other things. crouch etc
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 09:24:33 pm by Osiris »
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2012, 09:25:53 pm »
+1
Thats the polearm version of the 2h "skills." Which if you don't already know is going 36/3, wearing plate and using a danish. Then whining when they refused to downblock during the large timeframe in which the polearm performed the helicopter circus act. Spinstabs and jumpstabs were all pikes/longspears had in the case their teammates died. Now we HAVE to switch to a 1h or 2h weapon and that is pretty damned stupid.

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2012, 09:32:54 pm »
+3
that is crpg :P

most people want the ability to jump around like conan swinging impossibly big swords at incredible speed killing everyone instantly while all other weapon types are slow and deal next to no damage :D
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Chasey

• Tournament Champion
  • Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Chase
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2012, 10:24:45 pm »
+1
IMO you shouldnt be able to stab past someones head then spin into it and kill them its just retarded

Your not stabbing past them, basically what i think your reffering to is when the pike'r/longspear user hits you at close range by spinning. This isnt stabbing past them and then some how spinning the point back in to hit, it is simply so you dont glance at close range. If you were to do the same attack without spinning you would 90% of the time glance, but spinning makes it possible to hit the "sweet spot" which gives longspear users a chance at winning close range (which has been made much harder since the turn speed nerf). But remeber all of these "abusive" mechanics are countered by a down block.
I like to fart on cold windows and lick the condensation :D

Offline Sloops

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2012, 10:48:20 pm »
I've found that even with a high-agi longsword build fighting against a good spinner was simply a pain. You pretty much need to dodge the stab as blocking doesn't leave you much time to do anything.

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2012, 04:32:14 am »
+1

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2012, 04:34:16 am »
Your not stabbing past them, basically what i think your reffering to is when the pike'r/longspear user hits you at close range by spinning. This isnt stabbing past them and then some how spinning the point back in to hit, it is simply so you dont glance at close range. If you were to do the same attack without spinning you would 90% of the time glance, but spinning makes it possible to hit the "sweet spot" which gives longspear users a chance at winning close range (which has been made much harder since the turn speed nerf). But remeber all of these "abusive" mechanics are countered by a down block.
But, shocking as it may be, longspear users should not be winning at close range anyway.

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2012, 04:35:21 am »
that is crpg :P

most people want the ability to jump around like conan swinging impossibly big swords at incredible speed killing everyone instantly while all other weapon types are slow and deal next to no damage :D

Nice summary I think.

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2012, 04:35:51 am »
+1
They shouldn't, but they prey on the incompetence of those who are so kill hungry they don't block in the ONE direction that the longspear can use...and now, they can't even do that.