Author Topic: What kind of map would you like us to make?  (Read 5899 times)

Offline Ronan

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Phoenix Company
  • Game nicks: Ronan PxC
What kind of map would you like us to make?
« on: March 29, 2011, 02:28:01 pm »
Lately, with all the new maps out there people are feeling a bit annoyed about the quality it seems. Now Scene Editors dont know what you want unless you tell them. We would like to make quality maps everyone can enjoy. This is a topic to give the players a voice in what we, the Scene Editors, put out there. We would like you to post ideas of maps as best as you can describe them. Show pictures of themes that you would like to see. Tells what doesnt work for you, what does, and what could. If we can get a general idea of what you, the people, want we can make it. If you dont post anything, nothing will change. You will get our best, but you wont get what you want unless we know. So please, post it here. And when something new pops into that head post again and again and again. The more ideas that can be voiced the more ideas we can bring to life. Thank you and keep spilling blood on our maps...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 12:34:17 am by Ronan »

Offline Mustikki

• Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
Re: What kind of map would you like us to make?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 08:30:44 pm »
Make high quality maps that makes sense, so we can add them to Eu servers too.

When you have done a map, use double as much time to fine tune them, and don't be afraid to change obstacles, and the way, the map has been planned to play.
- We don't like flying obstacles
- Objects that doesn't make any sense to be at the region

Offline Nogar

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Nogar, Aethril, Devorath
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 08:50:27 pm »
dont make maps with giant bridges, or alot of castle parts squeezed together
not a huge city
please dont do giant maps that half of the team ends up lost, or it takes hours to reach the enemy
and try not to rip off CS maps too, and none of those big hill battle
maybe a camp attacked by the other team? or a farm, maybe roof battles...
but nothing too fancy, dont try and put nonsense stuff that makes the map ugly

:rolleyes:
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 09:02:37 pm by Nogar »

Offline Ronan

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 04:18:37 pm »
Great ideas so far. I for one know that HUGE cities dont really please people anymore... And I will make a small farm(assult/Battle) map where one teams the "farmers" and the others are the "wild savages" that attack the farm. As soon as i saw that idea a whole lotta ideas came flowing through. That will be my second, maybe third map, since I got a battle map in the works based off the ruined city of Osgiliath from LOTR.

I also have an idea for the "roof top battle" idea: completely roof top battle where the ground level is actually under water. As if the town was flooded. Basically i just wont allow people to go into the water by putting up barriers and they will have to navigate rooftop to rooftop. I just wish I could be clever enough to work 5 maps all at once.

What would you guys think of a siege map where the map is completely castle(not a HUGE one) and the attackers actually started inside the castle, but in the dungeon? Basically they have to break out of prison and work their way up through the castle and to the flag.

Keep flowing with the ideas!

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 04:25:11 pm »
What would you guys think of a siege map where the map is completely castle(not a HUGE one) and the attackers actually started inside the castle, but in the dungeon? Basically they have to break out of prison and work their way up through the castle and to the flag.
That would be very interesting and I would like it, as I always thought maps like Sky Castle would have made better siege maps then Battle maps.

Just make sure that there are multiple ways around, some small passages and a few big ones too. Made murder holes in the ceiling for a few places lest you forget. Some of the map should be outside, say a courtyard somehwere perhaps to avoid being entirely a rat maze.

You could always put the flag in a throne room, and have a second story (Balcony) to the place to allow an extra layer for archers and vaulting melee users, then have the main entrance and perhaps a stair or two to the balcony, one or two balcony doors and perhaps a back door behind the throne.

It would be difficult at first to make sure it is just the right level of hardness for the attackers to take the throne, but on the other hand it would be a wonderful change.

I highly encourage you to do such a thing.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Spa_geh_tea

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 114
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearded Vagrant
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 06:15:19 pm »
I'd like to see the use of the siege game-play for more than just castle assaults. In other words, battle like maps with an object other than just killing the entire team.

Alternative scenarios using siege mode:
-capture the caravan (goods, maybe a princess in a carriage, important documents....whatever might be in a caravan)
-protect the kings body (wallace's Thermopylae map? defend Leonidas's body from the Persians?)
-Gaulish raid on a roman camp (steal their eagle!)
-The battle scene from mongol where they flipped their carts over and defended that mini hill pass
-A mock up of omaha beach, capture the bunker
-Set cao cao's flag ship on fire from "red cliff"
-Defend hill331 from Company of Heroes
-Cave battle to steal smeegles ring
-Defenders sally from the castle to raid the enemy camp
-Raid a town to poison the aqueduct

Offline Wallace

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WallaceBRD
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 06:18:04 pm »
As soon as I'm done with the ever piling mess of work I've dumped on myself I plan on making a siege map that is like what would be the castle guard get a report of an impending siege and they have to fight uphill to take a siege encampment to stop it before it starts

Also the current map i'm working on is going to have an underground keep within a keep
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 06:22:09 pm by Wallace »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 06:19:19 pm »
I like City maps with houses that you can enter like nord town
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Durton_mustachier

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 07:05:27 pm »
Create a swamp/mire map. This would be an overall flat landscape with pockets of shallow water (nothing higher than the waist) evenly dispersed throughout the entire map, but with no large expanses of water. I think mixed vegetation would work well (trees and shrubs in different areas). There would be no rocks / boulders. Most obstacles would be fallen trees or perhaps the occasional broken down cart from someone who attempted to pass through the area.
This picture is pretty close to what I am thinking of.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 07:21:34 pm »
I'd like to see the use of the siege game-play for more than just castle assaults. In other words, battle like maps with an object other than just killing the entire team.

Alternative scenarios using siege mode:
-capture the caravan (goods, maybe a princess in a carriage, important documents....whatever might be in a caravan)
-protect the kings body (wallace's Thermopylae map? defend Leonidas's body from the Persians?)
-Gaulish raid on a roman camp (steal their eagle!)
-The battle scene from mongol where they flipped their carts over and defended that mini hill pass
-A mock up of omaha beach, capture the bunker
-Set cao cao's flag ship on fire from "red cliff"
-Defend hill331 from Company of Heroes
-Cave battle to steal smeegles ring
-Defenders sally from the castle to raid the enemy camp
-Raid a town to poison the aqueduct

Most of these would not work, because defenders have a big disadvantage in siege: they have to wait 30 seconds to spawn. Defenders NEED walls. And not just a simple set of walls, as many maps (e.g. Rudkhan Castle) demonstrate.

To get such scenarios even halfway working in siege, you'd have to shape the natural terrain in a way that funnels attackers through chokepoints, and also make them walk quite the distance, so they have it harder to gather in one tight group.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline ToxicKilla

• Knight
  • Renown: 79
  • Infamy: 8
  • For England, and Saint George!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Killmoar_the_Lone_Knight
  • IRC nick: ToxicKilla
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 09:40:36 pm »
Create a swamp/mire map. This would be an overall flat landscape with pockets of shallow water (nothing higher than the waist) evenly dispersed throughout the entire map, but with no large expanses of water. I think mixed vegetation would work well (trees and shrubs in different areas). There would be no rocks / boulders. Most obstacles would be fallen trees or perhaps the occasional broken down cart from someone who attempted to pass through the area.
This picture is pretty close to what I am thinking of.

I'm making something like that already :D But with some dense bits of tree's

Offline Durton_mustachier

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 12:16:57 am »
Awesome. I was thinking of "dense bits of trees" as well that would act as coverage and battle focal points.

Offline haxKingdom

• Knight
  • Renown: 27
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 12:34:43 am »
one where the attackers spawn on the outside and have to go through cavern tunnels which go almost vertically down and the castle underneath is surrounded with a death pit and the only way to open the drawbridge is to follow a spiraled bridge which connects on the other side and to provide the light above the castle si a really bright diamond hanging from a stalactite. and the flag is inside the center of the castle in a hut with a breakable door.

Offline Ronan

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 03:01:12 am »
You want us to make hell?haha...

Offline Wallace

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WallaceBRD
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 06:30:15 pm »
What Hax is saying is the community wants us to make maps that are impossible to make