Author Topic: Version 0.286  (Read 94409 times)

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
Re: Version 0.286
« Reply #435 on: June 12, 2012, 06:19:51 pm »
+1
I think it would reduce the amount of complaints and "bad/wrong" suggestions massively.

I respectfully disagree. Whiners gonna whine, even if we tell them exactly where the game is going. The only difference is that it gives them one more chance to whine.

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #436 on: June 12, 2012, 06:27:49 pm »
I respectfully disagree. Whiners gonna whine, even if we tell them exactly where the game is going. The only difference is that it gives them one more chance to whine.

Yes, but you will always have the "It's our mod. Fuck you" argument, which can't be countered. But if you don't say what you want, people start guessing, and they start argumenting about what would be best and so on...

But if you say: "We want the game to feel like the movie 300, with blood stains, slow motion and oiled bodies", things would be clear. I don't think people would start with "Why don't you make it more like Kingdom of Heaven, with handsome knights, noble blacksmiths and realistic fights?" suggestions, at least 99,9% wouldn't.

It's your mod, so you decide what is to be done. If anyone dares to suggest/demand something different, just say "Our mod. GTFO" and you're done. Especially because you don't care too much about the opinion of the majority. You don't try to please everyone.

In case this is directed towards me (or at least players like me, of what I´m sure):
Joker is the only one who actually tried to understand US, the people that were "crying", kudos for that.

I understand you now ( I guess) and I will find weapons/builds/classes I enjoy to play (I had no doubt about that anyway), for example I enjoy my archer alt now, especially that a good old RL friend who left crpg now got mw archer gear and wants to pew pew with me :)

I´m fine, even if I can only play a pure support role with my favorite polearm  :D

Glad to hear you arranged yourself with the changes.  :D
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: June 12, 2012, 06:31:40 pm »
So if I play more I'll start liking spinstabs? Cool.
Maybe it was the same with one-shot-one-kill archery, people didn't like it because they didn't play enough. Gonna put it back in the game immediately now that I know.
To have a valid opinion on what needs to be changed gameplay wise you should atleast play more than I have seen you do. Ofcourse I have no clue about all your secret identities so I hope the decisions you make are atleast based on a dozen hours of gameplay instead of 5 minutes.

Offline BlameMeForTheNoise

• Count
  • Renown: 189
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Varangian Guards
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Sonjarr
« Reply #438 on: June 12, 2012, 06:32:26 pm »

Hey cmp: Remember that "Arguing on the internet"-quote?   :wink:

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: June 12, 2012, 06:33:19 pm »
+1
With all due respect to everyone:

(click to show/hide)

Of course we will have bugs and of course we will have flawed implementations and updates. The mod is still in beta(god knows for how much longer), but that also means that we, the community, can be useful for the developers. One of my suggestions that I just spontaneously wrote in my thread was read by cmp and actually approved, and I suspect he will use my suggestion in a future patch. If anything, this clearly says they are willing to listen to us and not only change things that bother them or that they thought needed improving. So if something's wrong with a new change, simply suggest a better one.

And lastly, nobody's paying them. I don't know how many more times we will forget this. Can't expect big-title quality when the guys behind it don't get a single dime, can we?
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Teeth

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: June 12, 2012, 06:34:25 pm »
+2
It will forever be a beta, we all know that.

Offline BlameMeForTheNoise

• Count
  • Renown: 189
  • Infamy: 21
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Varangian Guards
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Sonjarr
« Reply #441 on: June 12, 2012, 06:34:39 pm »

Don't let yourself get provoked to actually participate. Its useless.
btw: after first hearing of this change I raged internally like a russian without vodka. After testing it out I have to say:
Its actually a good change.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #442 on: June 12, 2012, 06:37:29 pm »
To have a valid opinion on what needs to be changed gameplay wise you should atleast play more than I have seen you do. Ofcourse I have no clue about all your secret identities so I hope the decisions you make are atleast based on a dozen hours of gameplay instead of 5 minutes.

I think you misread the guy's post and my reply. He was talking about liking the changes...

I love arguing on the internet when my program is compiling.

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: June 12, 2012, 06:38:32 pm »
Do you ever tire of pointing out errors in people's logic or posts?  8-)
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Phyrex

• Count
  • Renown: 192
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 22nd Battalion
  • Game nicks: 22nd_Overlord_Phyrex
« Reply #444 on: June 12, 2012, 06:43:21 pm »
+3
There we go, 20 minutes of reading through this heap of comical gold that is this thread.

I have to give it to the 'realism advocates', they're probably among the most retarded groups of this community, even outshining the fanboys(Bjord and other brown nosers).
Free Bjordhinn!

Offline Teeth

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: June 12, 2012, 06:49:30 pm »
There we go, 20 minutes of reading through this heap of comical gold that is this thread.

I have to give it to the 'realism advocates', they're probably among the most retarded groups of this community, even outshining the fanboys(Bjord and other brown nosers).
Define fanboys

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #446 on: June 12, 2012, 06:52:39 pm »
In case this is directed towards me (or at least players like me, of what I´m sure):
Joker is the only one who actually tried to understand US, the people that were "crying", kudos for that.

I understand you now ( I guess) and I will find weapons/builds/classes I enjoy to play (I had no doubt about that anyway), for example I enjoy my archer alt now, especially that a good old RL friend who left crpg now got mw archer gear and wants to pew pew with me :)

I´m fine, even if I can only play a pure support role with my favorite polearm  :D

See? And that's where you completely underestimated me. I can completely understand a prior rage and anger.
But complaining about it for 20 pages in here just pissed me off.
And things like "killed my class"? You think anyone takes those statements serious when there are still dozens of piker playing and killing on the server.

Complaints are okay. Once, maybe twice but not that much exaggeration.
And saying "I gonna quit now" is just ridiculous and sad. Get a life you lot.  8-)
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Phyrex

• Count
  • Renown: 192
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 22nd Battalion
  • Game nicks: 22nd_Overlord_Phyrex
« Reply #447 on: June 12, 2012, 06:57:32 pm »
+2
Define fanboys

The "Fanboys" are people who agree with everything the devs do and implement in an overly enthusiastic, bordering on sadistically, manner. These people are basically the ones who drop the soap in prisons, and they enjoy it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan, just not a "Fanboy".
Free Bjordhinn!

Offline Joker86

• Mad & Bad
  • King
  • Renown: 1226
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player
  • Why so serious?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Companions
  • Game nicks: Joker86_TP
« Reply #448 on: June 12, 2012, 07:04:44 pm »
The "Fanboys" are people who agree with everything the devs do and implement in an overly enthusiastic, bordering on sadistically, manner. These people are basically the ones who drop the soap in prisons, and they enjoy it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan, just not a "Fanboy".

I don't think there is a single person in the community which always agreed with the changes the developers implemented. That I like the last few changes doesn't mean I am a brown noser. I still think, the entire upkeep system is subpar (which is a core game mechanic, after all!), and a few other changes are needed more than tweaking melee mechanics (e.g. commander system, remove battle as standard game mode and so on).

So I think insulting people because of their different opinion should not be what we come down to.
Joker makes a very good point.
î saved for eternety (without context  :mrgreen:)

Offline Endo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: June 12, 2012, 07:04:59 pm »
He was talking about liking the changes...

I was clearly wrong to make a blanket statement about what people like. But, and I'm not being facetious, can anybody explain how the turn speed change makes the game more fun (without referring to exploits or realism)? To give my take on it for perspective, I feel that it makes combat less natural because my speed randomly changes when I try to do certain attacks, on top of all the other arguments such as it slows the game down and makes it harder to fight more than one person at a time. I also feel it devalues the stab and more importantly the overhead and promotes playstyles like backpedal and right swing (especially with polearms), which I can't imagine was intentional.