Poll

Would you like to see this?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Cancel thrusting animations after turning a certain amount  (Read 5912 times)

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
Re: Cancel thrusting animations after turning a certain amount
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2012, 12:51:18 pm »
mh, those are two different points. first, I think it is a good thing you can spin-thrust into an approaching horse, regardless the weapon. If someone notices a cav that wants to rape him from behind in the last second he should not be handicapped.

second, every good lancer proofs that this is not true. If I try to 2h stab aslan chagan (or what is his name?) or Tommyy back in the days or someone else that good I am doomed. Only cavs that approach too close can be beaten with a greatsword (and those are even voulnerable to 1h thrusts). Also this has nothing to do with turning during the thrust-animation, you need only to strafe right and left and time your thrust.
if you notice it to late you can jump out the way...
Spinthrusting is gay...
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2012, 01:39:10 pm »
mh, those are two different points. first, I think it is a good thing you can spin-thrust into an approaching horse, regardless the weapon. If someone notices a cav that wants to rape him from behind in the last second he should not be handicapped.

second, every good lancer proofs that this is not true. If I try to 2h stab aslan chagan (or what is his name?) or Tommyy back in the days or someone else that good I am doomed. Only cavs that approach too close can be beaten with a greatsword (and those are even voulnerable to 1h thrusts). Also this has nothing to do with turning during the thrust-animation, you need only to strafe right and left and time your thrust.

Maybe you should ask them, but I don't think they will tell you they outrange 2h thrusts very often, or rather count on it to stay alive. 100% of the lancers I know avoid 2h regardless of their ability to hit first, because it's not worth the risk.

Spinthrusting does matter though, because of the sprint mechanisms, it's faster to move "forward" constantly and turn using your mouse, which is what some people use to make dodging and hitting cav even easier.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2012, 02:22:26 pm »
Spinthrusting does matter though, because of the sprint mechanisms, it's faster to move "forward" constantly and turn using your mouse, which is what some people use to make dodging and hitting cav even easier.
I don't know what your describing and can't imaging surviving cav with it.
Anyway, the more I think about it, it would probably don't hurt cav-defense too much because in 95% of the cases I turn and then thrust.

And again, if the thrust of the lance is timed perfect you can do nothing with 2h thrust. But it is very hard to time that good and when I play cav myself I die everytime I go near a 2h. It is more easy to strafe left with the horse as well risking that you not hit him yourself.

Offline Germanicus

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 110
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2012, 02:35:09 pm »
+2
good ideas but when you are speaking about good ol times...add overhead stap and  make able to couchepike as footmen( same as lancers do with pressing x just for pikmens on foot) that they can run into the enemy and kill them
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else." - Winston Churchill

Offline Ujio

• Knight
  • Renown: 70
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2012, 11:36:46 pm »
Yeah, I was thinking the same. Once the person has committed to the attack, they should only be able to turn, lets say, 45 degrees to the left or right. If they want to turn more they'll have to either cancel the attack or wait till the attack is finished. This would make good footwork more rewarding, as it would actually be possible to dodge an attack.

I was also thinking that maybe the degree to which you can turn, could improve as wpf gets higher, with respective weapon.

Maybe for example less than 100 wpf means you can turn 45 degrees to the left or right once committed to the attack.
100 wpf means you can turn 50 degrees.
135 wpf means you can turn 55 degrees.
And 170+ wpf means you can turn 60 degrees, which would be the cap on turning ability.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"By protecting Men, you save yourself."

Offline PieParadox

• Count
  • Renown: 219
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: PieParadox
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2012, 01:41:21 am »
To me CRPG is all about the freedom of what you can do... Freedom of motion.
This game mechanic doesn't need to be added in just because long spear users can 1v1 competently.

However, 1h stab needs fixing.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2012, 02:31:46 am »
No, melee combat needs variation such as spinning thrusts to stay fun, removing things like this will make some weapons really boring to use.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2012, 02:58:19 am »
+1
I had to vote yes, it's just ridiculous seeing polearms spinning around like that. Maybe it would balance out if they gave the 2 directional polearms left and right stab animations. ( gl finding good animations for that)
Pock gobblers

Offline LastKaze

• Baron
  • Renown: 126
  • Infamy: 38
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: LastKaze
  • IRC nick: LastKaze
« Reply #68 on: June 05, 2012, 03:40:23 am »
+1
Stop this long spear spin crap, and in return give them the overhead thrust animation like in Napoleonic Wars.

Offline OpenPalm

• Baron
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Thes
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2012, 04:57:46 am »
What if it was more like real life?  You know... fast?  Stabbing animations are so silly looking.  Come on, you've all seen fencing:  Fast as lightning fights that are over in seconds with a flurry of stabs.  I'm not proposing we do anything THAT fast but still... if stabbing animations were faster, all this lolthrusting shit wouldn't be a problem.  Really you could turn your body quickly and stab at the same time, but it wouldn't look anything like what we have now.
Quote from: Smoothrich
Racism against our chinese gold grinding brothers.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2012, 05:23:28 am »
+4
Maybe your turn speed while attacking (thrust, slash, anything) could be slowed based on the length/weight of the weapon? That makes the most "realism" sense to me. Either that, or reducing damage if you spin too fast.

Maybe increasing your WPF could reduce the penalty?

In any case, I feel like tweaking things would be better than straight up removing it from the game.

What if it was more like real life?  You know... fast?  Stabbing animations are so silly looking.  Come on, you've all seen fencing:  Fast as lightning fights that are over in seconds with a flurry of stabs.  I'm not proposing we do anything THAT fast but still... if stabbing animations were faster, all this lolthrusting shit wouldn't be a problem.  Really you could turn your body quickly and stab at the same time, but it wouldn't look anything like what we have now.

It makes sense that you are able to turn around quickly while thrusting with a dagger or light sword. But if you had a 3 meter long pike it would be like paddling an oar through water. That's why I think length and weight should be part of some equation that slows you, reduces your damage, or adds a stagger like the "unbalanced" property when you spin with a huge weapon.

As much as I loved being a whirlwind barbarian in Diablo II, this is not a fantasy game, said forums user "A_Hot_Elf_Princess"
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 06:40:36 am by A_Hot_Elf_Princess »

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline kono yaro!

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 127
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: b0nk
« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2012, 07:04:08 am »
im ok w/ this... if you remove hiltslashing from 2h

Offline Rainbow

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2012, 06:34:02 pm »
I'm down!  Remove the crazy!!!

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2012, 07:45:44 pm »
Maybe you should ask them, but I don't think they will tell you they outrange 2h thrusts very often, or rather count on it to stay alive. 100% of the lancers I know avoid 2h regardless of their ability to hit first, because it's not worth the risk.

I avoid them.  The only way I can outreach them (with the current lance radius) is to be turning my horse as I come in for the thrust.  But it requires me to know/guess where someone will be at a point in time.  If they move directly in front of my horse (or basically into my turn) then they out reach my lance by hitting my horses head.  If they side step out of my turn radius, then they have a chance to side swing as they jump and take off my head.  it's just not worth fucking with them unless they are engaged.

And even if I time it perfectly, and the 2h'er remains in place, if they have a great sword/flamberge, etc there's still a good chance they'll out reach my lance with their "ghost" reach.  2h animations are nice.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Vkvkvk

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2012, 07:44:29 am »
Even though more attack directions and more diversified mechanics would be a good thing, I do believe speeding up the game would make blockfests more intense and enjoyable even for those that avoid them.

Besides, there's more to it than just blocks. Feints, holds and chamberblocks make it very interesting but that aspect of M&B combat has been gradually overshadowed by footwork and cheap tricks, even though being still valid against 95% of the playerbase. I can even say that ratio increases because people are forgetting how to block when they only need to move and spam.

Cheap trips and Footwork lumped into the same category? What the flying fuck.

Also, from what I've heard, you're a cavalry, so obviously all these feints, holds and chamberblocks might look all fancy to you, but at this point stuff like that can be done with the same ease as regular blocking. Chambers can be done on split second decisions while jacking off, holds aren't all that hard, you just release your mouse button a few milliseconds later, feints are equally as easy.