6 (2.6%)
Server: US (E): Waterson
14 (6.2%)
Server: EU: Woodman
50 (22%)
Server: EU: Miller
31 (13.7%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Author Topic: Planetside 2 - MMOFPS  (Read 106163 times)

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
Re: Planetside 2 - MMOFPS
« Reply #765 on: November 25, 2012, 06:49:48 pm »
i wouldnt say £120 or so for a good one this close to xmas is worth it :P my pc plays every other game ive got fine so ill just stick to them :P
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #766 on: November 25, 2012, 07:55:14 pm »
Yep I'm more than capable of running most AAA titles on medium/max graphics without any noticeable FPS drop, ive also played for long enough with good fps in the beta to know my hardware is more than capable of handling the game.  Most of my issue comes from the combination of crappy connetion and fps drop.
Turtles

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 181
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Billy_Whitmore, Andre_Whitmore, Gideon_Stargrave
« Reply #767 on: November 25, 2012, 08:12:15 pm »
I have intel core 2quad cpu 8300 2.5gz processer, Nvidia gtx 450 and 6gb ram if thats not enough for the game to be playable on lowest settings then i wont play :D too expensive to upgrade

I'm running on an old conroe quad as well, q9550 though + radeon 6870. Runs decent on medium but it looks like poo :(
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
« Reply #768 on: November 26, 2012, 02:11:18 am »
RAM has very little to do with that, you're CPU/GPU bound.

Mostly CPU bound, the game is fucking retarded when it comes to the processor since it has to render so many models/characters.

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: November 26, 2012, 02:51:13 am »
but as soon as you go inside it all turns into a mindless meat grinder.
the worst meatgrinding seems to be waiting a long while for a place to be captured and all the while fighting over the spawnroom doors, its really stupid mechanics really. I imagine they will change otherwise 50% of the gameplay is spawncamping.

I think if you got a squad and concentrate on taking undefended positions, you will see a lot of +1000 XP.
this is another stupid thing. you only get exp for being there in last second of capture, and NONE for defenses. ive like rambo'd posts captured points, killed squads and got no reward once i cant respawn back in the area.

so a good way to farm exp is just fly around, look for areas about to be captured and make sure your in the area at the right time.

I really wish I could play right now, I would even be tempted to join your fachist TR outfit. not sure if i will find the time to play this once darkfall is out tho.

Offline Banok

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: November 26, 2012, 03:00:32 am »
RAM has very little to do with that, you're CPU/GPU bound.

my bros PC is 2.67hz e6750, 2gb ram, gtx550ti. like i said it can get 50fps on lowest but unplayble lag in combat.

he might get some more ram but Im not sure how much difference it will make, ddr2 ram is such a ripoff now. I think the cpu mayb the problem. what you guys reckon?

Offline Lemmy_Winks

• Count
  • Renown: 241
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lemmy_Winks
« Reply #771 on: November 26, 2012, 03:57:48 am »
my bros PC is 2.67hz e6750, 2gb ram, gtx550ti. like i said it can get 50fps on lowest but unplayble lag in combat.

he might get some more ram but Im not sure how much difference it will make, ddr2 ram is such a ripoff now. I think the cpu mayb the problem. what you guys reckon?

Recommended specs are a 6 core proccesor if ur amd, or 5 core if your intel. That processor i believe is a 2 core processor, which would mean it falls well short of the 5 core recommended settings, the ghz isnt really that important nowadays just the core count. nVidia GeForce 500 series or higher / AMD HD 6870 or higher for graphics cards. 2GB of Ram is definitly low, however i cannot remember having problems due to low ram, but it really should atleast be 4 gigs, he does not even meet the minimum requirements for ram which is 4. The graphics card is fine i think.

For any game poor performance can almost always be blamed on the graphics card, while yours isnt great with a strong CPU it should be adequate. Its possible youd benefit more from a new graphics card, but in this case a CPU might help more when you consider the costs of upgrading.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 04:04:29 am by Lemmy_Winks »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Banok

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: November 26, 2012, 07:08:31 am »
Recommended specs are a 6 core proccesor if ur amd, or 5 core if your intel. That processor i believe is a 2 core processor, which would mean it falls well short of the 5 core recommended settings, the ghz isnt really that important nowadays just the core count. nVidia GeForce 500 series or higher / AMD HD 6870 or higher for graphics cards. 2GB of Ram is definitly low, however i cannot remember having problems due to low ram, but it really should atleast be 4 gigs, he does not even meet the minimum requirements for ram which is 4. The graphics card is fine i think.

For any game poor performance can almost always be blamed on the graphics card, while yours isnt great with a strong CPU it should be adequate. Its possible youd benefit more from a new graphics card, but in this case a CPU might help more when you consider the costs of upgrading.

its my old pc with a newer gfx card, so the cpu/ram is pretty behind but it barely actually matters for most games. its been a while since i payed attention to this stuff but more than 2 cores didnt used to give any advantage to gaming fps.
and while games are probably alot better optimised for quad now I really doubt that: "the ghz isnt really that important nowadays just the core count" is true.
you talk about 5 cores, I think you mean i5 which is 4 cores.

I found the minimum specs
http://help.station.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35012/p/5833

according to that it only needs 2gb more ram, but its hard to believe it would actually make the difference from unplayable to playable.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: November 26, 2012, 07:36:11 am »
so a good way to farm exp is just fly around, look for areas about to be captured and make sure your in the area at the right time.

Nah, a good way to farm XP is Tech Plant, which is the equivalent of Metro in Battlefield 3, pure meatgrind. Biolab is a bit less meatgrindy, but also good. Bombarding infantry with rocket pods is also a good way to fast xp, I've been doing that almost the entire sunday, getting massive killstreaks :)

I really wish I could play right now, I would even be tempted to join your fachist TR outfit.

If you call fighting terrorism in order to make the world a safer place for our (and your) families fascism, then we are fascists indeed.

As for the game, I honestly though I'd be bored of it by now, but I'm not at all. And it's not ranks/certs that keep me playing, I still find it immensely fun.  I guess it also helps that we have a regular 8-12 man squad running, because this is where the game really shines. I doubt I'd have fun for this long if I was solo.
Only gripe I have with the game is that there's little persistence/consequences for losing a base. If you lose a base you can just recapture it the next minute. I know this keeps the people fighting, but I still wish there would be some kind of lockdown once it's been captured. This also makes defending bases a bit pointless, and I'd love to be on defense more often. Would also love warpgate assaults and completely locking some faction out of the continent.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 08:07:04 am by Vibe »

Offline Fips

• King
  • Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #774 on: November 26, 2012, 10:55:25 am »
By the way, if you got some leftover-SCs, there is a vehicle pack and a weapon bundle for sale. Just bought it yesterday, so i haven't really had the chance to try everything out, but from the looks of it, it's worth buying.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: November 26, 2012, 11:10:56 am »
By the way, if you got some leftover-SCs, there is a vehicle pack and a weapon bundle for sale. Just bought it yesterday, so i haven't really had the chance to try everything out, but from the looks of it, it's worth buying.

I bought the vehicle pack for the Mosquito primary gun and the HE tank gun, which is great for burning infantry. That golden thingy you can stick on vehicle hoods is also cool :D

pimp mah rideeee

Offline Casimir

• King
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: November 26, 2012, 11:21:59 am »
Nah, a good way to farm XP is Tech Plant, which is the equivalent of Metro in Battlefield 3, pure meatgrind. Biolab is a bit less meatgrindy, but also good. Bombarding infantry with rocket pods is also a good way to fast xp, I've been doing that almost the entire sunday, getting massive killstreaks :)

If you call fighting terrorism in order to make the world a safer place for our (and your) families fascism, then we are fascists indeed.

As for the game, I honestly though I'd be bored of it by now, but I'm not at all. And it's not ranks/certs that keep me playing, I still find it immensely fun.  I guess it also helps that we have a regular 8-12 man squad running, because this is where the game really shines. I doubt I'd have fun for this long if I was solo.
Only gripe I have with the game is that there's little persistence/consequences for losing a base. If you lose a base you can just recapture it the next minute. I know this keeps the people fighting, but I still wish there would be some kind of lockdown once it's been captured. This also makes defending bases a bit pointless, and I'd love to be on defense more often. Would also love warpgate assaults and completely locking some faction out of the continent.

Base lock down makes for incredibly stactic and boring game play that simply encourages people to defend for fear of loosing a chain of bases to back hackers and being unable to regain them for some time.

Also Calradian RePublican Guard need to make our presence on the other continents more known.  We're dominating Amerish 24/7, lets go get some snow cones or something. :D
Turtles

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: November 26, 2012, 11:29:05 am »
Base lock down makes for incredibly stactic and boring game play that simply encourages people to defend for fear of loosing a chain of bases to back hackers and being unable to regain them for some time.

Also Calradian RePublican Guard need to make our presence on the other continents more known.  We're dominating Amerish 24/7, lets go get some snow cones or something. :D

I'm up for some Esamir action today. Not particularly fond of Indar, because the bases are too close together and there's always zerging and little room for surprises. Amerish we play a lot already :)

Free Esamir of terrorism!

Offline Casimir

• King
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: November 26, 2012, 03:33:08 pm »
Yeah indar is the most balanced of the maps with really easily defendable flash points such as the crown. This in my opinion makes for static game play as the zerg is far less effective, atlhough it does allow for the larger, organized outfits to have a much more significant impact.

I also heard last night that the nords have joined the Vanu traitors. Luckily for them they have chosen to not play on woodman and as such are out of the reach of the glorious Calradian RePublican Guard!

I would like to suggest we get together for an official OPS night, where we give ourselves a target to achieve for the republic and see that it is done.  Do some prior planning and get multiple squads involved if we can get enough people together!
Turtles

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: November 26, 2012, 03:36:01 pm »
I would like to suggest we get together for an official OPS night, where we give ourselves a target to achieve for the republic and see that it is done.  Do some prior planning and get multiple squads involved if we can get enough people together!

Would like that. There are slight problems with leading squads right now, as we have a lot of rookies that are still getting over the basics and don't really have a clue how to get around the map. We can try being more organized though.