Author Topic: grapple move for polearms  (Read 2929 times)

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: grapple move for polearms
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2012, 01:30:31 am »
ahahahaha, this guy
i take this as a yes.

and 2h have the spead,the damage oh and that silly aniamtions what makes them mostly have an higher reach then many polearms

yes, the spinstabs of a 2h are quite annoying as well, but on the other hand they have long, sharp blades unlike the short ones on a wooden pole of the polearms.
so i see the possibility here, how i could get hurt.
but with polearms you receive damage from the point if the pole touches you, and this is what should not possible (but this has something to do with the game mechanics itself).

anyway, there is another thread which suggest a more direct way to fix it ( Cancel thrusting animations after turning a certain amount ) but this topic is another approach.
it is more like, let them their exploit but add a small risk for them.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 01:54:09 am by Mala »

Offline Rico

• King
  • Renown: 1021
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rico, Mila
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2012, 03:35:32 pm »
Well, tbh, Im FOR this, as a realism update, but also we need MORE realism updates, like removing blocking from greatswords, pikes, longspears, great axes, making poleaxes wiff and fail at close ranges, giving arrows knockdown, increasing the reload time of crossbows about 10fold, banning all horse crossbowmen toons, making crossbows about 1/10th as accurate, make using a crossbow in the rain, or going into water with it, DESTROY it forever, removing forcefields from shields completely now matter how much shieldskill you stack, buffing stab damage on all 1handers, making horses about A FUCKING MILLION times louder, blocking an axe or sword with a weapon with a wooden shaft should make your weapon take dmg and ultimately break, make horsebumps more powerful, nutsack kick should disable for longer....

Sounds good :mrgreen:
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV

Offline BashirKhan

• Knight
  • Renown: 37
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2012, 07:40:11 am »
The topic is nothing about bucklers or shield, but some kind of a fix for extra long weapons that can be swinged like mad in close quarters.
It is not that i can not beat them, but i have to work hard for it, while they can use the easy mode.
Eh not really "easy mode" polearms are generally much slower than a 1h and some 2hs, All classes have advantages and disadvantages. Really all your seeing is the advantages of Polearms and not the disadvantages. As for swinging through walls etc... thats just bad game mechanics. I could say your buckler needs a nerf because your blocking 5-15 attacks with a metal dog bowl before it breaks, and attacking just as fast as if you didn't have a shield, but im sure it has its disadvantages as well.

FYI this game isn't exactly built on realism < Understatement of the month

« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 07:55:21 am by BashirKhan »

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2012, 04:06:21 pm »
And the disadvantages of polearms are?
From my point of view they work against horses, have quite long reach but are capable in close combat too and in combination with a shield they can block arrows as well.

For the buckler, well you deflect the blows and donĀ“t block them, but this is nitpicking.
To block missiles is mostly luck (i know, archeres says something different) and with attacks from the sides it is the same.
If you want, i can use a huscarl or a steel shield as well.

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2012, 04:10:32 pm »
+1
Polearms are slow and the animations make them get stuck at everything. Try side-swings with polearms when it's tight around you.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2012, 04:16:30 pm »
+2
To block missiles is mostly luck (i know, archeres says something different) and with attacks from the sides it is the same.

and yoda can't lift boulders with the force

Offline BashirKhan

• Knight
  • Renown: 37
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2012, 12:29:10 am »
Polearms are slow and the animations make them get stuck at everything. Try side-swings with polearms when it's tight around you.
yep if there is someone behind you, while attacking it is more than likely that you're going to bounce off that person. Really, in crowded areas polearms are ineffective as even the thrust will bounce off of someone behind you sometimes ( not sure how that is even possible ). ^There are some disadvatanges. Now from what i understand shorter polearms dont bounce as much and are a little more effective in tighter areas due to their length, such as the Bec de Corbin. Whereas a Glaive (a much longer weapon) will get stuck on a wall easily.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:26:15 am by BashirKhan »