Author Topic: Archer kiting  (Read 2169 times)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Archer kiting
« on: May 22, 2012, 12:12:50 pm »
+11
Now I don't mind being shot/killed by archers, what makes me rage however is the excessive kiting they do... From the last 20 archers I encountered about 15 of them ran and kited me/us for half of the map. I know it's stupid to chase them but hell.. i want to end the fuckers.

Not sure if it's possible to code this but here goes:

When an archer is holding a bow, his athletics are reduced to a third (kind of like in rageball with the ball carrier).
When an archer is holding his melee weapon or has his bow sheathed, his athletics are normal.
When an archer switches from bow to melee or sheaths his bow, his athletics are still reduced to a third for 3 seconds (could be lower or higher).
When he is switching back to his bow he already goes back to a third of his athletics.

This should prevent the run'n'gun, kiting type archers while still leaving them the option to tactically retreat with their team. Ofcourse now they would have to reposition themselves earlier and not wait for enemy melee to get in 2m range, shoot an arrow to their chest at point blank and then run away at lightning speed.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 12:15:36 pm by Vibe »

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
Re: Archer kiting
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 12:19:07 pm »
nothing is wrong with kiting.
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Lord_Panos

• Turkish
  • Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 203
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Saracens
  • Game nicks: Abdul_Rashid_PanBaba,Panos
  • IRC nick: Panos
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 12:21:23 pm »
+4
nothing is wrong with kiting.

yeah man because you know that you can actually string a longbow while you run away from a dude that is trying to chop you in half  :shock:
In this community,if you cheat,which is the ultimate crime to do in a game,you can buy a second cd key and everything is fine,but if you troll you get a permaban and be in danger for a second one,fair isn`t it?

Offline Dalhi

• Earl
  • Renown: 415
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dalhi
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 12:31:03 pm »
Buff draw bumps!

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 01:31:36 pm »
Respecc into agi build! With 27 agi i hunt down pretty much all archers even tho im wearing heavier armour than them, its sweet.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Herkkutatti

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 292
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 01:34:59 pm »
 +1
/l
(゚、 。 7
l、 ~ヽ
じしf_, )ノ Nerf archery ,please!

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 01:47:53 pm »
I totally loath kiting archers.

But if you nerf archer's athletics, you'll actually make them an even easier target for cav, wich is something definitely not needed.

Enable infantrya warcry. If an ennemy archer/xbowman is close enough, he "inadvertably" drops his bow/xbow, cause of the fear. He then has the choice to pick it up, and sheath it to run away, out of warcry range, or start engaging in melee.

Of course, not everyone has this awesome warcry, you'd need 5 PS and 120 wpf in 1h OR 2h or Polearm. For example.

Having a main as an archer, i totally understand the issue with some running away cowards with not even a single melee weapon (except that 0 slot hammer, to downblock cav, but that's not a weapon, that's a piece of wood). I myself offer sympathy to any melee following me for more than 1min, and dodging my arrows (i allow one or two mistakes, no more), and accept the melee duel my follower wanted.
Or just sheath the bow and go find the rest of your teammates. Persistant kiting is definitely as frustrating as a mounted xbow.
This should definitely be in the "how to behave, archers", in the same tone as the "how to behave, cav" from Torben.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 02:48:05 pm »
+12
Alternatively, disable archers from reaching sprint speed (the sudden speed up you normally do after 3 seconds of purely running forward) This will still allow ye old shoot & sidestep and minor repositioning, but they can't outspeed infantry when they are carrying their bow. So if they want to run, they have to switch to their melee weapon, which in turn disables them to run and shoot and might actually motivate people to get melee proficiency and become a proper battle archer.

Apart from that I think the archer wpf system should be reworked so an archer can wear some decent armor and be somewhat decent in melee, while retaining their current archer strength. I am fine with archers as long as they stand and fight. Force archers to become light/medium bow armed soldiers, instead of the peasants with bows they are now.

Thats an archer.

Offline Arrowblood

• Duke
  • Renown: 508
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Arrowblood
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 03:03:57 pm »
The problem is if a archer is not moving, and shots from a save place (yeah and its a house sometimes) everyone screames:

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Offline PanPan

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 70
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 03:05:14 pm »
Yeah I would go into meele If I had a nice Wep but Oh gosh Archer who want to have strong arrows and enough of them need to go with 2 Packs (not including 1 slot bows)

But Yeah I know how ppl feel when I or some other Archer's kite... but I'm easy to catch I got only 3 ath.

I think it would be a good Idea to add a short version of the simple sword shorter, faster, less damage.

And a nice thing would be if you got 6 PD 160 wpf is max if you got 7 PD youa re able to take more WPF that
would motivate Archers to skill the rest points into Meele skills or make them accurate at 140-150 wpf.

But nevermind wich Nerf most of the Archers will still run if a tincan follows...
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 03:11:37 pm by PanPan »

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 04:33:10 pm »
+6
- Lighter shields
- Correct shield coverage
- Archery should be more about high PD than about high wpf, like melee weapons with PS.
- Buff the melee-ranged bump to 1 meter range, immediate effect and a real stun that prevents moving.

- More objective-based gamemodes. Kiting is only a real problem in battle where you need to kill the enemy team.

Offline ToxicKilla

• Knight
  • Renown: 79
  • Infamy: 8
  • For England, and Saint George!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Killmoar_the_Lone_Knight
  • IRC nick: ToxicKilla
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 04:45:09 pm »
+3
This
(click to show/hide)
+ this
(click to show/hide)
= win

Offline Herr_Thomas

• Baron
  • Renown: 110
  • Infamy: 29
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Wolfgang
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 04:48:32 pm »
+3
So many good suggestions.

Too bad none of them will be implemented.  :cry:

Oh, and style matters way more than anything else regarding armor.

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 05:04:29 pm »
I frown uppon any nerf to athlectics, because its hard enought for non kitting archers like myself to fight in melee.
What I'd suggest is considerably lowering our wpf penalty when wearing decent armor, more people would wear it then. And our running speed would be considerably lower (like mine is), but we'd not exactely be weaker in melee.
Simply nerfing an already weak class wont do. If ranged loses the ability to kite, then we must be empowered somehow.

Offline Zisa

• Count
  • Renown: 272
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: I am not at liberty to say.
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 07:32:52 pm »
Seems to be a lot of kiting throwers, you know, those guys who do not even bother with power strike (as some achers) and instead build to agi run away.

Removing kiting ability is just going to make them easier prey for dedicated archer hunters - ninjas, assassins, those guys.

The easiest way to deal with kiters is team work. If your build can not handle some other build, you best protect your team mates who can.

As much as I may rage against HA, HX, kiting archers and such... I personally enjoy these frustrating pursuits, even though me and the guy I am fighting are often wasting our time in a 'duel' instead of maximizing contribution to team. (Hello Release_Arrows)

It does become pissy when every bored guy decides to build the same damn build, such as waves of HX, waves of kiting throwers (last week's nonsense) etc.
Some of this could be mitigated by autobalancing based on class, so at least both teams could be miserable :D
Alas nodachi
remembers glorious spring
a tin can's hatchet.
http://www.moddb.com/members/psychotropicdog