18 (20.7%)
make same as awlpike
2 (2.3%)
make same as +3 awelpike
4 (4.6%)
make insta kill
63 (72.4%)

Total Members Voted: 87

Author Topic: Long Sword vs another sword  (Read 7146 times)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Long Sword vs another sword
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2012, 10:59:42 am »
+1
Oh this video... :lol:

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2012, 11:06:24 am »
there would be ONE strike, one glissade, one dead man.

I disagree there, most of the time there'll be a parry or three, granted it is not as long as in movies, maybe 5 to 15 seconds at best.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Shatter

• Knight
  • Renown: 59
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Shatter_Astralis
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2012, 11:29:50 am »
Nope. Ninja were peasants, you cannot ATTAIN samurai rank by valiant deeds, its a birthright. Just because samurai used dirty tricks in anonimity doesnt make them a ninja, they are still a samurai, the trained shinobi were peasants, if they had been noble by birth they wouldnt have been called shinobi, they woulda been called samurai, and just because a peasant was a brave and noble warrior doesnt make them a samurai.

Myth is a whole other discussion: Troy was a city in Turkey. It was destroyed and raised many times. But the Illiad is not a myth, it's a story written by Homer. It's pretty good, but a bit longwinded. Some great cities were flooded prior to Greek classical age, when the meditarrenean landbridge to africa thru Gibraltar parted thru seismic activity. Thus the legend of Atlantis. The egyptians had a complex society long before Jesus, but the Isrealite ppl never lived there, but when a tribe who WAS enslaved there left via the red sea, they crossed at low tide, because their leader was wise enough to understand tidal action, and thus they called him a profit. All myths are based on actual events from long before, told and retold. But that is beside the point:

The time of the shinobi in japan was NOT long ago, it was less than a millenia ago, and I refer to factual accounts of what took place, europe isnt the only place that wrote things down, Japan has a great historic tradition and when mercenaries where hired, it wasnt a shady meeting in a back alley secret room, it was an organised contract, recorded by the clan leaders of whatever tribe was being hired. There is no room for myth when the events are recorded by accountants.
Well, you say your stuff is coming from historical accounts, and I would claim the same for my information. Yet, we can't really progress any further without citing sources which is needed for any proper historical discussion. I do not mind being corrected, so if you want to PM me some of your sources, I'd be happy to read them. I'm sorry for derailing the topic lol. (PS: Homer didn't technically "write" the Illiad but I'm sure you didn't mean it literally when you wrote your response :P) Cheers.

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2012, 12:31:27 pm »
I disagree there, most of the time there'll be a parry or three, granted it is not as long as in movies, maybe 5 to 15 seconds at best.

15 seconds? No, not in a fight to the death, unless both were very unskilled and wearing plate: remember, IRL, ONE hit is all it takes, once you are hit, you dead, if not, the time it take you to react to the pain: your dead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjT4JepA-Vc&feature=endscreen&NR=1
I don't know enough

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2012, 12:50:52 pm »
I like turtles
Turtles

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2012, 02:08:49 pm »
All that "Katana doesn't cut through plate" is pretty irrelevant when no swords cut through plate. Plate users fight more like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnqOMbFDEAI&feature=related not what Hollywood generally likes to depict. Piercing through plate generally requires the guy to lie down on the ground so you can apply as much force as possible for it.

And my character is south african, thank you very much, please read my ramblings more closely.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 02:13:56 pm by Ninja_Khorin »

Offline Laufknoten

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • BOAT OF ANGER FLOATING ON THE SEA OF TEARS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Felipe
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2012, 02:26:26 pm »
15 seconds? No, not in a fight to the death, unless both were very unskilled and wearing plate: remember, IRL, ONE hit is all it takes, once you are hit, you dead, if not, the time it take you to react to the pain: your dead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjT4JepA-Vc&feature=endscreen&NR=1
No, like in every era there were way more wounded than dead people in medieval wars. Also surgery and wound treatment was more advanced than people think today. Also even some layers of cloth or leather could safe you from a cut and people didn't fight naked so it was not "1 hit = dead".

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2012, 03:55:27 pm »
No, like in every era there were way more wounded than dead people in medieval wars. Also surgery and wound treatment was more advanced than people think today. Also even some layers of cloth or leather could safe you from a cut and people didn't fight naked so it was not "1 hit = dead".

Ok put on some layers of cloth and leather and then I will slash you with a longsword. I am willing to bet my house *flat* that you will not be fighting back after that slash.
I don't know enough

Offline Laufknoten

• Earl
  • Renown: 480
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
  • BOAT OF ANGER FLOATING ON THE SEA OF TEARS
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Felipe
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2012, 05:03:34 pm »
Ok put on some layers of cloth and leather and then I will slash you with a longsword. I am willing to bet my house *flat* that you will not be fighting back after that slash.
I'm not talking about a straight slash to the arm, sure that could end in dismemberment, even with cloth and leather protection. But in a real fight there was a lot of wrestling and often little space to get a good hit in so leather or even cloth could be enough to protect you from a not so perfect strike.
Besides that people were harder those days, even with a broken arm or similar wounds it wasn't unusual to keep on fighting. 

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2012, 11:52:34 pm »

Besides that people were harder those days, even with a broken arm or similar wounds it wasn't unusual to keep on fighting.

?? thats the stupidest thing Ive read today. Good job.
I don't know enough

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
  • Renown: 718
  • Infamy: 217
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Tomas
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2012, 02:32:26 am »
+5

When I were a lad we used to go out into the cess pit behind our hovel and hack at each other's naked bodies with Flamberges for 3 hours every morning before going to work down t' Iron Mines for 26 hours a day, 9 days a week.  Each night we'd then spend 8 hours folding the iron we'd mined over and over again to turn it into a Super Flamberge and when we got home our Dad would test the blade with a full swing to our unprotected necks.  If t' blade were true we'd be decapitated and as a reward we'd be allowed to get 8 minutes of sleep standing up whilst eating a cold breakfast of hot coals before starting all over again.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 02:33:59 am by Tomas »

Offline Heeehehe

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • MuNkeee!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MRamz-I
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2012, 05:01:31 pm »
YES! katana should get the best trust or second to saracen straight sword and second best/ about the same slash with scimitar and it's kind and second after damascus, if there will be damascus
"He who has not seen it does not know the power of Islam." -Abu Zayd 'Abd al-Rahman ibn Muhammad (Ibn Khaldun)

“Let the beauty of what you love be what you do.” -Jalal Ad-Din Rumi

Offline Shinimas

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2012, 05:14:19 pm »
+1
Just fyi, ninja-to, aka a straight one-sided blade with a square tsuba, never existed. It's a product of the whore-mother of all myths - Hollywood. This weapon is pointless, it doesn't make sense, if a ninja or whoever the fuck else wanted to kill somebody with a sword, he'd use a katana or a similar existing sword, not invent a backwards ass design for no purpose other than to show off.

A katana, a real sword that was used on the battlefield, is a heavy two-handed sabre in essense. It's not magical. Fuck weaboos. I win. The end.

Offline engurrand

• Psychopath
  • Earl
  • Renown: 359
  • Infamy: 101
  • cRPG Player
  • Trifecta
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Kingdom of Veluca
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2012, 11:39:53 pm »
Katana is a shit weapon made for killing poor unarmed people.

True melee combat, as i have said before, is about getting the fuck in and grappling your foe and then stabbing a knife into his eyes and stomping this throat...

SERIOUSLY...

Go have a real duel, no larp or "martial arts" training or any of that bull shit... A no rules (okay no killing) armored duel you will see that VERY quickly it moves into ground work / grappling matches.

Why?

For with one parry, to then move forward into your foe and drop your weapon and grab his body, will render his weapon  ineffective. Bust out that knife and stab his face.

Offline BashirKhan

• Knight
  • Renown: 37
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2012, 08:23:44 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDkoj932YFo

I think the Katana needs a buff. It's stab is ridiculous and it's too slow. As shown by this scientific study into how boss the Katana is and how not boss the long sword is we can clearly see Katana needs a buff.

I say it should have

105 speed

40 cut
40 thrust

This seems fair and historically accurate, the best kind of accurate.
Frank, i honestly hope your trolling thats the equivalent of a long dagger + Nodachi + A Hakzor lawlpoke  :wink: