Author Topic: Day Z mod for ARMA II  (Read 152889 times)

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
Re: Day Z mod for ARMA II
« Reply #1020 on: July 20, 2012, 12:12:04 pm »
Well considering its release date in fall with a beta in a couple months latest, they must of been working on it for some time. My bet is they were working on a similarish project, saw the success for DayZ and switched aims and borrowed ideas.

I have no qualms, and even Rocket is supporting the competition.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #1021 on: July 20, 2012, 12:17:35 pm »
I have no qualms, and even Rocket is supporting the competition.

Really? That's interesting.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #1022 on: July 20, 2012, 12:23:37 pm »
Really? That's interesting.

Yup he seems alright about it:

Competition will NEVER be bad for gamers.

I think they have a tough battle, whatever they do will be compared to DayZ.

If their list of features is a list of promises, then they are screwed. But if their list of features is in, tested, and working... then great!

What I would rather see, rather than a list of features, is more discussion about intention. Because if you take any part of DayZ out of context it is terrible. As a list of features, it is not a good experience. It is the sum of the whole, it is the approach, that makes it what it is.

So, I think, just wait and see 

Look how much was achieved with virtually no funding and started off largely with me and a few guys helping with admin.

Success isn't measured or assured, or even driven, by money. Social media has delivered DayZ, it powers it. It is the approach that has been successful, not a series of features. If you describe the DayZ features they are not compelling of themselves, it is the mix that is good.

I don't evny their position. They will face constant comparisons. I would hate to go through every interview and constantly be asked questions that are in relation to someone elses game. That's got to be very soul destroying.

My opinion, on copyright (you don't need to register a copyright to hold it, you just need to create something and use it... for all the forum lawyers out there)...

Anyone who relies on the law to protect their idea will always be at a disadvantage.

The best protection you can have is by being the very best at what you do. That's what I hope to be. If I'm wrong, someone else will do it better. The end result of that battle is a good game, that we all love. In that situation, I should consider myself damn lucky to have gotten the chance to compete at all and have my work reviewed on the world stage. So that's the worst case scenario, the best case, is that I make a great game.  The end result: you guys win either way.

Offline Elmokki

• Count
  • Renown: 192
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: United democratic national whatever
  • Game nicks: elmokki_Krokotiili
  • IRC nick: Elmokki
« Reply #1023 on: July 20, 2012, 12:42:41 pm »
+1
UAZ is hillarious (and two of our three man team have driven one in real life!).

Three of us were driving around the map - it's really fast to traverse it with a car - when we saw someone crawling near the power plant in Electro near a fence. What did our driver do? He drove right next to the guy, slowed down to a crawl and drove over him while pressing the horn repeatedly.

Awesome shit.

We also did some totally overkill ganks. Like we see two pistol armed guys running around in some smaller town - I kinda lost my track with that fast travel. What we did is drive in front of them, have both passengers step out from the car and open fire with assault rifles (AK74 Kobra and M4A1 CCO SD)

I mean, the game is total deathmatch - or not even death match, battle royale - and I kinda wish it was more of a survival game where you don't necessarily want to shoot everyone you don't know at sight, but it definitely is really hillariously awesome even at this state (and has been since like May when I first tried it)

Also regarding War Z. It seems it had been in development for long, but that they changed so many things once they saw DayZ getting quite popular. It could be good, but even the ability to have softcore servers is a bit unsettling. The charm in DayZ is that it's a really harsh game (or seems so, it really isn't since gear is fairly easy to come by and killing people/zombies is more skill dependant than gear dependant) and any game that allows softcore makes me afraid they listen too much to the people who play on softcore servers.

Part of the charm is also that ARMA2 engine is relatively realistic. I probably don't want a zombie game where I'm an action hero. I want a game where I can die if I am not careful enough and careful enough is something most people never bother to do. Like a few days ago I was running to meet my friends, and like under 100m from my friends someone shoots me. I fall to ground with under 2000 blood and shoot back through the grass blind. When I go up to bandage (it was death or that anyway) he shoots me. It was night and I would've been hard pressed to see him. But the charm works other way around too. I told my friends where I died and they saw the guy go loot my body and shot him from cover.

Result: NVG for me and M107 stashed to our tent (we have a fair pile of sniper stuff stashed, but two of our three man team prefer assault rifles over sniping and we have only a couple of spares for those :D)

I'm still looking forward to trying War Z of course!

EDIT: Also, zombie sight during daytime is a threat, but if you aren't running in the middle of a city you can EASILY avoid them since they don't have a 360 degree sight anymore. Just stay away from where their eyes point. Or crawl. That still has a very short sight distance compared to anything else. I personally tend to sneak as much as I can but not be afraid of running like hell (or shooting if need be)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:54:23 pm by Elmokki »

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #1024 on: July 20, 2012, 02:28:02 pm »
Considering the effect of DayZ on ArmA 2 sales in recent months i imagine bohemia interactive will either make it a separate retail game based on ArmA 3 engine or make it a DLC.   Day Z is always set to become a retail product, its just who gets to it first.
Turtles

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: July 20, 2012, 02:39:26 pm »
Considering the effect of DayZ on ArmA 2 sales in recent months i imagine bohemia interactive will either make it a separate retail game based on ArmA 3 engine or make it a DLC.   Day Z is always set to become a retail product, its just who gets to it first.

This is almost certain if you take a look at what Rocket and BIS have been saying so far.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: July 23, 2012, 10:03:30 pm »
+2
Killed a Torben in the northern firetower in Elektro just now  8-)

Offline Herkkutatti666

• Duke
  • Renown: 585
  • Infamy: 285
  • cRPG Player
  • Rips pärs
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: July 24, 2012, 09:39:54 pm »
Today, I was at north-end of the map looking for tents and helicopter crashes, suddenly I got teleported to Elektros church with about 15 other players including 3 of my "group" members, it was a fucking hacker teleporting people to there. I got shot 2-4 times, I lost 9k blood and my leg got broken. I left the server as fast as possible and joined other server. I went to hospital and found a nice pal. I told him not to shoot  and give me a blood bag, When he had given the blood bag, I said thanks for being helpful an friendly to me and then shot him in the face. He had GPS and other awesome stuff. now I am safely  sniping bastards at Stary sobor, thanks the guy who helped me. what a nice guy.

Offline Beauchamp

• Earl
  • Renown: 427
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
    • Personal portfolio
« Reply #1028 on: July 24, 2012, 10:04:15 pm »
Today, I was at north-end of the map looking for tents and helicopter crashes, suddenly I got teleported to Elektros church with about 15 other players including 3 of my "group" members, it was a fucking hacker teleporting people to there. I got shot 2-4 times, I lost 9k blood and my leg got broken. I left the server as fast as possible and joined other server. I went to hospital and found a nice pal. I told him not to shoot  and give me a blood bag, When he had given the blood bag, I said thanks for being helpful an friendly to me and then shot him in the face. He had GPS and other awesome stuff. now I am safely  sniping bastards at Stary sobor, thanks the guy who helped me. what a nice guy.

game mechanics of this mod are fucked up, good to know its still a DM so i don't have to play it
OOODDIIINVALHALLAAAAAAA on the 20th of April 2011: What I know is that... heh, eh ja how can I explain? ...deh feeling to believe in Odin is right, dat is what I say, ja?!

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #1029 on: July 25, 2012, 03:20:34 pm »
Killed a Torben in the northern firetower in Elektro just now  8-)

too bad,  I aint playing :'/
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: July 25, 2012, 03:23:11 pm »
+1
DayZ will always be a "DM" as you call it, almost every permadeath game with open PvP like this is. I don't honestly see a problem with it.

Offline Spleen

• Earl
  • Renown: 310
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • But I am already in my pyjamas...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Spleen
  • IRC nick: Spleeno
« Reply #1031 on: July 25, 2012, 04:56:44 pm »
shoosh vibe,
go to the beach

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: July 25, 2012, 07:37:34 pm »

Die slowly in a ditch Morso.

Offline Herkkutatti666

• Duke
  • Renown: 585
  • Infamy: 285
  • cRPG Player
  • Rips pärs
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: July 25, 2012, 07:49:43 pm »
QQ my old friends it's a DM not a Co-op against zombies. kill or get killed thats how it goes.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 09:46:17 pm by Morso »

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: July 25, 2012, 09:45:10 pm »
QQ my old friends it's a DM not a Co-op against zombies. kill or get killed thats how it goes.

Its nor a DM nor a coop against zombies, its whatever you want it to be and people interacting between themselves will create a world based on each and everyone's actions.

A kind of "real" world  :wink: