Author Topic: Day Z mod for ARMA II  (Read 153032 times)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Day Z mod for ARMA II
« Reply #765 on: June 11, 2012, 03:28:19 pm »
Well duh, you can only expect dumb AI to provide a challenge for so long. PvP is the fun part because gear is hard to come by, everyone values their life. Which makes firefights interesting.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline ulya

• Knight
  • Renown: 25
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: June 11, 2012, 03:46:36 pm »
People that want to play DayZ as a SP survival game after getting past the basics are doing it wrong, there is nothing hard, challanging or interesting about sitting far far north eating a can of beans and drink a water bottle a day while staring at your screen. Nomatter how hard the carebears will complain about PvP, it's the main aspect of this game.

Offline Beauchamp

• Earl
  • Renown: 427
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
    • Personal portfolio
« Reply #767 on: June 11, 2012, 04:32:36 pm »
i'm not against PvP, killing others, permadeath...

my problem is that this mod suddenly seems hollow, you can easily survive and the game shrinks only into PvP and nothing else at all. PvP is the only challenge, because there is simply nothing else to do once you get the basics.

so you get yourself weapons (its a matter of half an hour) and what to do next? just shoot sbdy, loot him and repeat until you're the one killed. etc. etc. etc.

no need really to group with sbdy, no danger from environment, no danger from zombies...
OOODDIIINVALHALLAAAAAAA on the 20th of April 2011: What I know is that... heh, eh ja how can I explain? ...deh feeling to believe in Odin is right, dat is what I say, ja?!

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #768 on: June 11, 2012, 04:43:10 pm »
[...]
...repeat until you're the one killed. etc. etc. etc.

no need really to group with sbdy, no danger from environment, no danger from zombies...
The whole point of grouping up is to avoid being killed. That's the endgame challenge. Seek pvp and try to stay alive. I assure you that you don't stand a chance vs a proper group with some tactical understanding of their weapons and surrounding.
Cooties mentioned the "kill zone". That's where the fun starts...
If you just accept the "I will be killed at some point.", you didn't really understood the point of the mod and "survival".
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Beauchamp

• Earl
  • Renown: 427
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
    • Personal portfolio
« Reply #769 on: June 11, 2012, 05:12:11 pm »
i understand this mod is a huge PvP arena for 50 players while some camp with snipers, some suicide in cherno, some group up to raid nw airfield and a few are trying to fix helicopter before server restarts so they can wipe out a few other players from above. i don't blame anybody, there is nothing else to do, i also understand, that some people call it "survival"...
OOODDIIINVALHALLAAAAAAA on the 20th of April 2011: What I know is that... heh, eh ja how can I explain? ...deh feeling to believe in Odin is right, dat is what I say, ja?!

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #770 on: June 11, 2012, 05:18:26 pm »
Well, maybe we are misunderstanding each other right now so I try to clarify what I basicly ment:

If you don't mind to die, you're not going to have fun with this mod.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
« Reply #771 on: June 11, 2012, 05:26:42 pm »
It is a mod in Alpha stage. Endgame will come soon enough.
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline ulya

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: June 11, 2012, 05:31:30 pm »
One sniper can pick up any group of any number of players, depending on location etc they might escape, but it's pretty impossible to get a good sniper.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: June 11, 2012, 06:02:48 pm »
Rocket has said that he's planning to introduce more "content"

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: June 11, 2012, 07:09:15 pm »
If you just accept the "I will be killed at some point.", you didn't really understood the point of the mod and "survival".

By that logic you are better staying 24/7 in the forest and looting barns/deer stands.

Playing safe (as opposed to pvp) isn't very difficult once you get the basics and that is where the game lacks a real challenge. There's also not a real incentive to pvp if your goal is survival. You don't need military stuff to kill zombies. As I understand it most people are doing pvp because it's more fun, more thrilling and also because you have the murder count showing up, and being a serial killer is just as good as surviving during months.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: June 11, 2012, 08:49:12 pm »
One sniper can pick up any group of any number of players, depending on location etc they might escape, but it's pretty impossible to get a good sniper.

Not really. 2 people max, after that decent people will not be there anymore. If you're not against noobs who go prone after the first guy gets shot, that's usually all you get.  If you're sniping from 800 meters and after shooting one bullet you start sprinting in the opposite direction and never stop, then yeah, it's impossible to get him. But otherwise not so much.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline ulya

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: June 11, 2012, 09:38:48 pm »
Like I said, it depends on the location and the sniper, and ofcourse there is a limit to how many one could take down, but it's very easy to pick off a group without any risks, and if you don't get all of them, hunt them down even further!

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: June 11, 2012, 10:30:57 pm »
Unless... they're good and they hunt you down. I haven't really seen many groups do that though, almost everyone just starts legging it. Whenever we're attacked we counter-attack.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Logen

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 385
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: June 11, 2012, 11:03:46 pm »
you snipe ppl for their stuff, you cant shoot one and then just run away

Offline ulya

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: June 11, 2012, 11:40:04 pm »
Once you have everything, which doesn't take long, you don't have any "stuff" left, you can easily get 200 DMR shots 2 NW clears, so no need to worry about ammo either.