Author Topic: Day Z mod for ARMA II  (Read 153085 times)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Day Z mod for ARMA II
« Reply #195 on: May 18, 2012, 07:27:48 am »
I must have night vision goggles atleast once. Can't wait to go all predator mode and hunt anyone using a lightsource out of the shadows. Can someone post a screen of how nighttime looks with night vision?

It's all green and shit and when you get out of it your screen is black/darkened for a few seconds.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 07:29:19 am by Vibe »

Offline Weren

• Duke
  • Renown: 588
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: irc://Weren
« Reply #196 on: May 18, 2012, 09:47:16 am »
+1
Had rather pleasant time in Day Z yesterday:

Roasting a dinner:
(click to show/hide)

Praying to the gods of the Hunt:
(click to show/hide)

Mr. Badass himself:
(click to show/hide)

Awesome moustache detected:
(click to show/hide)

Night is nigh:
(click to show/hide)
Free speech is about to become terrorism.

Offline Spleen

• Earl
  • Renown: 310
  • Infamy: 79
  • But I am already in my pyjamas...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Spleen
  • IRC nick: Spleeno
« Reply #197 on: May 18, 2012, 10:34:59 am »
afaik iron sight or zoom doesnt work with night vision. If you want to do things at night, your best chance is to find a good gamma setting and have loads of bloodloss for that greyish screen or just get a chemlight - the green one is pretty good imho. By now everyone should avoid flares like hell :D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • Renown: 377
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Berserkaziz_Amir
« Reply #198 on: May 18, 2012, 10:38:19 am »
Is combined operations on sale anywhere for less than 25 bucks?I am more hyped to play this now than Diablo 3 so I migth get it before...
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.
"I don´t believe in anything, I´m just here for the violence."

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 18, 2012, 10:54:28 am »
afaik iron sight or zoom doesnt work with night vision. If you want to do things at night, your best chance is to find a good gamma setting and have loads of bloodloss for that greyish screen or just get a chemlight - the green one is pretty good imho. By now everyone should avoid flares like hell :D

You can aim down the sight with nightvision. You can't use a scope however (can't snipe with goggles on).

Offline ulya

• Knight
  • Renown: 25
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 18, 2012, 10:56:27 am »
I've heard people say that you can make it work with just ArmA 2: OA and the ArmA 2 Free demo, would cost you just €/$15.
So lucky I got CO during a sale a few months ago for just €12.

Small story:
Decided to group up with a few people gathered around the web, got on TS and decided to meet up at Bolota airstrip and go on a killing spree. Got their first, secured it while killing 2 people, got on top of the tower with a CZ.

Our group finally gathered(4 people), 1 person on a hill with sniper, me on top of the radio tower with sniper and 2 people walking around covering with semi-automatics. Was great fun, pretty much killed everything on sight within a range of about 1KM.

Untill somebody spawned right on top of the tower and killed me. It was still my best DayZ experience.

Moral of the story: DayZ is much, much more fun with a premade on TS than it is trying to find FRIENDLY FRIENDLY? while wandering.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 18, 2012, 11:22:19 am »
Moral of the story: DayZ is much, much more fun with a premade on TS than it is trying to find FRIENDLY FRIENDLY? while wandering.

Lol why would anyone ask "friendly?" anyway. The guy could answer that he is friendly and then just shoot you in the back. If you want to play it safe, you have to KOS.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #202 on: May 18, 2012, 11:24:21 am »
+1
$15 on Amazon digital download right now.  Still debating if its worth it

http://www.amazon.com/Meridian4-40365ned-Operations-ArmA2-Combined/dp/B003UV8RRE/ref=sr_1_1_title_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1337332936&sr=1-1

(click to show/hide)

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 18, 2012, 11:31:33 am »
$15 on Amazon digital download right now.  Still debating if its worth it

http://www.amazon.com/Meridian4-40365ned-Operations-ArmA2-Combined/dp/B003UV8RRE/ref=sr_1_1_title_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1337332936&sr=1-1

(click to show/hide)

Awesome, but will this work if I buy it from elsewhere than the US?I would guess it could work with paypal, but I want to make sure.I heard somewhere the Sale is US only.

15 Dollars would be like 12 euros, I would definately sacrifice those to try out DayZ.

/edit: Well fuck, you need a credit card to order there....This sucks.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 11:36:04 am by B3RS3RK »
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.

Offline Spleen

• Earl
  • Renown: 310
  • Infamy: 79
  • But I am already in my pyjamas...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Spleen
  • IRC nick: Spleeno
« Reply #204 on: May 18, 2012, 11:32:50 am »
Yeah, you can combine Operation Arrowhead with Arma 2 Free, you'll end up with a few lower quality textures and sounds - that actually improve the fps :D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Renay

• Earl
  • Renown: 493
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Every Clan, but mostly Ninja!
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Renay
« Reply #205 on: May 18, 2012, 12:26:53 pm »
+1
Roasting a dinner:
(click to show/hide)

Zakker was killed  :mrgreen:
Blackbow is a bad admin,he once told me sandfriend It broked all my desire from the game/forums,i felt devastated,horrible don't know how to fix it.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 18, 2012, 01:19:19 pm »
Player vs player combat at night is the fucking most intense thing I have recently experienced ingaming. Tactical usage of your light, setting up ambushes, investigating gunshots. The life of a bandit at night is awesome. -10k humanity whoop!

It's all green and shit and when you get out of it your screen is black/darkened for a few seconds.

(click to show/hide)
Oh wow, that is better than I expected. Need that night vision! Would be so awesome to just use nightvision, go towards any flares you see and hunting out of the darkness.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 01:22:13 pm by SgtTeeh »

Offline Renay

• Earl
  • Renown: 493
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Every Clan, but mostly Ninja!
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Renay
« Reply #207 on: May 18, 2012, 01:52:15 pm »
Teeth, wanna go airfield later on?
Blackbow is a bad admin,he once told me sandfriend It broked all my desire from the game/forums,i felt devastated,horrible don't know how to fix it.

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
Re: Tweaking DayZ/ArmA2
« Reply #208 on: May 18, 2012, 06:45:54 pm »
+4
Remember to tweak ArmA 2 though, it doesn't run good with standard settings, especially aiming with the mouse is terrible without the fix (straight from BIS dev @ Steam forum).

C/P:

Q: How to disable mouse acceleration & mouse lag in ARMA 2?
URL: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1366499

A: mouse smoothing in game options > controls > right side
slider to the left

then in arma2oa.cfg change this line
GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1000;
or any other value if you altered it already

to value
GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

Done.

Note: The arma2oa.cfg file is located in MY DOCUMENTS, not in the game folders.

Q: Configuration Tweaking?

URL: http://www.dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1355

A: Yes, lots:

1.) Launcher/Shortcut options

If you have a steam version just copy and paste the following into launch options for Operation Arrowhead.

If you've got a non-steam version, make a shortcut of the Operation Arrowhead .exe and after the end " in the target line paste the following

-nosplash -mod=@dayz -world=empty

-nosplash: removes startup splash screens

-world=empty: makes it so a heap of junk isnt loaded up in the background of the menu screen

EDIT: -cpucount =X , and -maxmem=2047 can also be added in the target line arguments, there is reason to believe that these are outdated and Arma 2 will automatically detect these for you (OrdeaL), but frame rate improvements have been noted with these arguments (thanks to Unforsaken Assassin).

-cpucount=X: ensures X number of cores are used, e.g -cpucount=2 a dual core cpu, -cpucount=4 for a quad

-maxmem=XXXX: sets the MAX amount of RAM made available to the engine

2.) Config file values

Open explorer and open this file in notepad (whatever)

C:\Users\"your name"\Documents\ArmA 2 Other Profiles\"your character name"\"your character name".ArmA2OAProfile

Change the following lines to look like this

shadingQuality=0;
the shadows still look like shadows

Bonus: These two in combination increase/decrease your field of view. This seems to be a good proportion for a 1920x1080 res.
fovTop=0.97500002;
fovLeft=1.5599999;

3.) In Game Options

Video memory - Default
Set that sucker to default, Very High = 512MB default will detect if you've got higher.

Post processing effects - Off The blur is cool, but removing this will give you a good amount of frames

vsync - Off

3D resolution - set it to be as close to the natural resolution of your monitor as possible, preferably set it to the same. This is a must to make your game playable, not looking seriously blurry or using too much processing to make it look super sharp.

View Distance - 1000 to 3000/i]
I you never really need more than 3000, and 1000 is still very playable. I heard a rumor the view distances may be enforced server side, can anyone confirm this?

Q: Field of View (FOV)?
URL: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?100235-Setting-up-your-FOV

A: There is no one correct FOV for this game. And frankly trying to play arma with a corrected or "perfect" FOV may turn out to be extrememly difficult or impossible without the proper hardware. ie Triple-head.

---------------------------------------------------Procedure-----

Measure the height of your monitor's screen, top pixel to bottom pixel.

Now measure from your eye (normal playing position) to the top of the screen and then your eye to the bottom.

Something like this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/F12Bwth2/Game%20Screens/FOV.png

Plug those number into this calculator like so.

EXAMPLE (using inches): http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/F12Bwth2/Forums/FOVCalc.png

CALCULATOR: http://ostermiller.org/calc/triangle.html

That 17 degrees was my real life vertical FOV. I have since moved my monitor closer to me by 5 inches and now have a V-FOV of ~20.5 degrees.

---------------------------------------------------Editing-------

Adjusting the FOV in arma is a simple matter of editing your

"C:\Users\Username\Documents\ArmA 2\Username.ArmA2Profile"

Open it in notepad.

Search for "fov". There are only 2 lines that contain fov near the bottom. They are

fovTop=XXXX; (THESE NUMBERS ARE IN RADIANS!!!)
fovLeft=XXXX;

(my fov was blanked to prevent confusion)

BI (being Czech) has labeled them FOVTOP (Vertical FOV)
and FOVLEFT (Horizontal FOV) Also being Czech if you want to set your Vertical FOV to say.. 75 degrees you must type. 0.75. A value over 100 like 112 requires 1.12

You do not need to use the decimal places found in fov fields!! The game will take the second value and round it off to some obscure decimal you do not need to tell someone to set their fov to 84.2398439. Just say.. 84.

You only need concern yourself with finding the fovTop value. The fovLeft value is determined using your monitor's aspect ratio (ie 16:9, 16:10, 4:3) and a calculator.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Setting my arma to my perfect V-FOV of 20 degrees with a 16:10 screen a means a horizontal value of 32.

That looked like this after using google to convert to radians.

fovTop=0.357;
fovLeft=0.572;

http://www.youtube.com/v/h3vnRIsHG-A

In that video you see 20, 40, 60 and 80 radians tested. Having only one screen makes using that perfect FOV difficult. It would be almost impossible to go through a town without looking around (via mouse look or TrackIR) constantly to see enemies.

I can vouch that it is a much more realistic play experience and would be even more if the ironsight zoom was disabled. Should you have a projector or large TV and sat close enough (not so close that you go blind!) you could set the fov to a calculated value closer to a playable number. Currently I have chosen 65x104.

fovTop=0.65;
fovLeft=1.04;

65 Radians is nowhere near my "perfect" V-Fov of 20° (0.35 radians) but until I have a 3 display system or use my XGA projector to play I have to live with it.

Feel free to experiment and post your thoughts here. If your interested here is the rFactor FOV tutorial discussing the same type of modifications. http://www.racesimcentral.com/forum/showthread.php?5691-Setting-up-your-Driving-view
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 18, 2012, 08:10:47 pm »
You got me so hyped, Im currently loading ArmaII CO on Steam...Bitches...There goes another month of Gaming Budgt.