• Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
Re: Armor
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2012, 01:06:50 am »
Thats an interesting story Moncho you should write a book of your adventures looking forward for your next story +1
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2012, 08:53:50 am »
+2
I would already be content if plate armor was buffed against ranged. It's just silly that an arrow, which would only "plink" on my armor, takes away a third of my health. I don't know if it's possible, but it would be cool if bounce rate of arrows on plate was somehow massively increased. Archers still have many Kuyak clones to shoot, they don't have to aim at robots.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2012, 09:19:34 am »
+1
One idea I had about heavy armour was that it allows to partly convert "lethal" damage into "non-lethal" damage. The concept was that this non-lethal damage would be removed over time, significantly increasing the lifetime of a careful and in a group operating tincan. A solo tincan would still go down as quickly as now because he could get knocked out even with non-lethal damage.

Dunno if that is a good idea because it smells a bit like health-regain console shit but just increasing glances is out of the question for me. While some might have embraced the "MW-plate-and-wildly-swing-hoping-the-other-guy-glances" playstyle, I didn't and I like the fact that a well aimed blow even from a mundane 1hander can at least reliably interupt a tinman.

Offline v/onMega

• Count
  • Renown: 234
  • Infamy: 67
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_vMega
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2012, 10:31:03 am »
Is it not possible to change random factors (soak etc) on armors from lets say 18/ 19 weight?

Sure, the on going glancing was bad while it lastet. I like your idea Paul, but, as u said...it is somewhat "wrong".

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2012, 10:36:16 am »
Random damage is wrong, fixing that would also buff heavy armor (not that it needs a buff tbh)

Offline bosco

• Count
  • Renown: 258
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
  • Steady...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2012, 10:57:34 am »
Not sure about Paul's idea, but I'm already a happy camper knowing that he is aware of the lackings of the current plates.  8-)

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2012, 05:46:48 pm »
+1
One idea I had about heavy armour was that it allows to partly convert "lethal" damage into "non-lethal" damage. The concept was that this non-lethal damage would be removed over time, significantly increasing the lifetime of a careful and in a group operating tincan. A solo tincan would still go down as quickly as now because he could get knocked out even with non-lethal damage.

Dunno if that is a good idea because it smells a bit like health-regain console shit but just increasing glances is out of the question for me. While some might have embraced the "MW-plate-and-wildly-swing-hoping-the-other-guy-glances" playstyle, I didn't and I like the fact that a well aimed blow even from a mundane 1hander can at least reliably interupt a tinman.
Yes no glances please.

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • Renown: 377
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Berserkaziz_Amir
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2012, 07:54:39 pm »
+2
I would already be content if plate armor was buffed against ranged. It's just silly that an arrow, which would only "plink" on my armor, takes away a third of my health. I don't know if it's possible, but it would be cool if bounce rate of arrows on plate was somehow massively increased. Archers still have many Kuyak clones to shoot, they don't have to aim at robots.

Yes please.Make it more efficient against arrows and possibly bolts, but leave it like it is otherwise.That is the best Idea so far imo, and it would finally give the plate some more worth for it cost without making it OP.
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.
"I don´t believe in anything, I´m just here for the violence."

Offline Lech

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2012, 09:16:32 pm »

Partial regeneration would be awesome. Not just for heavy armor but for everyone.

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2012, 09:36:36 pm »
Everyone knows how to make enough money to support plate, making upkeep worthless, so why isnt everyone using it if it's so op?

That's my question.
while over a large amount of time there where perhaps only 1 player per team(if at all) using gothic or other high maintenance armors, nowadays it is on a regular base at least 2-3 i see in every team sometimes upto 7-9 in rare cases even more. In early morning hours it is kind of silly having teams with 10 players and 5 are heavily armored.

I never changed my armor from light Kuyak after the big patch, i didn't do calculations about it just rough estimates, reason i wear it, it looks awesome and comes as close to pelty wolves style ^^ as it gets. Also a lot of the better players kind of switch between a lot of different armors, may it be of being in a loosing team or make the enemy believe they are peasents. That all was for me just too much hustle ... i want to play not to change my wardrobe and look in the mirrow all the time ^^ still sometimes in the early morning hours when there are less "teammates" around able to fuck me up badly *sigh*, i change for oldtimes to my leather jacket  :mrgreen:
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline v/onMega

• Count
  • Renown: 234
  • Infamy: 67
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_vMega
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2012, 10:33:55 pm »
heavy armor sucks tbh.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2012, 11:32:08 pm »
+1
Not sure about Paul's idea, but I'm already a happy camper knowing that he is aware of the lackings of the current plates.  8-)

You do know that he caused them in the first place, right? His armor formula change is also responsible for the massive increase of successful hiltslashes. I know he probably had good intentions, but the outcome is not very good in my opinion. It just shifted the power from tincans, which were at least hard to maintain financially, to the Kuyak clones. Nowadays any Kuyak clone with a greatsword who knows what he's doing can left-right-left-right a tincan giving him no chance to strike back because of hiltslash problem. Poor tincan can't escape either, because armor weight makes him slow. All he can do is block every swing and hope the other dude makes a mistake, or some friendly Kuyak clone comes for his rescue.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 920
  • Infamy: 632
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2012, 11:48:55 pm »
You do know that he caused them in the first place, right? His armor formula change is also responsible for the massive increase of successful hiltslashes. I know he probably had good intentions, but the outcome is not very good in my opinion. It just shifted the power from tincans, which were at least hard to maintain financially, to the Kuyak clones. Nowadays any Kuyak clone with a greatsword who knows what he's doing can left-right-left-right a tincan giving him no chance to strike back because of hiltslash problem. Poor tincan can't escape either, because armor weight makes him slow. All he can do is block every swing and hope the other dude makes a mistake, or some friendly Kuyak clone comes for his rescue.

Important part.

Hiltslashing is gay, I agree. But it's way better than non skilled idiot wearing plate and spamming his weapon, knowing that some hits will bounce of him.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2012, 12:52:30 am »
+4
Important part.

Hiltslashing is gay, I agree. But it's way better than non skilled idiot wearing plate and spamming his weapon, knowing that some hits will bounce of him.

You can't simply load the spam problem onto the shoulders of plate armor knights. Spam is possible with all armors. It could also be argued that less glancing means more spam, because you don't have to worry about the other dude having faith in his armor and just swinging for once, instead of blocking your badly aimed swing.

Also, solid hits of decent weapons never glanced with the old formula, only hits of very weak weapons or badly angled hits. I know, some people found it preposterous that a knight in plate armor should be virtually impenetrable for peasant knives, but I never understood the reasoning behind it.

Offline H3ADSH0T

• Noble
  • Renown: 20
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2012, 01:59:12 am »
My idea has always been that armour material should make a difference instead of being JUSt and arbitrary number. This means that we'd now have plate, chain, scale, hide, etc as types which would react to pierce, cut, and blunt. Wouldn't it be nice if your plate armor had a realistic use? As a plated knight, unless you can pin me (realistically) to stab me through a joint or land a lucky hit your cutting weapons are going to "glance" right off of me. Mail is even more interesting. Blunt weapons are especially effective because mail doesn't stop the impact. But it -does- stop cutting weapons and depending on the size it is very effective at repelling piercing attacks.

This might not be entirely related but the combat speed of C-RPG is a joke.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 02:00:33 am by H3ADSH0T »