Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online  (Read 46114 times)

Offline Tor!

• He's Tor!
  • Marshall
  • Renown: 739
  • Infamy: 62
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Tor
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online
« Reply #510 on: April 22, 2014, 09:37:17 pm »
+2
game got crushed
[00:53] <xant> i used to play on eu_1
[00:53] <xant> then i took an arrow to the knee

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 22, 2014, 09:53:52 pm »
+3
I think Joe captured this one nicely, to be honest. He pointed out what is good, which is also what the non-fanboys (Nessaj, Umbra) in this thread pointed out - it's the DAoC-like PvP. Everything else is more or less meh or just plain horrible. Now if you think it's worth the cost for the PvP fine, but no way it's gonna remain P2P.

I already have a gif ready for that special moment.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #512 on: April 22, 2014, 09:59:30 pm »
+1
I think Joe captured this one nicely, to be honest. He pointed out what is good, which is also what the non-fanboys (Nessaj, Umbra) in this thread pointed out - it's the DAoC-like PvP. Everything else is more or less meh or just plain horrible. Now if you think it's worth the cost for the PvP fine, but no way it's gonna remain P2P.

I already have a gif ready for that special moment.

(click to show/hide)

Got this saved up
(click to show/hide)

But who are we telling so anyways, pretty much everyone expects it. Im also curious what they will do with the F2P version, since the basic stuff devs do when they go F2P is already in ESO with the special edition bonuses.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Voso

• Earl
  • Renown: 330
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The So-so.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Huey's Cavalieres
« Reply #513 on: April 22, 2014, 10:32:03 pm »
+1
Pretty much all of what Joe said was true. All the things he said were good were the same things I said were good, the class system, the combat, the crafting, and the PvP.

That being said, I am still enjoying the game.

Also take what he says with a grain of salt, he exaggerates a lot.

The imperial race being something you have to buy is really not that big of an issue, I would have rather had the imperials not available at all as they are daedra worshippers in the game and the imperial you play as is a rogue imperial who left his daedra worshipping brethren. But shit, just play as one of the other races appearance wise they don't stand out or look all that special. Anyone can get access to the imperial's racial crafting style and their unique racial abilities are good but not any better than the other races.

Plus, money isn't THAT hard to get. Only a stupid person would farm mobs for 1 gold a piece. If you wanted to farm mobs you can farm wolves easily for their leather and sell it in zone chat for 600g a stack much easier. Not to mention the fact that if you just quest you will get the gold along the way. I just felt they made them cost 42k instead of putting a level requirement on them like all other games. Basically if you are leveling an alt or something you can buy that 42k mount from the very start which is awesome, but otherwise you will have to wait til you are a higher level to get the best mount.

And running isn't that bad. I have been running on foot pretty much the whole game. There are wayshrines all over the place that you can teleport to much like guild wars 2 where there were no mounts at all.

The effects aren't epic or anything and the boss fights can be disappointing, though this is in line with every other MMO I have played, so its nothing new.

I have also been playing this game exclusively with my brother and haven't had any issues leveling together. A lot of stuff is counted for the group like kills and most of the time pickups but every group member does have to complete puzzles. However I have noticed you do run into some issues if you don't play exclusively with eachother because of the fact you sometimes can't help them with quests you have already completed.

The most infuriating thing about this game is the bots in public dungeons, as he said, there are usually ten or so bots sitting there camping the boss spamming auto attack in every dungeon. I wish the public dungeons were instanced per group, this might be something they change in the future.

And the nodes and chests should be instanced as well.

Additionally, the UI sucks. Though, as he said, it is easily fixed through addons thanks to their nice addon system. It is lame you have to use addons to fix the shitty UI, but its so easy to fix I don't really care.

But yeah, it is still possible to enjoy the game. Definitely try it when it goes f2p if you have your reservations. As I mentioned in my previous posts I believe it will go f2p in a year or so, maybe requiring an initial purchase of the game, and if you would like to save the money your best bet would be to wait. I personally wanted a MMO to play right now and don't care about spending 15$ a month so I have been enjoying this.

I really think the biggest problem for ESO is the fact that it is an Elder Scrolls MMO, as this creates expectations that will not be met. It is just a MMO with a taste of Elder Scrolls lore.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 10:38:01 pm by Voso »

There are old sellswords and bold sellswords, but there are no old, bold sellswords.

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
« Reply #514 on: April 23, 2014, 10:11:35 am »
+2
Joe's a great reviewer I've followed for ages, I like how he for example waited a long time to do his GTA5 review because he wanted the full impression of the game, unlike most other reviews at the time which were judging "the book" by its cover.
That's why I think it's weird he's judging ESO when — according to his video — he only played around ~20 levels or so of the game, hardly enough to judge an MMO imo, albeit his score seems fair overall to me.

I've never encountered any of the bugs he mentioned too, a few D/Cs, login issues for some one evening, which have been fixed and not seen since, otherwise nothing. Any sort of bugged quests so far could be fixed by redoing it or otherwise some trickery.

ESO isn't the holy grail, a WoW-killer, or anything else than a good looking MMO game of decent quality/content and great PVP; scores of 5/10, 6/10, 6.5/10 are all acceptable imo.
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 23, 2014, 02:41:52 pm »
+2
They said Age of Conan was gonna kill WoW..it didn't. They said SWTOR was gonna kill WoW...it didn't (tho it was decent overall). They said Guild Wars 2 was gonna kill WoW...it didn't. They said ESO is/was gonna kill WoW and from the looks of it..it won't.

Can't beat the original i guess.

Overall it looks like a watered down version of an TES game with MMO features. But even the MMO features seems lacking in comparison to other MMOs. Meh....wake me up when a Fallout MMO with Fallout 3/NV combat system (minus V.A.T.S) pops up.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 04:17:39 pm by LordBerenger »

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 520
  • Infamy: 278
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 23, 2014, 06:00:27 pm »
+7
Nothing can kill WoW. It can only die of old age. WoW is still living, not because it's the best thing out there. It is still popular because people are so used to playing it, for many of them paying a sub for WoW is like paying electric bill. Most of those who pay regularly don't even play the game that much.

There will never be game like WoW anymore, capable of earning as much money through subscription. Even Blizzard knows this and that is why their main games of today (with exception of WoW) are Hearthstone (F2P), Diablo 3 (B2P), StarCraft II (B2P) and upcoming Blizzard Dota (F2P).

ESO on the other hand, will be a fine F2P game in a year or so. Just like Age of Conan, The Secret World, Rift, Guild Wars 2, Heroes and Generals, Neverwinter etc. Problem is, will there be people willing to play it in a year with the same passion?

When WoW came out, couple MMORPG died of old age (Asheron's Call and similar), some were killed by developers (Galaxies) and the pretty much only serious contender was Everquest 2 which was painfully average game. No wonder WoW rocked the world. But now, there is so much competition. Besides actual MMORPGs, there are different, more accessible kind of online games such as Dota, LOL, HoN, WoT, WT, Hawken, Titanfall. I believe we came to a point where we have more choice than we can manage. Therefore smaller communities for each game.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: April 23, 2014, 06:24:19 pm »
+1
Nothing can kill WoW. It can only die of old age. WoW is still living, not because it's the best thing out there. It is still popular because people are so used to playing it, for many of them paying a sub for WoW is like paying electric bill. Most of those who pay regularly don't even play the game that much.

There will never be game like WoW anymore, capable of earning as much money through subscription. Even Blizzard knows this and that is why their main games of today (with exception of WoW) are Hearthstone (F2P), Diablo 3 (B2P), StarCraft II (B2P) and upcoming Blizzard Dota (F2P).

ESO on the other hand, will be a fine F2P game in a year or so. Just like Age of Conan, The Secret World, Rift, Guild Wars 2, Heroes and Generals, Neverwinter etc. Problem is, will there be people willing to play it in a year with the same passion?

When WoW came out, couple MMORPG died of old age (Asheron's Call and similar), some were killed by developers (Galaxies) and the pretty much only serious contender was Everquest 2 which was painfully average game. No wonder WoW rocked the world. But now, there is so much competition. Besides actual MMORPGs, there are different, more accessible kind of online games such as Dota, LOL, HoN, WoT, WT, Hawken, Titanfall. I believe we came to a point where we have more choice than we can manage. Therefore smaller communities for each game.

Man Leshma, sometimes you really surprise. Excellently said.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 23, 2014, 06:40:40 pm »
+1
Not to mention that WoW also became the big thing when MMORPGs were experiencing a massive boom. Anyone remember MuOnline? :lol:

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: April 23, 2014, 08:12:01 pm »
+1
Also we should all just buy Warlords of Draenor expansion and get back into WoW when it comes out. For da Alliance.

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #520 on: April 23, 2014, 09:02:45 pm »
Alliance? Are ye gay?  :lol:
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Polobow

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoA
« Reply #521 on: April 23, 2014, 09:28:49 pm »

Where does EvE fit in to this?

Offline //saxon

• King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • I'm just to dam goood 😎
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saxon
« Reply #522 on: April 23, 2014, 09:51:03 pm »
Angry Joe is the best games critic on youtube for many reasons.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #523 on: April 23, 2014, 09:58:16 pm »
Also we should all just buy Warlords of Draenor expansion and get back into WoW when it comes out. For da Alliance.

I'm with you, for the alliance! (ex horde here, part of me died when i swapped..)

Will renew my sub with the new expansion, hopefully stay for a bit longer aswell.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: April 23, 2014, 10:25:57 pm »