Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online  (Read 46113 times)

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls Online
« Reply #495 on: April 22, 2014, 02:52:43 pm »
+1
the successful MMOs are all P2P. personally i havent played any F2P game i enjoyed more than any P2P ive played. do i really have to mention eve online, a MMO that has been P2P for over 11 years and still with more than 50k+ online at any time of day (ok, maybe apart from right before and after downtime :p)?! and what about WoW? how many years was it P2P? isnt it still P2P or did they finally put the beast to rest? and, lol, EVERQUEST...? P2P for years and zillions of cool expansions. you wont get a zillion expansions like we got in eve online and everquest without P2P. i P2P any day.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 22, 2014, 03:17:20 pm »
the successful MMOs are all P2P. personally i havent played any F2P game i enjoyed more than any P2P ive played. do i really have to mention eve online, a MMO that has been P2P for over 11 years and still with more than 50k+ online at any time of day (ok, maybe apart from right before and after downtime :p)?! and what about WoW? how many years was it P2P? isnt it still P2P or did they finally put the beast to rest? and, lol, EVERQUEST...? P2P for years and zillions of cool expansions. you wont get a zillion expansions like we got in eve online and everquest without P2P. i P2P any day.

What a load of horseshit:
a) all the MMOs you mentioned brought something new to the table in the era when P2P was still popular. Everquest - kind of first of its kind in what we today call the generic MMO. WoW - improved/casualized the generic MMO genre. EVE - one of it's kind, and still remains so. They were massively popular due to that reason and are keeping enough players to live with P2P even today.
b) There's plenty of successful F2Ps (or gone F2P) - Planetside 2, Runescape, Maplestory (was immensely popular in Asia), RIFT, Lineage 2, ...
c) F2Ps get expansions and new content all the time - case in point Planetside 2, RIFT, SWTOR, TERA, LOTRO, ...

you cannot beat me at this game little man

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #497 on: April 22, 2014, 03:34:51 pm »
F2P games get new content yes. But you need to pay for it.

LotRO add-on that came out in 2013 was to be bought for real money. For p2p and f2p players. Of course both could buy it in the in game store later on as well, but for that you would need to grind a lot. In the end it is cheaper to buy it. And even though new areas get added without an add-on you need to purchase them as well. Only the starting areas are for free + 1 or 2 others.
SWTOR add ons cost money as well, the first add-on was like 18€. The newest costs money as well for both p2p and f2p players. In SWTOR you need to put a lot of money if you don't buy a subscription for 6-12€ a month. You for example only get half xp after lvl 25 which makes it a grinding game. You can't access dungeons more than 3x (?) times a week.

For casual gamers that play 3-4 hours a week, thats fine. For anyone else, get a subscription!

In the end, unless you're really into grinding, P2P is always cheaper. 50 cent a day is nothing. Play 3 hours day and you pay 17 cent per hour. What's wrong about such a cheap price? Doing anything else, you pay more. Cinema is about 8-12€ for the movie + 3-7€ for food. Working out in a studio costs 20€ a month.

And to let a game be P2P, it doesn't really have to offer anything new - but actually TESO does that.
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 22, 2014, 03:42:01 pm »
F2P games get new content yes. But you need to pay for it.

LotRO add-on that came out in 2013 was to be bought for real money. For p2p and f2p players. Of course both could buy it in the in game store later on as well, but for that you would need to grind a lot. In the end it is cheaper to buy it. And even though new areas get added without an add-on you need to purchase them as well. Only the starting areas are for free + 1 or 2 others.
SWTOR add ons cost money as well, the first add-on was like 18€. The newest costs money as well for both p2p and f2p players. In SWTOR you need to put a lot of money if you don't buy a subscription for 6-12€ a month. You for example only get half xp after lvl 25 which makes it a grinding game. You can't access dungeons more than 3x (?) times a week.

For casual gamers that play 3-4 hours a week, thats fine. For anyone else, get a subscription!

In the end, unless you're really into grinding, P2P is always cheaper. 50 cent a day is nothing. Play 3 hours day and you pay 17 cent per hour. What's wrong about such a cheap price? Doing anything else, you pay more. Cinema is about 8-12€ for the movie + 3-7€ for food. Working out in a studio costs 20€ a month.

Right, obviously even F2Ps aren't really free to play and all of them offer something exclusive for paying users. How fair one's system is, is another case. You of course listed the two more horrible cases of F2P. Some F2Ps offer a great deal of content without paying a single cent (RIFT, PS2, etc). Heck, EVE can be played for completely no cash if you managed to be that successful.

And to let a game be P2P, it doesn't really have to offer anything new - but actually TESO does that.

How incredibly generous of TESO to actually provide new content for paying users. GOTY2014

Offline Thryn

• Meme Artisan
  • Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 1177
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook
  • buff 2h tbh
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Confederacy
  • Game nicks: Thryn
  • IRC nick: Black Bastards
« Reply #499 on: April 22, 2014, 03:58:13 pm »
rip elder scrolls
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 06:36:48 pm by anotherGhost »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

We may not love corrupt government, but we must love our country.

Offline Miwiw

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: April 22, 2014, 03:58:49 pm »
I listed the two cases I know. Never considered playing any of the other games, especially Rift/Eve and Tera.
For me both SWTOR/LotRO were perfect games however.

Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #501 on: April 22, 2014, 04:03:02 pm »
+7

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #502 on: April 22, 2014, 04:41:07 pm »
+1
Was about to post that.. horses cost 42k and each mob drops 1 gold. So either grind 42,000 mobs or pay 20$ and get it for free! 60$+15$ sub fee+20$ special edition to get the entire game. Even if the game is amazing i wouldnt pay that much just to play the actual game.

I wouldnt be surprised if they added pay2win content soon, pay 15$ for this legendary super sword which is 1.5x better than anything else in the game.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 22, 2014, 04:52:50 pm »
+3
The best kind of F2P model is cosmetics and buying ingame money with real money. There's nothing wrong with people being able to pay real money to "skip ahead". The only problem that can arise in that situation is that if the game has a strong vertical progression then the tensions between haves and have-nots will be reinforced by that business model. However, you could argue that the game would have those issues anyway because you don't need money to spend 18 hours a day grinding and progressing ten times faster than everybody else.

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
« Reply #504 on: April 22, 2014, 05:50:39 pm »
+1
Was about to post that.. horses cost 42k and each mob drops 1 gold. So either grind 42,000 mobs or pay 20$ and get it for free! 60$+15$ sub fee+20$ special edition to get the entire game. Even if the game is amazing i wouldnt pay that much just to play the actual game.

You'll have 42k gold quite fast if you're saving specifically for a mount, the items that drop are ~15/25 gold a pop to begin with, not to mention you find plenty of various set items that can be sold for good profit even at level 10~20.

Quote from: Tips :P
Items like Racial Lore Traits typically sell for 2,000 gold each. Stacks of refined crafting resources also sell for much higher in Zone chat than if you were to sell them to merchants. NPC vendors will buy stacks of 100 resources for 100-200 gold, while buyers on Zone chat will typically pay 1,000+ gold.

You can also unlock skills that double or triple the amount of items you receive from crafting abilities. Not to mention you can sell the prerequisite items for each individual profession, you'll find them no matter what when travelling the world anyway.

The effort required to make gold is very varied and very balanced.

I wouldnt be surprised if they added pay2win content soon, pay 15$ for this legendary super sword which is 1.5x better than anything else in the game.

I also hugely doubt this game will be pay2win or I would be seriously disappointed in Matt Firor, I hope he continues to stay true to his DAoC design, it might become F2P because the investors likes $$$, personally I would prefer it with a subscription where everything is then available through the game, instead of having 50% of the in-game items only being accessible with a purchase, not to mention that F2P games always attract a hardcore and serious amount of cheaters and cheat-makers, though that's quite the harder operation in an MMO system than a normal FPS game. However hopefully it'll be a cosmetics/ingame-money model like Kafein says.

ESO have the whole DAoC crowd going for it now too, if you read the old DAoC forums it seems they're all flocking to ESO lately, while quickly losing interest in Camelot Unchained by Mark Jacobs (another DAoC remnant), which before ESO was what everyone (of the old DAoC players) were waiting for despite the very lackluster showing so far. My personal interest in CU is completely gone, ESO has all the DAoC essentials for PVP, and CU is defending their anime looking vikings...
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline Miwiw

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: April 22, 2014, 06:03:17 pm »
A horse is great, yes. But its playable without. Usually you dont run a lot anyway, as quests are everywhere. Sprinting is damn fast and a horse makes it easier if you are grinding for iron/marble and stuff for example.
However you can upgrade your horse, every 20 hours you can do that, and by that you can give it either speed or stamina which makes it a bit faster. But I dont think its a game breaking difference at all.

In PvP however, you really need a horse!

EDIT: I forgot one thing. If you got the Imperial Edition, and buy a horse for 1 gold, you never need to worry about saving gold at all. I wouldnt mind buying a 42k horse though if they're better. However for now I'm not really saving my gold as I got the horse already thanks to the Imperial Edition. That's making some stuff easier of course...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 06:19:23 pm by Miwiw »
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: April 22, 2014, 08:54:32 pm »
i have 43k horse and all ive done is questing, saving gold since i can build everything i need myself provided i have the mats and knowledge of course. the only things ive spend gold on is mount, enchanting, repairs and traveling. and i havent really been cheap with the enchanting. every 2nd level i upgraded all gear + enchants. at level 40 you get like 400-500+ gold per quest. you can also buy lesser horse for real money as well as gold.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #507 on: April 22, 2014, 08:57:26 pm »
+1

Ugh.

That review really destroys this game. I havn't played it and I doubt I will.

Such a cashgrab. Managed to disappoint even more than I predicted.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: April 22, 2014, 09:15:10 pm »
+6
Seems like Bethesda forgot to buy Angry Joe, whopsie.
Mods compatible with cRPG. New crosshairs, textures, sounds, yay.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: April 22, 2014, 09:19:47 pm »