Author Topic: Why archery is broken and how to fix it  (Read 1487 times)

Offline Herpderp

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Why archery is broken and how to fix it
« on: May 01, 2012, 06:48:27 pm »
First I'll start off by mentioning a few facts. I've played native for a long time, cRPG for more then a year as of this point, and I've played archer at least 50% of my time. I also am pretty good at archery in real life, and if it matters I was born under the constellation of Sagittarius. Now that we got if I'm qualified enough to argue this out of the way, I would like to explain exactly how archery is broken. In native, archery is relatively more realistic, and definitely overpowered. Against a decent archer or me you cannot get into close range without expecting to be headshot most of the time, and my kd/r was at least 5:1 as archer, my deaths being mostly to other archers and xbowers. This is broken yes, but actually also as broken as it is in cRPG. Not overpowered broken, but a different kind of broken. This was like this at the start, patches did not change it from being not broken. The reason it's broken is because of the accuracy and damage values. Mainly accuracy, even at level 30 as a dedicated archer you will hit about 35 degrees to your target at medium range. This leads to archery being luck, not skill. My positioning is what gets me kills, not aim. And barely any kills at that. I get an average 1 mace kill per game, and do about enough damage to kill a medium armoured enemy and a half with my bow. And this as a dedicated archer with all my points towards archery-based skills. No PF, IS, or 2h wpf here. So everybody who is saying archery doesn't require skill is right, but only because of what I've said so far. This doesn't only effect archers either. Archery being broken is one of the reasons most cav in cRPG are braindead. I can't even count the number of times a horse xbower went up to me point blank when I was shooting him and shot me right in the face, or a lancer cav charging straight into me in a line of archers just to bump me and run away without a thought. Even though if archery required skill they would be pincushions they go directly into crying about archers being skill-less cowards when they die. Stay classy cav. I will guarantee you if cavalry actually got punished while running into a group of archers or dumb polearms they would be a lot smarter, but that's an argument for another day. So that's how it's broken, and now for how to fix it. First, make wpf matter little towards accuracy and have archers always be almost accurate, with level 30 being close to how it is in native. Sounds insane? Now here's the balance part. Have wpf count for arrow speed and distance adding up to damage. Not only is this a good idea but it adds to realism. Accuracy is player skill, strength and speed is experience. Using a better bow should be harder with lower wpf, so that using a longbow with low wpf gives you less arrow speed and damage while using a lighter load bow is better in that area until you get enough wpf. Accuracy should remain the same. Just to make you guys sure that the current system doesn't make sense, compare it to melee combat. Having your arrows miss at max level even at close range is like having your blocks and swings randomly not work. Being able to beat an enemy in melee with worst stats/weapons should be the same for archers, if they have enough skill in positioning and accuracy. And finally to sum it up please buff income at least by a bit. I know archers don't need armour but it really sucks losing .8k constantly just for having bodkins and archers get punished enough in many ways for having armour as it is.

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
Re: Why archery is broken and how to fix it
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 06:57:23 pm »
+3
Use paragraphs goddammit... :shock:

Also: No, what you're saying doesn't hold any special legitimacy and is mostly just reflected personal opinions.

The accuracy bit I can kind of, slightly, to a small extent (...) agree with, but missile speed should stay.

I also like how you try to hide your message "BUFF ARCHERY" behind sneaky formulations and an annoying wall of text.

Have a nice day!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1250
  • Infamy: 1681
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 06:57:52 pm »
+4

Offline Ptolemy

• Weeaboo
  • Count
  • Renown: 257
  • Infamy: 182
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja
  • Game nicks: Nomin
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 07:11:15 pm »
TL;DR.

Offline Arrowblood

• Duke
  • Renown: 508
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Arrowblood
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 07:11:26 pm »
what is your build herpderp???

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 07:50:15 pm »
+6
People won't listen to you, even if the read through it.

Make the reticule pinpoint accurate at 150 WPF at full longest range. In other words, if a target is standing still, and you have your crosshairs on it (adjusting for the arc of course, it is actually an inch or so above), then you hit it.

Increase bow damage across the board.

Next, un-nerf athletics so that melee can dodge properly again. That means being able to use strafe that got nerfed to shit, not by spinning left and right 90 degrees while charging forwards. It doesn't matter if an archer has pinpoint accuracy if the melee is no longer where the archer shot. Being able to dodge properly with proper athletics will also nerf cavalry by proxy (as it should be)

Reduce the athletics penalty given to shielders. If you have to reduce the weight of shields to 0 weight accomplish that, then do it.

Give cavalry their range back on poles on horseback. Let them spin around as they want trying to catch those dancing melee again.

Take away the bonus damage to cavalry legs.

Given all of that, in proper measure to each buffed item, the game will be in balance again.

However, the outcry from the strength crutchers will shake the very foundations of the heavens. Teeth gnashing will rend the air with its screeching sound, blowing out eardrums and the forums will run with blood as they can no longer have their cake and rub it in the faces of agility builds too. "I want my 27/6 build and I want to catch anyone on the field while doing it!!"
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Herpderp

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 09:04:35 pm »
I also like how you try to hide your message "BUFF ARCHERY" behind sneaky formulations and an annoying wall of text.

I'm not just crying out for a buff. I want a mechanic rework. Technically yes good archers should be made better. There is currently no skill involved in archery outside of positioning. I'm sure many good archers for example Fallen members can agree archery is not rewarding. If melee combat was equally brainless there would be plenty of people complaining.

what is your build herpderp???

Currently I find the Hornbow build to be the best, enough STR for power draw for the bow rest in AGI related skills, all wpf to bow, don't remember the exact numbers. I've tried pretty much all archery builds hornbow is the only bow worth using imo because of all the bonuses it gives you.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 09:05:38 pm by Herpderp »

Offline mcdeath

• Marshall
  • Renown: 797
  • Infamy: 349
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 10:16:24 pm »
Archery is fine where it is. It is not broken and it is not op. I was an archer for 3 of my 7 gens and I stopped cause I wanted to be melee. I was an archer through three updates and right now it is the best out of the three
McDeath: This guy doesn't shut his lip, but he's one of the funniest players in-game.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 10:46:54 pm »
I was born under the constellation of Sagittarius.

You are my natural whatever it is I'm supposed to hate. So I hate you and minused your post.

And yeah, first ever thread I replied to without reading the OP. Including Joker threads.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 10:48:56 pm by Kafein »

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 12:12:00 am »
+1
Archery will be fine again with a proper nerf.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 12:20:56 am »
I dont get it, I find less accuracy to make archery more demanding and skill based... It's like you've got it backwards.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 12:33:46 am »
I dont get it, I find less accuracy to make archery more demanding and skill based... It's like you've got it backwards.

So you think that more randomness = more skill? You're the backwards country peasant.

More accurate with the enemy being more able to evade = more skill on both counts.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 12:47:58 am »
+3
I think archery would be better if bows were more accurate and the damage of bows was normalized. Right now they either seem to do no damage or a fuck-ton.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 01:02:46 am »
I think archery would be better if bows were more accurate and the damage of bows was normalized. Right now they either seem to do no damage or a fuck-ton.

This, for the love of god this. Please please please find a way to normalize damage from arrows and have the random armour value not swing from 50%-100% from range.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 01:04:02 am »
+1
I - it just for the thread title.