Author Topic: Why archery is broken and how to fix it  (Read 1493 times)

Offline POOPHAMMER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 328
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • yes thats me irl
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Barabe
  • Game nicks: POOPHAMMER
Re: Why archery is broken and how to fix it
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2012, 01:08:09 am »
+2
Use paragraphs goddammit... :shock:

He did
(click to show/hide)
Uther Pendragon: dont worry i wasnt planning on trusting you anyway

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2012, 04:54:27 am »
So you think that more randomness = more skill? You're the backwards country peasant.
I'd appreciate some sence when arguing.

smaller reticule -> easier to aim -> less skill required

Archery is never trully random. the path of the arrow can be centred on the reticule with a good deal of timming and steadyness on the archers' part(kind of like, you know, real life). This is what distinguiches skillful archers from the others. True that smaller retivules would allow easier long-range headshots, but noone wants that, save archers.

What the op is suggesting is making crpg look more like native, with meleers dancing around like crazy to dodge.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 05:00:48 am by Adamar »

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 01:16:27 pm »
+3
Archery is fine where it is. It is not broken and it is not op. I was an archer for 3 of my 7 gens and I stopped cause I wanted to be melee. I was an archer through three updates and right now it is the best out of the three

I've done archery on and off for many different patches and i can tell you that archery right now is about the weakest it's ever been. The trend for most other classes is towards slightly more power or minor nerfs, but with all the complaints about ranged archery receives nerf after nerf. The general trend is to nerf archery, realize that they nerfed to hard and then bring it back up a little till it's not as bad as the nerf but still worse than the previous patch. After this cycle is done, wait until the new archery style is accepted as the norm (though it is significantly worse than the previous cycle) then nerf archery again.

People are stubborn so there will always be archers, but i remember a time when arrows actually did damage to targets and actually flew a reasonable distance at a reasonable speed. T'was a grand time.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 03:50:26 pm »
I'd appreciate some sence when arguing.

Then don't cut out the argument you pleeb.

I dont get it, I find less accuracy to make archery more demanding and skill based... It's like you've got it backwards.

So you think that more randomness = more skill? You're the backwards country peasant.

More accurate with the enemy being more able to evade = more skill on both counts.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Vammo75

• Knight
  • Renown: 40
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Vamm
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2012, 10:15:21 am »
I dont get it, I find less accuracy to make archery more demanding and skill based... It's like you've got it backwards.

If you fire arrows at a wall with a steady aim only ~50% will hit where the centre of the the area covered by your reticule: the rest will be spread out over the remaining area. It is this randomness that is presumably being talked about. There is now amount of skill that will let you hit a target 100% of the time at a range where your reticule is bigger than the target.

I would support:

1) Pin-point accuracy (no randomness) with all bows and  0 wpt
2) Missile speed increase with wpt
3) Forced 1st person (like there was on EU 3 a long time ago)

Skilled archers wouldn't have to min-max: more melee, less running, less point-blank shooting.

And Rustyspoons suggestion:
I think archery would be better if bows were more accurate and the damage of bows was normalized. Right now they either seem to do no damage or a fuck-ton.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 10:28:06 am by Vammo75 »