Author Topic: What is the point of upkeep?  (Read 11124 times)

Offline micah243

• Knight
  • Renown: 51
  • Infamy: 38
  • cRPG Player
  • Lord_Tinsley Arthur_Dane
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BW
  • Game nicks: Lord_tinsley Arthur_Dane
Re: What is the point of upkeep?
« Reply #120 on: April 26, 2012, 12:22:53 am »
Kafien is right. If you want everyone to be equal go play Native. This is for people who want the feeling of accomplishment as they level up and begin to do more damage to the good player. It is great when you level up and can finally start getting some good kills. At level 20 which does not take very long to get to, you can have enough money and can do enough damage to be an asset to your team.

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 26, 2012, 12:27:15 am »
+2
That is my point. Why do new players who are already trying to learn the game have to be hindered so hard, for no reason.

You are agreeing with exactly what I am saying. You are telling new players, Hey, you are useless, run around in peasant clothes dieing all over the place for X amount of time, basically so high level players can feel better about themselves.

I am saying low level players don't matter, they can't do anything. That is the same thing you have been saying. The reason is because they have so much against them already, why do we have to slow them down even more? What does it matter if before level 20 they can wear mid level, hell even the low level gear without slowing down their income?

Why is everyone so afraid of or against helping low level players? Do you not want more people to play this game? Seriously.

Gear and level ARE NOT THE SAME THING why cant you understand that. ALSO independant from both is SKILL. Sure, there are some players who push to level 34/35 with a shield and a spammy 1hander, this requires no skill at all. But they are the VAST minority:

As a low level player, you are playing a part in this RPG: you are roleplaying a new soldier. You best bet, reguardless of class, is to buy a bamboo spear, get 10 strengh, and run behind the heavies, pokeing their enemies to open their blocks, and keeping horses off.

BUT AS TO LEARN TO THE GAME: You should NOT be coming to this mod if you dont KNOW how to play mount and blade, much less Warband. If you are not a fan of the franchise and are a recent buyer, WHY NOT play the NATIVE for a while? Learn the GAME there, you come here when you are done with that.

I hate to be elitist but thats how I feel. Admittedly, I first got MnB when it was about a euro, there was no hard copy, it was a very different animal. And then years later, WARBAND! omfg multiplayer, I couldnt believe it. Only after many months of honing my skills did I look for mods, and stumbled on this one. At the time, there were not so many good players, I bested 99% of the players in fights once I had a weapon that did dmg. But the game has changed, and it IS for the better.

Currently, you level pretty fucking fast, you gain money pretty fucking fast, you can have your choice of gear PRETTY FUCKING FAST. It IS noob friendly, but unfortunatly, its like any online pvp game: There are those who will see that you are not clued up on the timing, footwork, blocking, and will punish you, not because they dislike you, but because we ALL live for it:

WE ALL LIKE TO DESTROY other players faces. With axes, swords, bows, lances, spears, throwing knives, even with crossbows. We love it. If you want to play in an enviroment where there is LESS epeen waving, 1/ try rageball, lightweight gear is an ADVANTAGE there alot of the time, or 2/ DONT play a game where we beat each other to death as brutally as we are able.
I don't know enough

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Shamlow

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 26, 2012, 12:27:56 am »
I hope this has helped you to understand how random, backward, and ignorant you are being.

Alright, if you are going to argue with me about this and call me stupid. The least you could do is type out coherently in your post, or read over it one time to check your grammar. Maybe your first language is not English, I don't know.

Shamlow, to be very clear :

If I wear 0 upkeep equipment at level 30+ at x1, I win 50 gold per tick.

If I wear 0 upkeep equipment at level 1 at x1, I win 50 gold per tick.

If I wear 5k+ upkeep equipment at level 30+, I lose money.

If I wear 5k+ upkeep equipment at low level (that allows me to use that in the first place), I lose the same amount of money.

This is exactly my point, there is no reason for the level 1 to be hit with any kind of upkeep. It is just slowing him down and making him want to quit the game.

The only way k/d could influence your income is that it influences the winning chances of your team, which is hardly true as the autobalancer is very far from perfect (so most matches are won because one team crushes the other) and their are 100ish other players on the server that influence the outcome too. Also, good players are teamswitched around.

This adresses one part of your claims.

None of that has anything to do with anything in this thread. Nobody has talked about k/d or even win/lose income differences. They don't matter, only you keep talking about this. I don't know why it is hardly relevant to the actual problem.

This is false. You do not earn money by leveling up. Most level 31+ people actually are broke because they can't retire and sell loom points.

Furthermore, upkeep hits everyone the same way. That someone with 1M gold would be less afflicted than someone with 20k in bank is a twist of the human brain.

You have to earn money by leveling up, you just stated why in the previous quote. By just standing afk and leveling/gaining gold you are earning money as you level.

The fact that you don't understand how someone with 1million dollar and someone with 20k dollars are effected differently by a tax that hits them both equally in borderline insane. That means you don't understand simple addiction/subtraction much less economics. Why do you think people with higher income and lower income are taxed different in real life? Do you not understand how it would make more sense to make the upkeep% based vs your level in the least to help out poorer/newer players?

Simply stop posting in this thread, because I am not going to talk to you anymore. I see you posting a lot on the forums, and are just trying to get face time, but I am honestly trying to help this game be more appealing to a wider based audience.

Offline Shamlow

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 26, 2012, 12:30:03 am »
Have you ever played literally any other online MMO type game? Does WoW start you out as a super rich badass??! or can 99% of the guys you meet own you and buy all your shit for pennies to them? Where would any satisfaction from leveling up come from if playing did not get you better gear? Wow... idk what is wrong with you.

HI WOW'S REPAIR COSTS ARE RELATIVE TO YOUR ITEM LEVEL AND YOUR LEVEL IN THE GAME, THAT IS WHY AT LEVEL 10 YOUR REPAIR BILL IS 5 SILVER AND AT 85 IT'S 50 GOLD. THAT'S NOT THE WAY IT WORKS IN THIS GAME, EVEN THOUGH IT SHOULD.

Offline Shamlow

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 26, 2012, 12:32:43 am »
Currently, you level pretty fucking fast, you gain money pretty fucking fast, you can have your choice of gear PRETTY FUCKING FAST. It IS noob friendly, but unfortunatly, its like any online pvp game: There are those who will see that you are not clued up on the timing, footwork, blocking, and will punish you, not because they dislike you, but because we ALL live for it:

It's not newbie friendly, that is why almost all the reviews hate on it, and all the players hate on it. Except for the 10 diehard fanboys I am talking to at the moment, that are so scared of change they are arguing with themselves.

I am agreeing with almost everything everyone is saying. All I am saying is that the upkeep against lowbies is to high, and should be in the least level based, if it has to be in at all.

Offline zottlmarsch

• King
  • Renown: 1114
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems (Founder)
  • Game nicks: Eberhart & Juta von Krems
  • IRC nick: Dan
« Reply #125 on: April 26, 2012, 12:33:56 am »
heres a solution for you friend, why don't you spend more time grinding xp and gold and less time whining on forums, we was all gen 1 once too ya know, in fact I spent about 2 gens just running around with a shirt and knife, ffs man deal with it!  8-)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 12:36:35 am by zottlmarsch »

Offline micah243

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 26, 2012, 12:36:19 am »
Lol i wasnt saying WoWs repair costs.. I am saying that ANY MMO does not start new players out on equal footing as high level players who have played for months. In other games dont you wear shitty stuff sometimes so you can save up and get the good stuff? It is the same principle here. You wear some shitty stuff to save up your money until you can buy good armor and afford the upkeep. I can understand your arguement about level based upkeep, but that wouldnt work. Why should a guy who has played for months be punished with higher upkeep because he has invested more time in the game? the way the upkeep system is currently works very well for new and old players alike, you just dont see that yet. New players wear cheaper gear so their upkeep is less. That is how it works. And honesly my Gen 1 by level 15 I was getting kills. The first levels are for you to find what you like weapon wise and to invest in skills.

Offline Shamlow

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 26, 2012, 12:37:35 am »
Kafien is right. If you want everyone to be equal go play Native. This is for people who want the feeling of accomplishment as they level up and begin to do more damage to the good player. It is great when you level up and can finally start getting some good kills. At level 20 which does not take very long to get to, you can have enough money and can do enough damage to be an asset to your team.

You want the feeling of accomplishment of running through a bunch of peasants with no risk of taking damage and one hitting them. You are right at level 20 you can start doing just fine, you can wear decent gear and not get one hit killed.

All I am saying is holding those peasants back so much is unnecessary. That's it, you don't have to take out upkeep you don't have to take out the grind the money nothing. Just maybe though you should let new players get a better feel for the game, new people aren't going to devote time to getting to level 20 getting demolished for X amount of hours.

Why do you not want to encourage more people to play this game?

Offline Shamlow

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 26, 2012, 12:38:36 am »
heres a solution for you friend, why don't you spend more time grinding xp and gold and less time whining on forums, we was all gen 1 once too ya know, in fact I spent about 2 gens just running around with a shirt and knife, ffs man deal with it!

Ya, just deal with it who cares, I like to just waste my time. I don't want to try to make anything more enjoyable to anyone else or myself.

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 26, 2012, 12:39:03 am »
+1
Alright, if you are going to argue with me about this and call me stupid. The least you could do is type out coherently in your post, or read over it one time to check your grammar. Maybe your first language is not English, I don't know.

I hate to be a dick, but:

1/ My first language is NOT english, correct.

2/ In the paragraph complaining about my grammar, you have made 3 grammatical mistakes.

Now, calm down, noone is attacking you, we are trying to help: Upkeep is required for all players, at level 1 you will NOT have any upkeep, unless it is 5 gold on a scythe or somesuch, but making 50 gold a tick, this will not affect you.

We mention winning alot because winning the round gives you MORE money per tick the next round, so upkeep is even less of a problem, thus allowing you to use more expensive gear in security, this is why the loadout menu pops up between rounds. Well, that and it keeps afk's from spawning, and gives you time to adjust your gear to deal with different situations.
I don't know enough

Offline micah243

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 26, 2012, 12:42:14 am »
Okay you understand a little more what we are saying I think. And I think you are a little clearer now to. I can see doing a discount for level 1 players, but that adds a whole new problem. You can retire back to level 1 at level 31. Does the guy who retires back to level 1 still get the upkeep discount? What if he has sold his loom point and is already rich? What if he did not sell it and is still poor? See where the problem comes up?

Offline Shamlow

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 26, 2012, 12:42:19 am »
Lol i wasnt saying WoWs repair costs.. I am saying that ANY MMO does not start new players out on equal footing as high level players who have played for months. In other games dont you wear shitty stuff sometimes so you can save up and get the good stuff? It is the same principle here. You wear some shitty stuff to save up your money until you can buy good armor and afford the upkeep. I can understand your arguement about level based upkeep, but that wouldnt work. Why should a guy who has played for months be punished with higher upkeep because he has invested more time in the game? the way the upkeep system is currently works very well for new and old players alike, you just dont see that yet. New players wear cheaper gear so their upkeep is less. That is how it works. And honesly my Gen 1 by level 15 I was getting kills. The first levels are for you to find what you like weapon wise and to invest in skills.

Alright, you literally compared WoW to this game. In a conversation about Upkeep/repair costs, they have different names for the same thing. So, I don't know what else to say to you.

Why should a guy who has played for months be punished with higher upkeep because he has invested more time in the game?

That statement seriously blows my mind. Just the fact that you somehow think it's punishment. Better gear = more upkeep.

Offline zottlmarsch

• King
  • Renown: 1114
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems (Founder)
  • Game nicks: Eberhart & Juta von Krems
  • IRC nick: Dan
« Reply #132 on: April 26, 2012, 12:43:48 am »
+1
Ya, just deal with it who cares, I like to just waste my time. I don't want to try to make anything more enjoyable to anyone else or myself.

you are too retarted, how is it a waste of time when in the end you benefit from it? do you not understand all the old veterans had to put in hours and hours of gruelling peasant warfare to get to where they are now, of course if you are just planning to play this game for a few weeks and want to ride around in plate with a big sword on a heavy horse etc then just play native as others have stated. you don't get no free ride here, you have to work for your shit.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 12:46:38 am by zottlmarsch »

Offline micah243

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 26, 2012, 12:47:22 am »
+1
Better gear does equal more upkeep! I know that! I am saying that they should not have to pay more upkeep and have the low level players get a discount on upkeep AND have cheaper upkeep since their gear is worse. You are blowing my mind man with how stupid you are... seriously man...

Offline Shamlow

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 26, 2012, 12:47:54 am »
Okay you understand a little more what we are saying I think. And I think you are a little clearer now to. I can see doing a discount for level 1 players, but that adds a whole new problem. You can retire back to level 1 at level 31. Does the guy who retires back to level 1 still get the upkeep discount? What if he has sold his loom point and is already rich? What if he did not sell it and is still poor? See where the problem comes up?

I have not changed my stance on anything, you are maybe just actually reading what I am saying. Not to mention I am having to spell every little thing out, just to get you to understand.

Yes, you can retire back to level 1. Yes allowing him to go back to the upkeep discount is fine. Why do you ask? Because this is a player that is already committed to the game. He isn't about to quit. He also can't do a lot of damage at level 1 even with the best gear/looms. Because he is level 1, you can't do jack, he will get destroyed. It's not a big deal, he isn't ruining it for anyone.

All this change would do, is help
NEW PEOPLE
in the game. Thus increasing(hopefully) the population of the game we all enjoy.