Author Topic: What is the point of upkeep?  (Read 11152 times)

Offline Shamlow

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: What is the point of upkeep?
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2012, 06:10:48 am »
I totally agree, but if upkeep really isn't a big deal then it shouldn't even be in the game.

Yes, more information would be great. Yes, streamlining the weapon/armor stats/info would be great. I don't see those things as being actual problems with the game though.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2012, 06:19:26 am »
+1
I totally agree, but if upkeep really isn't a big deal then it shouldn't even be in the game.

Yes, more information would be great. Yes, streamlining the weapon/armor stats/info would be great. I don't see those things as being actual problems with the game though.

It's hard to explain why upkeep is in the game to someone who didn't play before upkeep was introduced. The game was WAY different back then.

Right now it serves it's purpose. It basically keeps the game in a constant state of flux. If you are using really expensive equipment, you'll lose money. The only way to keep up with it is to either play the market, or to retire and sell loom points. When people retire, it gives them something to work towards. Upkeep was added to help mitigate boredom after playing for a really, really long time.

But it does serve it's purpose. It keeps the amount of high-level gear down.

Anyway, once you retire for the first time and sell your loom, you'll never have to worry about upkeep again, unless you buy lots of looms, or ride a plated charger wearing full plate.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline jogbog

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2012, 06:53:07 am »
+1
crpg: made by neckbeards, for neckbeards

Offline Shamlow

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2012, 06:58:33 am »
How does it mitigate boredom to high level players, when it's irrelevant to them?

It doesn't need to be in the game, if high level players need fucking upkeep to stay interested then this game fucking sucks.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 08:38:11 am by Shamlow »

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2012, 09:33:59 am »
There is tons of reasons to have money sinks. We actually need more money sinks (since there is an infinite amount of money in cRPG). Without it we'd have the old days where everyone and his mother was running around in Plate, an even more unfriendly environment for nubs. Upkeep does it job in keeping player gear somewhat low (and diverse), and that's all it's meant to do. 
Monkeys!

Offline Shamlow

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2012, 10:04:39 am »
Upkeep does it job in keeping player gear somewhat low (and diverse), and that's all it's meant to do. 

It only keeps the gear somewhat low for your new players. High level players have stated(in this thread) that it means nothing to them. Having 1 mil gold, makes upkeep points less. The only people you are impacting are the lower levels, probably only the first gens. Who are the key to making this game more popular.(maybe better?)

I don't see how all the high level players running around in plate is a problem? Have you tried playing your game all over as a level 1? I have, and I am level 20 and just played with a friend who is level 1. We went to a server to just 1v1 and he could hardly even do damage to me. By hardly, I mean he probably hit me 10+ times before I died. Not to mention he would hit me probably 10 more times along with that, and do zero damage. That's 20 hits to bring me down.

Now I understand he is level 1, but is that really the player you want to hinder anymore than that? Already new players are having to go up against people that are the equivalent to gods, you really should discourage them buy hitting them with a 5-600+ gold tab at the end of a round.

The fact that you don't have everyone wearing full plate now, has more to do with players making choices on who/how they play. If players migrate toward one set of items over and over, it's a balance issue 90% of the time. I'm not asking you to have a dedicated team to keeping shit balanced, I understand this is just a mod. Just throwing upkeep into a game like this for the reasoning of, "Oh, well this will give them X amount of more hours to get to the top before they get bored" is not the best reason.

If you are actively supporting this game,(which it seems you are) there are so many more ways about extending the life of the game. Instead of what you are now currently doing to it by killing it. By killing it I mean you are not increasing in a new/bigger playerbase.

I only say this, because I really like this game so far, and this mod seems to be the only one adding to it.

Offline Savior_of_Death

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • Infamy: 44
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Savior_of_Death
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2012, 10:57:20 am »
Honestly at this point upkeep should just be removed. It only hurts the newer players and is a reason why a lot of people will and have given up on this game.

The point of upkeep, is so that people can't just go around in full plate 24/7. BUT, at this point all of the veterans have more than enough money to in fact go around in full plate 24/7. It's as fucking flawed a system could ever possibly be.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:02:13 am by Savior_of_Death »

Offline Shamlow

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2012, 11:03:51 am »
Ya, that is what I'm trying to say.

Like I said, how is it a problem if everyone is running around in plate? You have to look at it from a game balancing point of view. Are they wearing it, because it's too strong? Are they wearing it, because they just want to?

Everyone just keeps calling me a fucking retard, or saying I'm raging. I'm trying to improve this mod, simply because I like and it's fun.

Offline Arathian

• Duke
  • Renown: 650
  • Infamy: 175
  • Pick it up you white ass cracka
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Frisians
  • Game nicks: Arathian, schizophrenic_axe_murderer
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2012, 11:25:49 am »
Ya, that is what I'm trying to say.

Like I said, how is it a problem if everyone is running around in plate? You have to look at it from a game balancing point of view. Are they wearing it, because it's too strong? Are they wearing it, because they just want to?

Everyone just keeps calling me a fucking retard, or saying I'm raging. I'm trying to improve this mod, simply because I like and it's fun.

your point is idiotic.

As Jacko said, repairs aren't the problem. The problem is that it isn't enough. We need more ways for the old guys to lose money, not for new guys to get as much money as the old guys.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2012, 11:29:25 am »
+1
Point of upkeep is to keep new players down so we the vets can steamroll you with better gear an force you to sell loompoints to try an keep up with us.
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Shamlow

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2012, 11:30:42 am »
No, you are a fucking moron. Why the fuck do you need money, why can't you just enjoy the game without some stupid grind that doesn't mean anything?

Do you not enjoy playing the game? If you need some idiotic grind to play a pvp game, then go play World of Warcraft.

I was addressing Arathain.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:32:53 am by Shamlow »

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2012, 11:41:36 am »
+4
The game is balanced around level 30's, not level ones, if you don't like the grind, just make an STF char instead. Of course a level one won't be able to hurt anyone, it's never been meant work that way (your're a peasant). There is actually huge differences in gear when skill is involved. The most minute difference in reach, speed and armor will make the difference in a fight.

That being said, armor is good. Perhaps even too good. High level armor is superior in big fights. It needs to be restricted with the current system (not only armor but horses, high level weapons, arrows and so on). We had everyone running around in the "best" gear, and it simply wasn't fun. Tincan xbow 2 handers comes to mind.

You retire and start at level 1 again, so yes, most people have played through the levels countless of times ('us' included). It's actually very nice and easy nowadays, much so then before, when we didn't have upkeep and restrictions.

Upkeep is primarily for decreasing money, not necessarily elongating the [grind] game (heirlooms do that). You can be extremely viable within the 'constraint' of upkeep.
Monkeys!

Offline POOPHAMMER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 328
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • yes thats me irl
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Barabe
  • Game nicks: POOPHAMMER
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2012, 12:15:50 pm »
+10
I can see it now

UPKEEP REMOVED!!!

*one day later*

CAN YOU GUYS FUCKING DO SOMETHING ABOUT ALL THESE FULL PLATE CAV PLAYERS RUNNING AROUND NONSTOP WITHOUT ANYTHING TO EVEN MAKE THEM THINK ABOUT STOPPING? ITS LIKE OLD CRPG ALL OVER AGAIN
Uther Pendragon: dont worry i wasnt planning on trusting you anyway

Offline bukva2

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2012, 07:18:16 pm »
Hm, lot of horses today...
How much does a horse cost for upkeep, is it even a viable option to use one and still earn money?

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2012, 07:21:25 pm »
Hm, lot of horses today...
How much does a horse cost for upkeep, is it even a viable option to use one and still earn money?

Yes. My melee alts wear a bit over 40K and they make money (slowly) in the long run. Horses are a bit over 20K-ish for the average mid-line ones like Destrier and such, add 9K for a lance and you can still wear viable armour with the left over money and know with even an average multi you can still break even.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.