Author Topic: What is the point of upkeep?  (Read 11138 times)

Offline Shamlow

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: What is the point of upkeep?
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2012, 08:53:30 pm »
And for the record, before the steam sale on warband, c-rpg was easily the most played multiplayer mod for warband, it far exceeded the people playing in the native mp servers.  A lot of c-rpg players are now playing mount and musket napoleon bullshit, so that's why it's not as populated.  A week ago the NA1 battle and NA2 siege server at peak times had 200 people playing (and the other NA c-rpg servers had anywhere from 20-60 people playing in them as well).  The EU servers were always full during peak times as well.  So that's 400-600 people playing during peak times.  The community is pretty damn good (number's wise) for warband.

Those are not great numbers, because you are losing and not gaining people. This isn't an mmo 60k people play, where you don't care if 1k people leave it everyday. Every person matters, and every new person REALLY matters.

Offline POOPHAMMER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 328
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • yes thats me irl
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Barabe
  • Game nicks: POOPHAMMER
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2012, 08:54:21 pm »
FYI just edit your post instead of replying 3 times in a row
Uther Pendragon: dont worry i wasnt planning on trusting you anyway

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2012, 08:54:46 pm »
You are making the point for me why, upkeep is bad. I don't understand how anything you said in that post makes sense to you.

Because you're only reading snippets of a post (read .  If you read every response to you in this thread you will see the flip side to your argument.  Everything has two sides, try playing devil's advocate and see if there could be a reason for something you disagree with.

The very next paragraph I explain my point of why upkeep isn't bad....

Considering the upkeep system has been in place for over a year, if it wasn't here, then you'd have people running around in the heaviest armor, and on the most expensive horses 24/7.  And then you'd have people in here bitching that there needs to be a way to limit what armor and equipment people can use. 

But you clearly can't be assed to actually read and comprehend someone's post, just pick and choose what you want to read.

Your ability to have a discussion reminds me of being in America in the lead-up to the Iraq war.  Everything that could help further the cause for war was trumpeted, while everything that showed that Iraq had no military capabilities or biological weapons was downplayed or ignored.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Shamlow

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2012, 08:57:33 pm »
Ok, I just did the math my gear=23052, I have peasant boots, my head costs 300, and I barely make money. Having to run around naked to make money is not game balance.

Offline POOPHAMMER

• King
  • yes thats me irl
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2012, 08:58:24 pm »
Ok, I just did the math my gear=23052, I have peasant boots, my head costs 300, and I barely make money. Having to run around naked to make money is not game balance.

You make it sound like every piece of gear breaks every round

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2012, 08:58:52 pm »
if you run around in gear that's worth about 20k (it tells you on the equipment page of the website) you should make some pretty good money.  You can't expect to make money if you're wearing "good" gear.  That's just the way the game works.  And if you want to find out why upkeep is in place, you need only read some of the posts in this thread to find out why. 

Also on the equipment page tells you what your max upkeep is for a round (if every piece of equipment gets hit with upkeep).  Besides weapons, your upkeep chance is 7% for every piece of equipment. 

I can have low to medium armor (and a bec de corbin weapon) and still have these stats:

Armor:
30h 33b 38l
2/4Slots
16,990 goldCost
1,188 goldUpkeep (max)

Upkeep isn't a bad thing, and it's not as brutal as you're making it out to be.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 09:02:47 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Shamlow

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2012, 09:01:10 pm »
No, clearly the problem is you are incapable of using your brain. Just because something has been done for x amount of time doesn't mean it's working. The statement I quoted has you contradicting the point you are trying to make. You said upkeep isn't bad, while telling me it is not relevant to TOP LEVEL PLAYERS(AKA THE PEOPLE YOU NEED TO BE HITTING WITH THE UPKEEP) so who does that leave to get penalized from the upkeep?

Offline POOPHAMMER

• King
  • yes thats me irl
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2012, 09:02:19 pm »
No, clearly the problem is you are incapable of using your brain. Just because something has been done for x amount of time doesn't mean it's working. The statement I quoted has you contradicting the point you are trying to make. You said upkeep isn't bad, while telling me it is not relevant to TOP LEVEL PLAYERS(AKA THE PEOPLE YOU NEED TO BE HITTING WITH THE UPKEEP) so who does that leave to get penalized from the upkeep?

Congrats, I just wrote you off as a moron

Offline Shamlow

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2012, 09:04:02 pm »
if you run around in gear that's worth about 20k (it tells you on the equipment page of the website) you should make some pretty good money.  You can't expect to make money if you're wearing "good" gear.  That's just the way the game works.  And if you want to find out why upkeep is in place, you need only read some of the posts in this thread to find out why. 

Also on the equipment page tells you what your max upkeep is for a round (if every piece of equipment gets hit with upkeep).  Besides weapons, your upkeep chance is 7% for every piece of equipment.

I have 20k gear, I'm barely breaking even. I'm not arguing that upkeep should be taken out of the game. I am saying if it is intended to "slow down" high level players or give them a "money sink" it should only hit HIGH LEVEL PLAYERS. Right now it doesn't hurt them AT ALL, and is mentioned OVER and OVER in this thread.

Offline Shamlow

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2012, 09:05:33 pm »
+3
Congrats, I just wrote you off as a moron
-POOPHAMMER

Offline POOPHAMMER

• King
  • yes thats me irl
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2012, 09:06:13 pm »
+1
-POOPHAMMER

Damn right I wrote that.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2012, 09:07:14 pm »
+1

I never said it wasn't relevant to the top level players.  I simply gave you a suggestion for making it so upkeep won't effect you so severely.  As a generation 8 player, money was always an issue for me in this game.  It limited what equipment I could use, and sometimes I had to play as a poor peasant footman (with about 15k gold worth of gear) to make money back (or until I retired that gen). 

People are giving you explanations why upkeep is in place, you're just choosing to not hear them.  Playing devil's advocate is a pretty easy skill to learn, just don't be an ignorant asshole who thinks everything needs to cater to themselves.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Shamlow

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2012, 09:07:27 pm »
Why again high level players arent hit by upkeep?

Go back, and read the thread. I'm not going to quote all the high level players that claim the upkeep they are hit with makes no difference because they have x amount of gold.

Offline POOPHAMMER

• King
  • yes thats me irl
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2012, 09:08:56 pm »
Go back, and read the thread. I'm not going to quote all the high level players that claim the upkeep they are hit with makes no difference because they have x amount of gold.

So just because most of us were able to manage our gold, not be an idiot with using too expensive gear, and grinded our ways to multiple generations to sell it for gold we damn well earned, you think we have to pay MORE?

(click to show/hide)

Offline Shamlow

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2012, 09:09:49 pm »
The upkeep isn't ridiculous.

when you retire at level 31 you can sell your loompoint for 600,000 gold or more (and still buy a +1 heirloomed item for less than 500k), make 100k profit and you don't have to worry about money much any more.