Poll

Who uses the Yumi?

I do and I love it!
I use it situationally.
I tried it and it sucked so I haven't used it since.
I looked at the stats and decided not to bother
What's a Yumi?

Author Topic: Who uses the Yumi?  (Read 6056 times)

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
Re: Who uses the Yumi?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 01:36:20 am »
I've tried the yumi however I don't really like it. It may be that I'm just so used to the rus bow but I've found myself using a nomad bow before I use a yumi(at least in strat battles). However there are members in Hospitaller that swear by the yumi. I guess it's just personal preference.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 01:37:21 am by Havoco »
Pock gobblers

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2012, 02:31:03 am »
Seems like its the bastard of the bows. Would take a serious weaboo to use it. Roleplaying a samurai and crap, cant see why anyone would take a yumi against a horn bow.
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline Ptolemy

• Weeaboo
  • Count
  • Renown: 257
  • Infamy: 182
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja
  • Game nicks: Nomin
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2012, 10:34:47 am »
Seems like its the bastard of the bows. Would take a serious weaboo to use it.

Exactly why I used it. I do miss it, if I'm honest, but it's just not good enough to hybrid with it.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2012, 11:05:38 am »
In my book of thought, yumi is in no comparision for the Long bow and Rus bow. If you have 6 PD, and you are a ground archer. Simply use Long bow or Rus bow.

So, this makes yumi a bow for Horse Archers, that it can be used on horseback, simply because Rus bow and Long bow can not be used from horseback. Also let's not forget Yumi is the bow of Yabusame (if I am not mistaken with the name). In other words Weaboo Horse Archers...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

So, a good horse archer with a possibly 18/18 build for level 30 has two options. Either go with a Horn bow or a Yumi (Tatar bow might be an option too). So let's compare these two:

Missile Speed: 39 - 35
Weight: 1.2 - 1.5
Accuracy: 97 - 100
Difficulty: 5 - 6
Speed Rating: 61 - 60
Damage: 24c - 26c
Slots: 1 - 1

To sum up our determiners:
-We have 6 PD. So requirement is not a factor.
-We are a horse archer. So we can come near to our enemies, and can quickly move out. Which makes shooting faster, less valuable.
-Weight is not important, because we are riding a horse.

So now, it's time to judge:
-Horn bow has better fire rate, better missile speed. It's also a bit more cheaper.
-Yumi has better accuracy, better damage.

Seems like a fair trade. But no. Things are a bit different. Let's look at the whole table:

We see here, as we go to left there is a change of 2cut damage between bows (except rus-long). Their fire rate also seem to decrease by 3, until horn bow. But, when we reach the gap between tatar and horn bow, it is 66 speed to 61 speed. Then in horn bow- Yumi it is 61 to 60. Meaning Yumi gains 2 more cut damage in exchange of 1 point fire rate! Of course now, there is the issue of missile speed of 35 which is even lower than the short bow (37). But a masterwork yumi has 38 missile speed, compared to the missile speed of masterwork horn bow (42). 38 missile speed is also equal to the missile speed of a regular tatar bow (38).

So the conclusion is, it's pure personal preference. It depends on if you want your arrows to move very fast, or move at a decent speed but deliver more damage when it hits. The reason we don't see many Yumi users is, however, there are not many horse archers to go with a 18/18 build. 3 horse archery is not enough, so they tend to go for 15/24, which leaves Horn bow as the only option available. Maybe tatar bow might be also nice, due to the high fire rate. But that's it. There's not much of a place for a Yumi. Yet, it is a good bow that has it's unique characteristics in my opinion.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 11:07:36 am by Ronin »
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Mr_Oujamaflip

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Ouj Reviews!
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2012, 01:29:49 pm »
To be fair, giving it 5 requirement and maybe nerfing it in some other place would be more desirable.

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2012, 01:33:14 pm »
+1
Yumi accuracy is stated higher on the website but afaik increasing power draw decreases one's accuracy so really the horn bow is more accurate with 5 pd than a Yumi with 6. IIRC

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2012, 02:50:19 pm »
To be fair, giving it 5 requirement and maybe nerfing it in some other place would be more desirable.
NO! Don't nerf it!
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2012, 03:22:36 pm »
Yumi accuracy is stated higher on the website but afaik increasing power draw decreases one's accuracy so really the horn bow is more accurate with 5 pd than a Yumi with 6. IIRC

With 6pd and 160+wpf - yumi has smaller spread than hornbow\rusbow\longbow

For what reason? No one use Bow and Short Bow too, let's nerf them too a bit.

It's not a problem of the bow, it's problem about lazy people, who do not want to do any experiments.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 03:26:36 pm by Cup1d »

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2012, 03:35:51 pm »
I am one of those who decided not to bother with this bow, at my own risk of missing something of course. Missisle speed is one of my highest priorities. If the short bow had the base missile speed of an arbalest Id probably use it non stop. But since this is not the case I stick to the longbow, even though I think I would be more effective with the rusbow, but I think its ugly.

Offline Ptolemy

• Weeaboo
  • Count
  • Renown: 257
  • Infamy: 182
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja
  • Game nicks: Nomin
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2012, 08:35:15 pm »
Yumi should be 5 PD. I'd be happy to use it then, as it is, I put up with it on my archer because it's a japanese bow.

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2012, 11:50:26 pm »
Maybe if they made the yumi 5pd then added the daikyu to be 6pd and unusable from horseback then I might wanna be a weeaboo.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 11:51:27 pm by Havoco »
Pock gobblers

Offline Vkvkvk

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2012, 04:13:59 am »
Maybe if they made the yumi 5pd then added the daikyu to be 6pd and unusable from horseback then I might wanna be a weeaboo.

I've always found the word Yumi in cRPG a bit redundant since it's just a way of saying Bow in Japanese, but I agree, they should probably rename the Yumi to Hankyu and lower it to 5 PD and add a Daikyu for 6 PD.

Offline Chestaclese

• Earl
  • Renown: 340
  • Infamy: 106
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2012, 11:36:59 pm »
I used the yumi and will again. Once I masterwork my yumi, it's +2 atm, it will have the power of the a longbow but be much faster and only take one slot. I felt it was the best bow to loom because of it's combination of speed and power.
"Threatening Chesty with tea bagging is clearly not worth the effort. It is like offering sex addict an orgy." - BaleofGay.

"ILL OPEN MY GIFTS LATER MOM, IM BUSY FIGHTING CHESTACLES IN AN ONLINE HORSE SIMULATOR GAME." - Oprah Winafrey

“He's using everything he can to get me banned, admins please don't let him get away with this. He's ban baiting me, please help.” - Ducky_The_Banned

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2012, 11:53:59 pm »
And I am buying 3 loompoints in a row, just to have this awesome bow. In case you will not sell your yumi to me of course :P

Offline Mr_Oujamaflip

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Ouj Reviews!
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2012, 09:19:51 pm »
Well I say 5PD cos then it's more viable for horse archers but as a foot bow it's not that bad so I wouldn't want it overpowered.

I also like the Daikyu idea.