Author Topic: New Polearm: Naginata  (Read 7288 times)

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
New Polearm: Naginata
« on: March 16, 2011, 10:10:38 pm »
+1
For the Japanese enthusiasts out there I propose we add the naginata to our list of cRPG polearms.  It was a common weapon for Samurai to use and is still practiced for sport today.  The size of actual naginata depend on the user, usually being a bit taller than the wielder.  Mostly used as an anti-katana weapon, the naginata is best used for keeping opponents at bay and for having an exceptionally flexible defensive technique.  Traditionally, samurai-class women would train with the weapon and use it to protect their homes and families while their husbands went off to war.  If you google the naginata you'll get a lot of peculiar forms of it, as it is quite a diverse weapon.  The weapon is most similar to a cRPG "hafted blade."

Features:
- very quick with a powerful cut if it hits semi-exposed flesh
- the staff part of the weapon is made from hardwood.  This is in contrast to other flimsier-type bamboo polearms which are easier to mass-produce.  The staff is hard enough that, when used effectively, it can trip very heavy/armoured standing opponents.
- both ends are used actively, though the blade is always the killing end
- to be used effectively the naginata-warrior requires some space to move and retreat.  Many of the most deadly strikes are predicated on having an aggressive opponent.
- the weapon is very rarely used to stab

(click to show/hide)

Here's a video of it being done for sport today (it's a bit odd to watch, but try to look at their stances and how fast they move): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8J_IkuUbak

It's a cool weapon.  I tried it as a martial art for a while and it was quite fun and interesting to see how flexible the style is.  It's quite similar to the hafted blade and it may not be worth skinning and implementing if people don't like the difference.  My hope, even if people don't want it as a new weapon, is that a naginata could replace the rather boring looking hafted blade model. 

NOTES:
- Though I've some experience with it I'm a far cry from having the expertise I'm sure some of the Shogunate people have.  If you have very detailed questions they'd probably be better at answering them than me. 
- The weapon is also goes by the name "najinta."
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 10:20:11 pm by Diomedes »

Offline Welcome_To_Hell

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: nK / Northern Empire
Re: New Polearm: Naginata
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 10:17:40 pm »
Hafted blade is pretty much Naginata.

Offline Sammael

• Knight
  • Renown: 32
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SammaeI
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 11:14:04 pm »
I have to agree, I think this niche is already fulfilled with the hafted blade.

Edit: Read the rest of the post  :oops: I'd fully support a re-texturing to give it a more Japanese style.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 11:15:30 pm by Sammael »

Offline Grey

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
  • Hope you like arrows...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: -
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 11:22:42 pm »
Yah I have always thought the hafted blade WAS a naginata....Its used in native by the eastern kingdoms (Khanate), and I thought everyone just kind of took it as read that Hafted Blade IS the only bladed polearm for ninja and samurai oriented characters.....Would love to see fancy skins on it tho....
Bamboo Bundle Bowman: 90'' draw, groups at 200 yards.

Offline Huey Newton

• Duke
  • Renown: 555
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Huey_Newton
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 11:39:28 pm »
gorath already made one but it was lost in the flood of atlanits...
we could make another one i suppose

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 01:31:04 am »
Long hafted blade looks like a butter knife on a stick while the Naginata looks like a katana on a stick, though I think LHB is pretty much a naginata, just with a different model, I couldn't see how we could make a unique naginata with unique stats with the LHB around.

Offline AdNecrias

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Enuma Elish, Thar the Unready
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 03:29:25 am »
Long hafted blade looks like a butter knife on a stick while the Naginata looks like a katana on a stick, though I think LHB is pretty much a naginata, just with a different model, I couldn't see how we could make a unique naginata with unique stats with the LHB around.

All the khergit weapons you've got ingame are Mongol. Even China and Korea used different gear, and as you'd imagine Japan differs a bit from even these last two.
A Naginata would look like a straight katana with a ridicously stretched hilt. Would probably be slightly longer and, specially following the katana trend in cRPG have a faster speed, rather low cut damage and near non existing thrust damage. 'course in reality it was used as a thrusting weapon on horse but why make it differ from the other japanese gear... we wouldn't want ninjas to have an anti-armour weapon.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 03:41:17 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-b6QeDRRsk

Watch it on highest res and fullscreen.  The Total War crew used limited animations but it's a nice watch regardless.

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 04:21:29 am »
+1
All the khergit weapons you've got ingame are Mongol. Even China and Korea used different gear, and as you'd imagine Japan differs a bit from even these last two.
A Naginata would look like a straight katana with a ridicously stretched hilt. Would probably be slightly longer and, specially following the katana trend in cRPG have a faster speed, rather low cut damage and near non existing thrust damage. 'course in reality it was used as a thrusting weapon on horse but why make it differ from the other japanese gear... we wouldn't want ninjas to have an anti-armour weapon.

But I don't want a faster LHB with even more backpedal spamming capability :(

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2011, 04:57:51 am »
If it were to be a new model it would likely not have [lol]stab.  The question then is choosing amongst speed, length, and damage. 

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2011, 07:21:06 am »
Katanas, No Dachi, Waksiaskaksakisishzi, hafted blades, that studded club thingy and you managed to whine yourself into 2 new armours aswell... When the flying fuck is enough enough?

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2011, 08:06:25 am »
+1
Katanas, No Dachi, Waksiaskaksakisishzi, hafted blades, that studded club thingy and you managed to whine yourself into 2 new armours aswell... When the flying fuck is enough enough?
I  ask this question  myself from time to time while reading your messages Sieem.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 08:12:59 am »
Please add a shepherd's cane as a weapon.
And a lollipop.

More power to the peasants!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 08:14:25 am by Vibe »

Offline LordRichrich

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 115
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 08:59:45 am »
+1
I will only support Ninja/Eastern/Oriental gear when you bloody clans start playing by your bloody equipment gear.
Take Georges for example. He's a Shogunate or something yet runs round in western plate and a giant 2h
Many "ninjas" use the llamaer shit with staright swords. What's the point of being in these Ninja clans if you're not gonna use the gear we have for it in the mod?
And then there's the bloody Western Knights that use the Nodachi and stuff.
Pointless
I wish to be a game admin. I will kick people for having stupid equipment layouts. I AM going to be the fashion god of cRPG!
No you MUST wear leg armours, ffs it looks stupid.
The hand armour you wear MUST match your body armour (pretty easy, though making some black leather gloves would please the ninjas I imagine)
No armour a different culture to weaponry
Hm, no different armour styles (so body armour and head armour different)
It's really simple.
When I see someone who looks stupid it makes me mad. Very very mad.
And sometimes they might be on my team. Sometimes I accidently hit them. Accidently

Offline MrExxc

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • Don't pronounce it "EKsKsSee", just "X"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Exxc, Poussiere_Supreme
  • IRC nick: Exxc
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 10:00:12 am »
+1
+1
I will only support Ninja/Eastern/Oriental gear when you bloody clans start playing by your bloody equipment gear.
Take Georges for example. He's a Shogunate or something yet runs round in western plate and a giant 2h
Many "ninjas" use the llamaer shit with staright swords. What's the point of being in these Ninja clans if you're not gonna use the gear we have for it in the mod?
And then there's the bloody Western Knights that use the Nodachi and stuff.
Pointless
I wish to be a game admin. I will kick people for having stupid equipment layouts. I AM going to be the fashion god of cRPG!
No you MUST wear leg armours, ffs it looks stupid.
The hand armour you wear MUST match your body armour (pretty easy, though making some black leather gloves would please the ninjas I imagine)
No armour a different culture to weaponry
Hm, no different armour styles (so body armour and head armour different)
It's really simple.
When I see someone who looks stupid it makes me mad. Very very mad.
And sometimes they might be on my team. Sometimes I accidently hit them. Accidently

Dude, I can not agree with you, if the shoguns or ninja's don't have any problem with it in their board, then why the hell can't they wear what they want now and then? Maybe Georges has an RP that he went on a crusade and brought back western gear :D
I do hate when people have multicultural outfits, because it just doesn't look that nice in game, but still no reason to be nazying about it.
--------------------------
I'm personally not to much into the eastern culture and stuff, but even if I like some ideas, I really don't feel like this one is particularly needed. Some other weapon or gear suggestions seem more relevant to my eyes, replace or add the strange armor layouts first, then we'll see. (http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,1063.0.html)