Author Topic: Tips for 1 handed/shield fighting?  (Read 17585 times)

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • Renown: 454
  • Infamy: 367
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard, ex Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Mlekce, Sergius
  • IRC nick: Mlekce
Re: Tips for 1 handed/shield fighting?
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2012, 02:07:37 am »
if you ever got chance to buy some loomed armor buy light kuyak or mongol armor,that light armors are crap.

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Callahan9119
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2012, 02:14:46 am »
if you ever got chance to buy some loomed armor buy light kuyak or mongol armor,that light armors are crap.

That has just a couple more points than what I have...
Hello

Offline To Kill A Dead Horse

• Count
  • Renown: 173
  • Infamy: 34
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • May be insane
    • View Profile
  • Faction: (Former) The Black Guard, (Current) Swiss AoW
  • Game nicks: To_Kill_A_Dead_Horse, GaugofWar
  • IRC nick: TKADH
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2012, 02:39:50 am »
I would say use a 12/24 or related build, and use a fighting axe/ long dagger combo for weapons. It worked for my STF.

I think throwing is the least thing you should be focusing on, since in singleplayer they are useless that you have no experience with them. Horseback throwing is the hardest thing in mount&blade. In cRPG, it is most likely underpowered even.

Well, throwing is a hard thing to do. Unless you are planning to utilize from some cowardly/lucky kills from throwing I would tell you to skip it.
Since I am a pure thrower with 9 PT all my killz result from skillz, though luck is a factor.
Throwing is pretty easy once you know the tradjectory and velocity. Its pretty useful when trying to gain distance on people (archers for instance) who are faster than you and also when you want to soften the enemy before engaging in melee.
And horseback throwing is as broken as dagger cav atm.
Quote from: Baggy
If your going to be staring at your characters ass in game all day it might as well be a female one.
[21:08:47] Downloading Textures/this_is_how_children_see_gnjus_norm.dds

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2012, 08:07:40 pm »
1. How do you use throwing weapons in melee?

2. Does power throw add to thrown damage?

3. Does anybody know how to destroy an item in the crpg site? I don't want a lot of the cheap garbage I started with/bought early and it's cluttering up my inventory.
Hello

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2012, 08:14:58 pm »
+1
1. How do you use throwing weapons in melee?

2. Does power throw add to thrown damage?

3. Does anybody know how to destroy an item in the crpg site? I don't want a lot of the cheap garbage I started with/bought early and it's cluttering up my inventory.

1)  Press X to change weapon mode, should be listed in options>controls

2)  Yes, powerthrow adds 10% dmg per point

3)  Just sell the item

Equipment tab > inventory from left sidebar > click on button with coin $$ amount for item you want to sell

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2012, 08:20:32 pm »
Thanks again.
Hello

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2012, 08:24:51 pm »
+1
oh, forgot to mention there is a slight delay when you switch weapon modes.  Forgot the excuse devs gave as to why it was there, but it will often get you killed a thrower when you press the button and nothing happens

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2012, 09:49:11 pm »
I would say use a 12/24 or related build, and use a fighting axe/ long dagger combo for weapons. It worked for my STF.
Since I am a pure thrower with 9 PT all my killz result from skillz, though luck is a factor.
Throwing is pretty easy once you know the tradjectory and velocity. Its pretty useful when trying to gain distance on people (archers for instance) who are faster than you and also when you want to soften the enemy before engaging in melee.
And horseback throwing is as broken as dagger cav atm.
I think you got me wrong. I do not mean throwing is luck based. It's just that callahan seems like a newbie player and since he is most likely to be beaten on melee, and since there is no such way he would be really good at throwing; but since it is still possible for him to get some lucky shots from throwing I called it lucky kills :)
In singleplayer warband, throwing is the least useful way of killing your enemies. That's why callahan is most likely unexperienced in that.

I am a thrower this gen, and I am pretty good at it also. I would like to make a throwing duel with you someday, before I retire :D
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2012, 09:52:14 pm »
At this point I'll take lucky kills...they seem to be the only kills coming my way. I've never stuck with a game so long that has done nothing but frustrate and confound me.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 09:54:03 pm by callahan9119 »
Hello

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2012, 10:10:33 pm »
Keep practising and don't feel bad about not doing so well. For me the learning experience was fun as long as you can see where you went wrong and then see some improvement as you play. Being able to say "damn I failed that block", or "overextended", "wrong attack direction", "didn't hold the block until it hit", "got feinted and missed a block", "wasn't aware of players around me", "didn't retreat when outnumbered", "tried to solo the wrong guy". If you can't really analyse where you go wrong it will lead to frustration, just need more experience really and you will start getting some kills. Go on the duel server for practice but try to duel people who aren't high on the scoreboard. You will get better with the actual mechanics in duel but need to play battle to get better at playing that. 1 point of athletics is worth much more than the 2 hp btw, especially when you have a shield

Get to lvl 30 with your complete build and then you will at least have a character on a similar level to others. Going hybrid means you are weaker while levelling than pure builds, and still not quite 100% as good as a dedicated build. Its all down to what you enjoy though, if you enjoy the playstyle then its good enough

When you get to 31 retire and sell your loom point. You should hopefully then have enough for a +3 heirloomed item with your 1mil you got. I would get gloves, body armour or a shield. You get like -10 body armour as a new player compared to people with heirlooms
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 10:13:47 pm by Grumbs »
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2012, 10:15:00 pm »
Going hybrid means you are weaker while levelling than pure builds, and still not quite 100% as good as a dedicated build. Its all down to what you enjoy though, if you enjoy the playstyle then its good enough

I could get more kills just by going two handed and spamming...I'd still die a lot because my blocking sucks but I got cheap kills. I just don't like playing like that. The satisfaction of putting a javelin in someone's face and watching em crumble is so much more rewarding, at least for me.
Hello

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2012, 10:26:28 pm »
Yes throwing is extremely satisfying, so much fun bringing down charging horses, cowardly archers, or rampaging 2h heroes. Keep practicing at it.

1h/shield is not about dueling or one shotting people (though you can, especially with a nasty close range weapon like a broad 1h battle axe or steel pick), the major satisfaction of this class a much greater ability to fight off multiple opponents. It becomes a chess-like match where you use your shield to bide your time, and position yourself to open opportunities to strike.

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2012, 10:31:35 pm »
1h/shield is not about dueling or one shotting people (though you can, especially with a nasty close range weapon like a broad 1h battle axe or steel pick), the major satisfaction of this class a much greater ability to fight off multiple opponents. It becomes a chess-like match where you use your shield to bide your time, and position yourself to open opportunities to strike.

Yeah, that's something I'm slowly realizing...my situational awareness sucks. It will start off an even 12 vs 12 mini battle and I'll be fighting off two guys and the next thing I know all my teammates are dead or running for their lives and I'm surrounded by 10 angry dudes with mauls and shit pounding my head into mush.

If I'm using my broad battle ax and put away my shield, does it then use two handed skill, which I have 0 of? It says secondary mode, not sure what that means.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 10:35:02 pm by callahan9119 »
Hello

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2012, 10:50:53 pm »
+1
If I'm using my broad battle ax and put away my shield, does it then use two handed skill, which I have 0 of? It says secondary mode, not sure what that means.

Still uses 1h wpf. It's secondary mode changes it to it's spikey bit, turning it into a pierce weapon.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2012, 11:02:09 pm »
Thank you.
Hello