Author Topic: increase kick risk  (Read 13370 times)

Offline Felix

• Baron
  • Renown: 89
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Red_Pike/Oriental_Red
Re: increase kick risk
« Reply #135 on: August 15, 2012, 11:43:18 am »
Chamber kicks? I say, add low kicks and high kicks.  :mrgreen:

(click to show/hide)

Offline DaveUKR

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 242
  • cRPG Player
  • Small rain lays great dust
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 15, 2012, 11:52:07 am »
Maybe it's better not to add chamber kicks but add a knockdown chance for those who get hit while kicking? That would be more reliable.

Offline Knitler

• Earl
  • Renown: 456
  • Infamy: 91
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Worlds Cutest Dictator
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 15, 2012, 12:39:59 pm »
About kicks and thrusts.

1) Currently it's way easy to use kicks. It took a couple of days for me (last year) to get used to them and kick pretty much everyone but then I've changed my build with more crossbow wpf and less melee wpf so kick didn't give me that big advantage (most of the kicks didn't give me enough time to land a hit with my low wpf and short weapon so my enemies blocked attacks) and I've stopped using them here and there. But still it's a fact that it's easy to get used to kicks.

2) Thrusts can counter kicks sometimes. It is true, but not all weapons have thrusts plus there is not a big window of time you can use a thrust. And this thrust stun... Hearst abuses kicks and thrust stun much more than everyone else. If he misses a kick and I make a thrust, it's more likely that he will block it and I will get hit by swing of his sword while being stunned, that's why I prefer to evade kicks and make side swings from behind. But this works 1/4 of the times and only because I have high athletics.

3) You already can't block while kicking in beta client so the issue is mostly solved.

Why i get nerfed every update?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 12:52:41 pm by Knitler »
(click to show/hide)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 765
  • Infamy: 1970
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 15, 2012, 01:02:20 pm »
Best would be to make it high risk/high reward move. If you successfully kick someone and then hit him, you'll deal so much damage enough to kill anyone. On the other hand, if your target avoid kick you shouldn't be able to block at all, and if he hits you, you're going to die instantly. This will lead to a lot less kicking, actually people will use kick only in narrow spaces like it should be used.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #139 on: August 15, 2012, 01:34:49 pm »
TBH anticipating a kick ain't that hard, I love jumping over kicks then watching as the guy thinks I'll be stunned and tries to swing at me.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline EyeBeat

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 175
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 20th BEST PLAYER IN HOSPITALLER
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: EyeBeat_The_Wanderer
  • IRC nick: EyeBeat
« Reply #140 on: August 15, 2012, 02:42:40 pm »
+1
Besides sometimes I get a kick landed on me even after my hit lands on them first.

Please figure this out.

The chamber kicks with kicks is kind of a bad idea.  Make it so if you manual block during a kick you have a 50/50 chance of being knocked down.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Being a smallish community doesn't entitle you to act more like a dick than other communities.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #141 on: August 15, 2012, 03:08:22 pm »
Why is chamberkick a bad idea? And why is RNG better?

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #142 on: August 15, 2012, 03:13:31 pm »
Why is chamberkick a bad idea? And why is RNG better?
The issue I have with chamberkicking (if it really is impossible to pull off reflexively), is that predicting kicks is only really an option in a duel setting, where you have time to learn the style of an opponent over the course of several fights. At least, that has been my experience with it.

Any sort of chance based system would be awful, though.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 15, 2012, 03:25:33 pm »
+2
It's not impossible to do it via reflex. It's just kinda hard in a fight. It needs a mix of reaction and anticipation, so it will allow to punish those who add a kick at the end of each attack sequence while an occational well timed kick stays dangerous. As it should be.

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #144 on: August 15, 2012, 03:32:53 pm »
The issue I have with chamberkicking (if it really is impossible to pull off reflexively), is that predicting kicks is only really an option in a duel setting, where you have time to learn the style of an opponent over the course of several fights. At least, that has been my experience with it.
Well, if you predict wrong you'd still probably kick your opponent. Chamber kicking sounds like an awesome feature and I'd love for it to be added, also, seeing as I often jump over kicks in duels with people I've never battled against before I'd hardly say anticipating a kick is 100% impossible, just slightly hard.
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #145 on: August 15, 2012, 03:34:23 pm »
Hmm was kicking changed somehow "recently"? Maybe its just me not dueling enough nowadays but I could have sworn kicking after swings was changed. I have to wait till the end of the swing animation to start the following kick.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Knitler

• Earl
  • Renown: 456
  • Infamy: 91
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Worlds Cutest Dictator
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 15, 2012, 04:05:17 pm »
Besides sometimes I get a kick landed on me even after my hit lands on them first.

Please figure this out.

The chamber kicks with kicks is kind of a bad idea.  Make it so if you manual block during a kick you have a 50/50 chance of being knocked down.

Yes youre right i hate it when i kick but at the same time i get slashed in my head so its a Status-Quo situation where i got dmg. Either i hit first and stun him or he hits me first and theres no kick - i just get dmg.
(click to show/hide)

Offline DaveUKR

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 15, 2012, 04:15:06 pm »
It's not impossible to do it via reflex. It's just kinda hard in a fight. It needs a mix of reaction and anticipation, so it will allow to punish those who add a kick at the end of each attack sequence while an occational well timed kick stays dangerous. As it should be.

Can you implement it so we can test it before discussing? you know, this should be tested before.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 15, 2012, 04:16:23 pm »
I already tested it with Tydeus and Kafein.

Offline DaveUKR

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 15, 2012, 04:19:00 pm »
I already tested it with Tydeus and Kafein.

And they say nothing  :| Can you organize one more test? So more players can try it?