Poll

for cRPG 2, what time period / cultural variety would you prefer ?

same as now in cRPG 1
26 (9.8%)
same as now in cRPG 1, but with even more stretching of boundaries (reneissance/roman gear)
42 (15.8%)
Medieval period, European cultures ONLY
35 (13.2%)
Medieval period, ~the same variety like in M2:TW or Crusader Kings
66 (24.9%)
period of Rome : Total War
21 (7.9%)
Reneissance period strictly
7 (2.6%)
Medieval Period, concentrated on the Asian countries and wars
8 (3%)
No Limits and boundaries whatsoever , the more variety the better
50 (18.9%)
Something else
10 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 265

Voting closed: May 30, 2012, 10:52:29 am

Author Topic: cRPG 2 : what setting would you prefer ?  (Read 5050 times)

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
cRPG 2 : what setting would you prefer ?
« on: March 31, 2012, 10:52:29 am »
+7
Hi. I think this could become a rather interesting discussion that can go on for quite some time . Obviously it's all in theory as we don't know for sure if there will ever be MnB 2 (projects and studios can get cancelled these days)  or cRPG 2.

Personally, as much as i love variety and different cultures ( i.e. japanese, chinese etc) i think after all i'd love to see the new cRPG in a more or less strict setting, taking Medieval 2 :Total War as an example (or Crusader Kings). So~ 10-15th century, covering most of the known world of that time (muslims of middle east,spain and north africa, pagan nomads, byzantines, europeans, russia) with the exception perhaps of India, China-Korea and Japan (different theatres of warfare, except for maybe their relations with the Mongols) , basically just look at the maps of Crusader Kings or M2:TW.

I think that kind of setting will provide more than enough variety in gear and cultures to pick without making it look too chaotic and surrealistic , like some kind of a Deadliest Warrior parody.

Now don't get me wrong , i'd love to use a nodachi or play as a legionairee from time to time, but i'd rather wait to do it in some other great mods .

So what do you think ?

Offline Ganner

• Duke
  • Renown: 553
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The other white meat
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Ganner_of_Chaos
Re: cRPG 2 : what setting would you prefer ?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 10:58:06 am »
+4
Honestly I would prefer a more western euro specific mod.  When I picture a game about knights, heraldry, kings, intrigue, and empires I think England, France, Italy, and Germany.

Sure the crusades had is fair share of the history but im looking for something in 100 years war era.

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 11:10:43 am »
+4
Honestly I would prefer a more western euro specific mod.  When I picture a game about knights, heraldry, kings, intrigue, and empires I think England, France, Italy, and Germany.

At least add countries like Hungary and Poland to that list then . And why forget the reconquista in Spain ? =)

Offline Thanatos

• Noble
  • Renown: 22
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 11:44:38 am »
+1
I'd rather have Western European conflicts seperated from Eastern European conflicts.

The Hundred Years War
The Reconquista
The Italian States fighting each other

etc...

Offline Darkoveride

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
  • Steppe armor best armor
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans.
  • Game nicks: GK_Darko, Commissar Darko
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 11:48:12 am »
You cant leave out us mongols, what would this game be like without GK bumping everything.

*Ready for the flaming*  :lol:
BUBASTAN FOR LIFE

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 11:56:53 am »
there was much more going on than just the crusades east of europe.  would be sad leaving that out.
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Materia

• Baron
  • Renown: 86
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Racist, and such.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Boxxy's Army
  • Game nicks: Materia, Boxxys_minion
  • IRC nick: -
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 12:03:32 pm »
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 12:05:12 pm by Materia »
+100% for being "racist retard". You rather be safe racist in your country, than dead French bundle of sticks under the truck wheels, blown to pieces by a bomb, or shot in your own country, by so called "refugees". Lewak logic. Youll all die, sooner or later :). Enemy of my enemy, is my friend. Muslims will deal with you, go use the power of crayons do defend yourself.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 12:06:50 pm »
This mod would lose a shit load of items if the setting would be limited to Medieval Europe only. I would still like it though, get a more realistic look to the game. We would just have to make more items, but that is a slow process so far. The dev team should get a hold of a good modeller themselves instead of having to rely on the community or OSP's.

I think only the western countries would be too limited. The Spanish kings, which I consider western did fight muslims and Poland, also a western country in my book, had conflicts with the more eastern countries. Would be a grave injustice to leave them out, while they were quite important in the Middle Ages. So yes, the Medieval Total War idea. All those nations can be considered the same theatre of war. Whereas China is a totally different theatre of war.

But even a strict medieval Europe setting poses some problems. Should you leave Vikings in? 11th century Vikings fighting 15th centure knights never happened. Its difficult to determine where to draw a line.

Still, I would like to see Renaissance time period, cause that was stylish and awesome. Then you can hardly leave gunpowder out, which I wouldn't mind, but the dev team probably will.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 12:09:05 pm by SgtTeeh »

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 12:07:08 pm »
+16
Medieval Period, concentrated on the Asian countries and wars. -> with main focus on Japan.

Agreed. The lack of katana diversity is something that bugged me for a long time.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 12:08:32 pm »
Fuck Japan, Shogun 2 already showed me how boring that was. The Chinese and surrounding countries would be cool.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 12:18:23 pm »
+3
Aztec vs Conquistador, fuck yeah.

Offline Wiltzu

• Sceptical
  • Duke
  • Renown: 665
  • Infamy: 231
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
  • Game nicks: Kalmarin_Wiltzu
  • IRC nick: Wiltzu
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 12:25:16 pm »
+2
Give nights, vikings, eastern stuff, asian stuff, arabic stuff.

No need to just have pure something
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 12:26:57 pm by Wiltzu »
When in Rome, live as the Romans do; when elsewhere, live as they live elsewhere.

Kaikki on tasa-arvoisia. Toiset on vain tasa-arvoisempia kuin toiset.

Offline Polobow

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoA
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 12:32:21 pm »
As much as i prefer a medieval-era only in the europe lands, i prefer having no limits to cultures. Having alot of armors and items appeal to more people than if we only had 1 culture. F.e., when some people wanted to remove the ninja gear. People hated it, but also some people would leave if they couldn't use their Ninjas gear anymore. I prefer player population over my own perfect idea of aesthetics.

Offline ThePoopy

• Earl
  • Renown: 411
  • Infamy: 56
  • .l..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: PolePoop
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 12:35:57 pm »
+1
since everyone are so obsessed with str stacking it should be india
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy09cXwsz6w

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 12:47:27 pm »
+5
As much variety as possible. The only japanese thingy that's missing is a naginata, but that can be compensated somewhat with hafted blades and/or military scythe, so I'm not too worried about that. What I would like to see is the inclusion of indian, chinese, afghan, african tribal and much more.

And in strat the crafting of different items would take place in different areas of the map. So if you want asian gear, you have to go to an "asian" region.

This would hopefully lead to the larger factions fighting over the european/arabian regions, since they are the most popular culture and has the best gear and variation in gear. The smaller factions would have to settle with lesser regions with worse equipment and/or variation like africa, japan, india etc. The regions should be relatively far away from eachother to discourage factions leaving their preferred zones to muck up with the smaller clans. And if it leads to one clan controlling one region, then at least it'll look hilarious when the large clans start trying to conquer new regions.

I find current strategus to be horribly uninteresting due to smaller clans not being able to participate in any meaningful way. My idea would also lead to interesting cultures clashing together instead of watching everyone in kuyaks or the different coloured mail jackets duke it out.

This would hopefully make it possible for clans(like ninjas) fight in strategus with our style, without getting steamrolled by shielders and heavy armour and cavalry.  :wink:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 12:52:52 pm by Ninja_Khorin »