Author Topic: Why is my One Handed so slow?  (Read 10008 times)

Offline enigmatic_stranger

• King
  • Renown: 1118
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Why is my One Handed so slow?
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2012, 08:17:05 pm »
1h left swing can be very fast. Footwork do the trick...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eso06QNS4e8&feature=player_detailpage#t=15s

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2012, 09:50:06 pm »
I wouldn't say that. A newbie shielder is easily the least dangerous class in the game. Most of those can't even return attacks and mostly just get in the way of their allies, being more of a burden than a boon to their team. A newbie 2her can jump into a clusterfuck and hit stuff for lots of damage.

I would disagree, even if they dont do much damage they can contribute more than some noob 2h who is teamhitting allies in large melee's or dies in 1 hit because he cant block.  With shield you can serve as a distraction, box/pin people in for allies to kill and be that annoying zombie that wont die until you get the time to lurch forward and take a bite.

Offline Fazar

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2012, 08:22:33 pm »
Level 24 now, and starting to actually contribute.  The left swing thing I never knew about and has helped me the most so far.  I still get rocked by most people, but I get the occasional archer kill, or lucky kill on some person I believe to be 30.

I made the mistake of throwing some points into throwing which Im regretting now, hoping I had thrown that all into one handed more.  Got like 129 weapon proficiency, and still wear light armour/lightshield.  Been trying the Italian sword now instead of the Nordic Short.  It's not as bad as it was when I started, but I think Im going to try two hander next Gen.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2012, 08:38:18 pm »
Watch out for when you want to right swing.

Speed, low range: left-swing
Decent speed and range: overhead (prone to miss at times)
Range, low speed: right-swing (prone to glance at times if the opponent moves to your right at a bad angle)

Stabs take practice, but the best users make the stab look fast and with quite a bit of range such as Saul or Kartoffelin(sp?), although chances of messing up are fairly high.

If you're a little and you do right swing, don't move forward but strafe left. That usually helped me more often than not.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2012, 07:39:41 pm »
Level 24 now, and starting to actually contribute.  The left swing thing I never knew about and has helped me the most so far.  I still get rocked by most people, but I get the occasional archer kill, or lucky kill on some person I believe to be 30.

I made the mistake of throwing some points into throwing which Im regretting now, hoping I had thrown that all into one handed more.  Got like 129 weapon proficiency, and still wear light armour/lightshield.  Been trying the Italian sword now instead of the Nordic Short.  It's not as bad as it was when I started, but I think Im going to try two hander next Gen.

129 is pretty damn good actually.  I'm a polearm/1h hybrid and I leave my 1h at 100 and I still do very good with it when I'm using my shield.  Stick with it, my first generation I went 253 deaths before getting a kill, now when I start my new gens I usually have a kill by turn 15 (and more importantly I actually feel useful), and I had a c-rpg veteran guiding me the whole way...Next gen I'd suggest using a pitch fork until you can wield a boar spear and just poke people when you can to interrupt their timing for teammates (and you can rear horses too).  You don't even necessarily need to put WPF into polearms to still be useful early on.  And since these weapons have pierce damage you being really weak means you can still do some damage to people.

If you can, try to befriend someone in game, or better yet, befriend someone in a faction, ask if you can hang in their team speak or ventrilo and when you have questions you can just ask.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2012, 08:36:19 pm »
Stick with it, my first generation I went 253 deaths before getting a kill
Hmm, lets see. 253 deaths is 253 rounds, let's say the average round takes 4 minutes. That is 1012 minutes or 16,9 hours of gameplay without a kill. With an average multiplier of 2 that brings you at level 26.

That long until your first kill is not really normal.

Ontopic: 129 wpf is fine, that should not be the problem. The combat system is hard to learn and has a quite a bit of things you need to know. I can really recommend that you join a clan, they can show you the ropes a lot faster and you can ask questions. Being in a clan enhances the game anyway.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2012, 09:34:35 pm »
Hmm, lets see. 253 deaths is 253 rounds, let's say the average round takes 4 minutes. That is 1012 minutes or 16,9 hours of gameplay without a kill. With an average multiplier of 2 that brings you at level 26.

That long until your first kill is not really normal.

I didn't say it was normal.  And I'm pretty sure I played a lot of siege early on.  I can tell you I for sure wasn't level 26.  I believe it was level 20 or 22.  My point wasn't that it was normal, my point was that it was horrible, but I've grown into what I consider a pretty good player.  My 2nd point was that it still took me 253 deaths before a kill and I had my bro helping me with my build and gear (who is a veteran crpg player), so I wasn't coming in completely blind.  I also was saving money for a cavalry build, so I'm sure I was using a pitch fork for a lot of my early levels.

The point was to indicate how hard it can be to get accustomed to C-rpg, even if you have someone walking you through how it works. 

Once you get over the initial learning curve it's exponentially easier. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 09:35:55 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2012, 10:03:22 pm »
+3
I wouldn't say that. A newbie shielder is easily the least dangerous class in the game. Most of those can't even return attacks and mostly just get in the way of their allies, being more of a burden than a boon to their team. A newbie 2her can jump into a clusterfuck and hit stuff for lots of damage.

Yep. Newbie shielders are the easiest to spam and kill. And then they think the game's broken.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2012, 10:17:18 pm »
Yep. Newbie shielders are the easiest to spam and kill. And then they think the game's broken.
That is so fun fun fun! Especially with my loomed long war axe. They wonder what the hell hit them because there is nothing they can do to stop me.

Bam bam bam! 3 hits to shield --> shield gone ---> nab cant manualblock --> DEATH.

Or Bam! one hit to shield ---> shielder thinks he has the turn to hit me (wroooong) ---> epic skillz feintspam, right footwork and right slash to the face ---> repeat ---> Dead shielder.

------> shielder runs to forums to complain the game is broken --> win and smile
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 10:18:32 pm by Son Of Odin »

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2012, 02:46:42 am »
Yup. Shielder is the worst class for new guys.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2012, 04:38:49 am »
Yup. Shielder is the worst class for new guys.

If you like learning parts of game at a time and a less steep learning curve, shields are great.  If you like getting throw into trial by fire and having an even more frustrating learning period that not having a shield is just for you

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2012, 02:10:25 pm »
+1
If you like learning parts of game at a time and a less steep learning curve, shields are great.  If you like getting throw into trial by fire and having an even more frustrating learning period that not having a shield is just for you

The thing is though, axes are REALLY popular now. A newbie will have their shield break in 2-3 swings. If you're new to this game a 1-hander without a shield is pretty much the worst position you could be in. Also, new players with shields like to turtle up, which is the complete wrong way to play this game. You'll just get spammed until you die. I know I do it to new players all the time.

If they at least start with 2-h or pole they'll have more points to invest in their character and a longer weapon that does more damage. They also won't learn any bad habits about turtling up.

1h is overall my favorite class to play, but there is a reason why most of the shitty players you run into are 1-handers.

Due to 1-handers being so short and having a tiny sweetspot combined with lower damage and slower movement speed because of shields and point investment; footwork is crucial to do decent as a 1-hander. Footwork isn't something you learn overnight, unlike blocking.

You can spend a few hours learning to block and be able to match up to the average player.

I'm not saying 1-hander is harder than other classes, ('cause seriously how hard is it to left swing) just saying that to get to a moderate level, the learning curve is much better on 2-handers/polearms and will make you a better player overall.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 03:07:36 pm by rustyspoon »

Offline Rainbow

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2012, 10:21:18 pm »
I have some advice nobody has given.  Join a clan that will teach you how to fight.  If you are interested, I will make you my apprentice and teach you everything I know with some one on one duels.  I have never trained anybody except saulcanner but I will take you on.  Let me know.  I am in clan TKoV.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2012, 01:45:53 am »
I have some advice nobody has given.  Join a clan that will teach you how to fight.  If you are interested, I will make you my apprentice and teach you everything I know with some one on one duels.  I have never trained anybody except saulcanner but I will take you on.  Let me know.  I am in clan TKoV.

I can attest to Rainbow's fantastic training methods.

This is me after going through his course:
(click to show/hide)

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2012, 08:10:55 pm »
I can attest to Rainbow's fantastic training methods.

This is me after going through his course:
(click to show/hide)

Wow, you have lost 80 pounds in his course?
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?