Author Topic: Why is my One Handed so slow?  (Read 10016 times)

Offline isatis

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ink+water showing their true potential!
    • View Profile
    • le Clan des Cochons!
  • Faction: Le clan des Cochons!!
  • Game nicks: Cochon_Furtif_Isatis
  • IRC nick: Isatis
Re: Why is my One Handed so slow?
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2012, 03:06:18 am »
don't start with scimi

starts with simple sword

why? just to handle the stab a bit.
and because if you get used to that scimi you will be a speed whore!
simple sword is the best beginners choice!
So the new response to ranged ragers is not "get a shield", it is "learn to chamber ranged nub!"
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2012, 07:06:41 am »
don't start with scimi

starts with simple sword

why? just to handle the stab a bit.
and because if you get used to that scimi you will be a speed whore!
simple sword is the best beginners choice!

nope, disagree. should gradually work in tactics.  having a 4 direction sword just compounds learning curve, not to mention simple sword is an exercise in futility, noob wont be able to even hurt plated enemies.  Scimi's are good learning swords.

Offline Fazar

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2012, 08:50:37 am »
Tried it out, still getting smoked by two handers, and pole arm users.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2012, 08:53:09 am »

Practice, young one. You can't expect to become good in a day.

Offline Fazar

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2012, 08:58:22 am »
+1
Practice, young one. You can't expect to become good in a day.

I know Im kind of judging this before getting 'good' at it, but Im really feeling at the brute end of the stick for this.  I've roughed it out through peasant up to level 22 now, and I wouldn't call myself a shabby gamer, but too often it feels like Im just cannon fodder.  Only really good for standing at a flag in Siege.

Oddly my less savy friend who plays this seems to be doing better than me.  I don't want to say it's because he's using a two hander, and Im using one hander, but I out perform him in any other game that requires more twitch based skill.

It's very frustrating, and Im trying to learn, but it's feeling far more work than worth right now.

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2012, 09:11:05 am »
Well i was a 2 hander for long time and before that i was a polearm guy for a long time again .
I just started my 1 hander career a week ago :) so far some things i can tell :
-When i was a 2 hander or polearm i used to spam shielders and circle them till i get to their behind here is what happens :
If they use a heavy shield they go retarded and block till their shield breaks , when it breaks they panic and spam the shit out of you .
As a heavy armour str based (24-18 ^^) 2hander i didn't give a fuck about 1hander hits since they glance or deal shitty damage (Except blunt-pierce type i spam more careful rather than a crazy berserker if i see a guy with warhammer or steelpick :D )so i didn't even bother to block and continue my spam .

Now as a shielder i experience the same occasion but i am on the other side of the situation :D
People don't care about my swings , they dont even block while i swing  :lol: i use a plate covered round shield cuz it looks so fucking awesome
I found 2 solutions to survive "careless 2h spam"
1)Use a fast shield and get min 7 power strike
2)IFight without shield on 1v1 occasions

I dislike fast shields cuz of their looks so i chose the 2nd option :)
I only use my shield on crowded fights(As a shielder you can get the attention of most of the enemies and while they try to spam you , your teammates can get easy kills so it is effective to "tank" enemies on crowded fights rather than trying to get some kills in my opinion.) and chasing archers now and i am happy with it.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 09:12:23 am by koyama »

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2012, 09:13:46 am »
I know Im kind of judging this before getting 'good' at it, but Im really feeling at the brute end of the stick for this.  I've roughed it out through peasant up to level 22 now, and I wouldn't call myself a shabby gamer, but too often it feels like Im just cannon fodder.  Only really good for standing at a flag in Siege.

Oddly my less savy friend who plays this seems to be doing better than me.  I don't want to say it's because he's using a two hander, and Im using one hander, but I out perform him in any other game that requires more twitch based skill.

It's very frustrating, and Im trying to learn, but it's feeling far more work than worth right now.

Few things.

Everyone except very good players will get roughed at level 22, it's because most of the players are level 30, 31 or even more, so there's quite a big stat difference. Technically, you really are cannon fodder till you hit atleast 27.

About your friend, define "doing better"? It's normal that he's getting more kills with a two hander, two handers have much higher damage than one handers and because of this you get more killing blows.

It was frustrating to all of us at first, this game takes a while to get a hang of. Most of us started with Native where you already have a "max level" char and are on equal playing ground (except the player skill). Also, the average cRPG player is better than the average Native, so I can imagine it must be quite frustrating to come here and get your ass handed to you 24/7.

Stick with it, practice and you'll eventually become good, how much time depending on your talent.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 09:15:23 am by Vibe »

Offline Corwin

• Earl
  • Renown: 499
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Corwin_the_Lazy
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2012, 09:28:12 am »
Few things.

Everyone except very good players will get roughed at level 22, it's because most of the players are level 30, 31 or even more, so there's quite a big stat difference. Technically, you really are cannon fodder till you hit atleast 27.

About your friend, define "doing better"? It's normal that he's getting more kills with a two hander, two handers have much higher damage than one handers and because of this you get more killing blows.

It was frustrating to all of us at first, this game takes a while to get a hang of. Most of us started with Native where you already have a "max level" char and are on equal playing ground (except the player skill). Also, the average cRPG player is better than the average Native, so I can imagine it must be quite frustrating to come here and get your ass handed to you 24/7.

Stick with it, practice and you'll eventually become good, how much time depending on your talent.

What Slovenian said.

Also, since you are new to this, maybe we need to cover some basics.

If you don't want to be spammed you need to attack yourself. In order to do this properly, you need to learn to listen, not to watch. The moment you HEAR the weapon connecting with your shield, the same moment you need to attack. If they are spamming, use left to right swing and move to the right. This way you will never get spammed, not even by ninjas.

Before you do anything else, you need to plan your lvl 30 build. Your weapon of choice should depend on your build. There are people like kinngrimm who like to be very mobile and have a great footwork and using 12/24 build. If you are going for this kind of build you NEED pierce or blunt weapon. Others prefer to hit hard and go for 21/15. With 7 PS you can use whatever weapon you want, it wont glance. The most balanced is 18/18, which gives enough mobility, while it allows you to hit reasonably hard.
I mean, what have you got to lose? You know, you come from nothing, you're going back to nothing, what have you lost? Nothing!

Offline Dooz

• Duke
  • Renown: 674
  • Infamy: 165
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Horrible_Human
    • View Profile
    • Wasteland Fight Club
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2012, 09:33:02 am »
+1
109 wpf might not even be giving you the minimum full potential (if that even makes sense) of the weapon, depending on how heavy your armor is. You can use the crpg calculator to plug in your armor weights and wpf, and it'll give you the effective wpf you're actually operating under. If it's below 100, you're blowin it. Ya blew it. I loved her. Ya blew it.

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2012, 10:22:21 am »
If it's below 100, you're blowin it. Ya blew it. I loved her. Ya blew it.

hahaha. Fucking Dooz, I love you. Ya blew it.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2012, 12:40:05 pm »

There's very valuable information in this thread, memorize it and use it.
I've played (including respecs and halfways to level 32) about 10 gens as a 1h/shielder now and unless you're good at positioning/know your reach/good manual blocking, you will have a hard time until you hit at least level 25. Level 25 is where you can have 15/15 stats, meaning 5 athletics, 5 shield skill and 5 PS.
For a first time shielder I would recommend a 21/15 build with 7 IF, PS and 5 ath/shield/wm. This build is forgiving with mistakes as you can take a few hits and you deal good damage with 7 PS.
There's a number of builds out there not including any WM, but I consider those builds suitable for the more experienced players. If you have trouble attacking back, the slight increase in attack speed from WM can make a difference.

For weapons the scimitars are a good choice, mainly because you don't have to worry about a stab just yet. The 1h stab is tricky and will glance a lot if you don't do it right. It can lead to a number of frustrating deaths. The damage will be fine when combined with the 7PS from the build mentioned above.

A good thing to do to improve your footwork is to go to the duelserver and find someone who kicks your ass over and over again by hitting you twice in a row. Often, if you ask them, they will help you to figure out a way to counter this. If they don't want to help just ask someone else. If you see a shielder do well, watch his movements closely, but most good one handers don't use their shield on the duel server.

Hope it helps :)

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2012, 08:57:47 pm »
You're starting at a pretty painful time; most of the community is quite good at this point. Things will get better if you stick with it.

Duel is a decent place to learn footwork and blocking. It only takes a few seconds to go from dying to starting a new duel.

If it's below 100, you're blowin it. Ya blew it. I loved her. Ya blew it.
The speed and damage gained from WPF are linear. There isn't some threshold effect for dropping below 100. For example, going from 100 to 99 wpf will drop your damage output by 0.15%.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 09:00:36 pm by Vodner »

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2012, 09:16:24 pm »
The speed and damage gained from WPF are linear. There isn't some threshold effect for dropping below 100. For example, going from 100 to 99 wpf will drop your damage output by 0.15%.

You're right, but he means that you need at least 100 wpf to use the weapon with the stats listed on the website. Anything over 100 increases stats a bit and below 100 wpf gives you a penalty.

So get 100 effective wpf to get what you see on the website.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2012, 10:11:54 pm »
If you are level 22 and have 6 shield skill, it means you must have low strength. One handed with low strength is pretty useless, unless you have the hardest hitting weapons fully masterworked. You should read the offensive shielder guide, it's a bit outdated, but still contains valuable information. If you don't have MW weapons, I recommend you go for a 21/18 or 24/15 build with 7 or 8 PS respectively. If you use an unloomed steel pick or warhammer, you can get away with 18 STR imo. But I don't recommend these weapons, because they are too short.

And yes, it's true that 2h is much easier at first, because you do a lot of damage and have high reach, so you can get kills with stupid spam.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline LordSnow

• Knight
  • Renown: 57
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Saracens
  • Game nicks: Snow
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2012, 08:44:18 pm »
I can give you one realy good advice. You have to use the mornigstar with your shield. You'll never get outspammed by two handers again.

Like a boss.
Damn. It's snowing again.