Author Topic: Archer Tips?  (Read 5926 times)

Offline rufio

• Marshall
  • Renown: 995
  • Infamy: 483
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • QQ
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Rufio_pleaser_of_widows, LeLouche_LampeRouge, Quenya_Favourite_of_Rufio
Re: Archer Tips?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2012, 07:19:41 am »
regardless they would have gotten owned anyway.

P.S. The most important rule is of course not to believe anything rufio tells you about archery as he is the ranged hater #1  :)

its a shame most archers think like that and shoot into melee enyways, somany times archer tells me i would have been owned enyways when i was fighting 3 man ,,, the tenacity!!!

and second if you would have read my post maybe you might have learned a little to, peasant :3 dont give the impression to this new player that he is being trolled, since all that i put down is relevent info that will help him. and yes you want to play in light gear and specially head needs to be light gear, heavy headgear makes u suffer most.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 07:23:54 am by rufio »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2012, 04:02:01 pm »
its a shame most archers think like that and shoot into melee enyways, somany times archer tells me i would have been owned enyways when i was fighting 3 man ,,, the tenacity!!!

and second if you would have read my post maybe you might have learned a little to, peasant :3 dont give the impression to this new player that he is being trolled, since all that i put down is relevent info that will help him. and yes you want to play in light gear and specially head needs to be light gear, heavy headgear makes u suffer most.

I didnt mean to say that as an archer you should just fire into melee fights as like your, and only your friendly infantry will mess up. I mentioned the opposite. But IF your melee mate is a total noob, just took the 5. hit in a row without blocking a single one before, even then he would blame you for losing the fight if he catches a friendly arrow.

And dont get me wrong rufio. The are quite some viable tips in your wall of text, but many are not practicable as they are very skill-, equipment-, and luck dependent. Trying some of these things in the first or second pure archer generation will get you killed 99% of the time.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 04:13:17 pm by XyNox »

Offline Niemand

• Count
  • Renown: 210
  • Infamy: 368
  • cRPG Player
  • When have I ever given a fuck?
    • View Profile
    • echstreme.designs
  • Faction: Strat: NPC
  • Game nicks: GSU_GlaucomysDragon
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2012, 04:29:07 pm »
Its easy. Just dont shoot into meelee-fights. Archers know that rule but while playing you easily forget it.

And: IMPORTANT!

If you play Defense on SIege... and your flag goes down... DONT THE FUCK SHOOT AT THE ENEMY! run in there, run around, they will hit each other and you will most likely die. BUT! you kept the flag up for at least a half a second. this half second is able to save the round and brings you: One Multiplier.

I could teamkill all those stupid archermorons that stand up on the wall, shooting down to the flag everytime. How moronic can humen possibly be?

So guys: Go for the flag to save it. Your KD counts shit if you lose your multiplier or stay on X1 for another round.
Strategus-Faction: NPC. (More informations via Mail. Include your Username or mail-adress for response.)
Phase/Stage #1: Max-amount of Goods: 50. | Max-Troops: 200.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 04:57:33 pm »
My last build was 8 PD, i use a +2 loomed longbow and I had 3 ath :D
Strongly disagree with #8 too. Like Ylca said dodging horses, get out of thight situations. 8 PD gives very comfortable missile speed although its a bit inaccurate with a longbow. I can imagine it works well with a loomed rus.

Also when you see friendly inf fighting, dont shoot into their fight if you are not sure you wont hit your teammate. If you do theyll cry and blame you for dying, regardless they would have gotten owned anyway. Just wait for them to die so you can get a clean shot.

I like the debate, it comes down to playstyle preference. I used to be a heavy athletics user as well. But I found that 75% of the time, I would have lived longer with the extra IF and Athletics didn't save me. Also, I have a very fast build, so I don't have to run fast when I can constantly stun the melee trying to catch me. 0 Athletics > stunned 6 athletics meleer. You guys that use a slower bow, or not enough WPF with the Horn or Rus won't have as much time, nor the accuracy to perhaps to use that style.
Again, 0 athletics is more than adequate for dodging horses, but then again, I've spent my career walking out into the middle of an open field and challenging cavalry to come and get me, so I probably have as much or more experience in getting out of their way than anyone.
On the PD/WM power vs accuracy debate, I shoot at range. When I talk about being accurate, I mean at the 90%-max range of the bow, ie around where the arrow drops. I'm not talking about short or even mid-range where most Rus and even Horn bow users shoot. I mean being able to shoot that horse all the way across the map while it is running 2-3 times in a row. And when I say accurate, I mean that the reticule randomness is gone, (or pinpoint as some might say). That's my idea of accurate, and I mean doing it on purpose. If you go to 8 PD, even with the Tatar Bow, you introduce that extra random element of chance in those shots because it will vary a bit inside the reticule. It is about personal taste. Some people can't stand hitting someone without doing 50% of their health. Me, I don't mind putting 5 arrows into someone because I enjoy chain stunning them and if one of my teammates run up during that time and get the kill on the stunned enemy, I still win. I don't care about K/D, just multiplier. (But I have lobbied for damage added to the scoreboard. I really want to see if I do up to 25-35% more Damage Over Time than any of the 8 or 9 PD Rus users like I think that I do)
When I spot another archer at range and start shooting them, 95% of them give up and find somewhere to hide out of my LOS. (Except for Ploop or WarKittenz :oops: ) That's because they usually PD stack and can't compete at range.

On firing into melee:

My motto is "Always take the shot, always."

But let's talk about what that means. Your job in that situation isn't to get the kill. It is to get the enemy killed. Your job in that situation is the same as a sheep dog. Herd the enemy. Keep them from controlling the skirmish by not allowing them to go where they want. When the melee is close enough to  spin around each other, keep your shots just behind the enemy. If they back up, they will back into your arrows. If they spin and switch places, you won't hit your teammate and he won't move far enough to get into your "herding" arrows. When they get seperation, then hit them for the stun (or kill). Backpedalers will die quickly. Shielders facing your teammate will get stunned and become open to a hit from your melee. If they face you, same thing. Always try to keep the 90 degree angle.
If your teamates back is to you, fire a couple arrows wide so he knows you are there helping. If they don't adjust to take advantage of having an archer helping them, just disengage and get as much distance as you can so that when your teammate dies from being stupid, you will have enough range to kill the enemy before he can close the distance.
As you get better, the amount of leeway you need will become less. Until then, give your teammate a good cushion of space. But still take the shot. Always  :P
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 05:01:44 pm by Rumblood »
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 05:01:15 pm »
Dude. You kidding me? You got no 7 points for Athletics left when youre an Archer.

I am going with 15/27. 5PD 9WM. 180Archery.
Not hitting shit but that is my personal skill that sucks once again.

I got 3 spare-points left at Level 30 and put them on Athletics. But I dont really need athletics, because I am only wearing a woolen cap, green tunic and Khergit Leather Boots. I am faster than most of the others.

What will be important to you is: Dont use heavyish armour. Dont go over Leather. Your damage and accuracy will drop.

Do not use Bodkin-Arrows. They cost heaps in repair and you dont face heavy armoury that much. So go with Tartar-Arrows.
    Strength: 18
    Agility: 21
    Hit points: 59

Converted: 8
    Ironflesh: 3
    Athletics: 7
    Power Draw: 6
    Weapon Master: 7

Archery: 164

That's where the 7 ath comes in. Whatever people say about whether ath is lower than before, as an archer with this build you are still fast enough to backpedal faster than many heavier armor can run forward, beyond that when you turn and run you can outpace long enough to find some melee support or get another shot off. I know it's fun to hate on high agi builds because a select few run as the last archer left then never shoot, but the build has amazing practical applications especially for a new player to the game.

As for not buying bodkins, if you can't afford bodkins you can't afford to be an archer as bodkins give all bows piercing damage. Cut arrows end with you watching any medium tier or above armor laughing off your pitiful shots as they run you down. Even with bodkins it takes 3 to 4 shots to kill the average target which means that without you can shoot all day to next to no effect. I'm sure some higher skill players pull it off with headshots constantly, but this is advice for a new player. Keep in mind that on week 1 not everyone can take 0 PS then out melee opponents in time for their next shot. Best to start out with enough speed to focus on one thing at a time. Focus on ranged, then when you're a little better you can cut out ath if you want.

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 05:06:49 pm »
As for not buying bodkins, if you can't afford bodkins you can't afford to be an archer as bodkins give all bows piercing damage. Cut arrows end with you watching any medium tier or above armor laughing off your pitiful shots as they run you down. Even with bodkins it takes 3 to 4 shots to kill the average target which means that without you can shoot all day to next to no effect. I'm sure some higher skill players pull it off with headshots constantly, but this is advice for a new player. Keep in mind that on week 1 not everyone can take 0 PS then out melee opponents in time for their next shot. Best to start out with enough speed to focus on one thing at a time. Focus on ranged, then when you're a little better you can cut out ath if you want.

Yep. Keep 1 stack of Bodkins in slot #1 and aim for armored targets at the beginning of the rounds (or any cavalry and especially HA/HX regardless of what they wear). Then carry a stack of normal arrows in slot #2. By time your bodkins are gone, people are running around injured, you will have a good number of arrows left to shoot, and the couple extra points of cut damage from the Tatars don't balance vs the cost as stack #2.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline rufio

• Marshall
  • QQ
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rufio_pleaser_of_widows, LeLouche_LampeRouge, Quenya_Favourite_of_Rufio
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 05:41:58 pm »
And dont get me wrong rufio. The are quite some viable tips in your wall of text, but many are not practicable as they are very skill-, equipment-, and luck dependent. Trying some of these things in the first or second pure archer generation will get you killed 99% of the time.

what i posted is how i play as archer, and ive played 1.5 gen , although im already an experienced crpg player, i ripped shit up , with normal gear and tatar bow + tatar arrows, no heirlooms, so all depends on how fast this guy learns, and how  many experience he brings with him from native/ other games.

Offline Niemand

• Count
  • Renown: 210
  • Infamy: 368
  • cRPG Player
  • When have I ever given a fuck?
    • View Profile
    • echstreme.designs
  • Faction: Strat: NPC
  • Game nicks: GSU_GlaucomysDragon
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2012, 05:46:18 pm »
Its not the problem of the cost. I could afford them. But I do not want to lose 1k when I get only 500 coins because my team is not able to win. (My lack of skill will be a part of that, too, I admit that).

But I prefer having 2 (or three) stacks of Tatar Arrows than having one Stack of Bodkin and one Stack of normal arrows. The Bodkins simply didnt satisfy me. I use them for DTV when the Weaboos come and for the Nordstuff after that.
Or when I want to piss off Chamion or Kliff. :D

On firing into melee:

My motto is "Always take the shot, always."

But let's talk about what that means. Your job in that situation isn't to get the kill. It is to get the enemy killed. Your job in that situation is the same as a sheep dog. Herd the enemy. Keep them from controlling the skirmish by not allowing them to go where they want. When the melee is close enough to  spin around each other, keep your shots just behind the enemy. If they back up, they will back into your arrows. If they spin and switch places, you won't hit your teammate and he won't move far enough to get into your "herding" arrows. When they get seperation, then hit them for the stun (or kill). Backpedalers will die quickly. Shielders facing your teammate will get stunned and become open to a hit from your melee. If they face you, same thing. Always try to keep the 90 degree angle.
If your teamates back is to you, fire a couple arrows wide so he knows you are there helping. If they don't adjust to take advantage of having an archer helping them, just disengage and get as much distance as you can so that when your teammate dies from being stupid, you will have enough range to kill the enemy before he can close the distance.
As you get better, the amount of leeway you need will become less. Until then, give your teammate a good cushion of space. But still take the shot. Always  :P
Hmm... thats some stuff I srsly should remember. I will try that this evening. Thanks for the advise.
Strategus-Faction: NPC. (More informations via Mail. Include your Username or mail-adress for response.)
Phase/Stage #1: Max-amount of Goods: 50. | Max-Troops: 200.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2012, 06:33:00 pm »
Archer tips? Experiment wildly and see what build suits you the most. Don't use a build if the playstyle is not natural to you.

When I get home I'll post a bunch of builds and describe what playstyle each requires.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2012, 07:27:32 pm »
Use that 7 athletics to turn, run, then shoot instead of being like many archers who decide they are now peasant 1hers the first time someone with a giant sword and a ton of armor comes barreling towards them.
What he's trying to say is that you should be lame and gay instead of manly.

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2012, 07:34:22 pm »
Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)

Strength: 15
    Agility: 24
    Hit points: 60

Skills to attributes: 8

Ironflesh: 5
    Power Strike: 5
    Shield: 0
    Athletics: 0
    Riding: 0
    Horse Archery: 0
    Power Draw: 5
    Power Throw: 0
    Weapon Master: 8

One Handed: 91
    Two Handed: 1
    Polearm: 1
    Archery: 160
    Crossbow: 1
    Throwing: 1

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2012, 07:52:54 pm »
Sigh.

Reasons NOT to be a "pure" archer:

1. Your teammates will thank you.

If you can melee you will be able to dispose off enemies much faster. Instead of being some annoying runner yelling "support me!!!111" you can take care of the problem yourself and quickly be back in the action.  If you have a melee weapon you also have the option of supporting your friends in melee instead of shooting, which is a godsend for the melee players since friendly arrows in the back hurt (you don't expect them, so the stun gets you killed very often).

2. The guys on the other team will thank you.

Face it, facing (not intended) a runner is boring. You run after some dude for a minute with really no other option since if you turn around he'll shoot you. Killing them is a matter of no skill but more luck/athletics as well.

3. Meleeing as an archer is OP as fuck.

Since you really have no interest in meleeing as an archer (if someone disengages you pull out your bow, which is exactly what you want) as you can constantly backpeddle and still be at full offensive effectiveness. This fucks up almost all offensive melee strategy, makes the melee player very easy to block and limits his options tremendously.

4. You'll gain skilzz.

If you spend your entire time shooting then you're never going to hone your melee skills (obv) and thus if you should decide to play another type of char you will most likely suck. Even really old players (Arrowblood...) suffer from this.

In short:

Don't be an idiot; don't go "pure" archer.

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2012, 08:08:44 pm »
Little advice - play some generations as polearmer, or 2H, or onehander without a shield but with 1slot weapon only. Spend some time on hunting for archers\xbowers. Do not be simpleminded, think what you are doing and how they can oppose you. Think what you'll do next time, when you'll have ranged weapon. Loom light armor\arrows. It's hard to be an archer without loomed stuff - because 50% of your enemy already have loomed armors.

With this little basic training you'll understand how battle mechanics works. It's impossible to be a good archer and do not understand how battle around you going. Only if you are in right place, in right time you can affect a battle flow. Otherwise you'll be just another hatred pewpew with 0.22 k\d.

Offline rufio

• Marshall
  • QQ
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2012, 09:06:33 pm »
+1
only seeing your name popup in here gives me the shivers cupid, i fear thine headshots, and i dream of strangeling you every once in a while

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2012, 10:33:12 pm »

If you want an archer/melee hybrid, here is an ancient guide that mostly still holds true. Some obvious and not-so-obvious things have changed (there is no Strong bow, its now called the Horn bow) and you can go with PD 5 with the Horn bow and not be considered an "extreme" build anymore. In fact it is pretty standard nowadays. But you will need PD 6 in order to access all the bows still.
Also, you can see that even a year ago I decided that 3 athletics was enough, though used to go double that or beyond. Now, with the additional nerfs, 0 athletics is just fine when played properly. Its a matter of preference and playstyle. Athletics still has some usefulness, but don't pay attention when someone says you "must" have it or that it is better. Figure out what works best for how you play.

http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,6333.0.html

But don't listen to pumpkin head concerning pure archers. They are more viable today than they ever were in the history of c-RPG.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 10:44:13 pm by Rumblood »