Author Topic: Archer Tips?  (Read 5661 times)

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
Re: Archer Tips?
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2012, 10:55:44 pm »
I'm not talking about a full hybrid - when I did a STF archer 0 wpf and 4 PS worked fine for melee.

And yes, "pure" archers are viable, it's disgusting. but I firmly believe that an archer who doesn't restrict himself to pure running bundle of sticksry is more useful than one who does. Assuming he's not horrible in melee ofc.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline rufio

• Marshall
  • Renown: 995
  • Infamy: 483
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • QQ
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Rufio_pleaser_of_widows, LeLouche_LampeRouge, Quenya_Favourite_of_Rufio
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2012, 11:35:35 pm »
+3
this is a new player dezi, telling him to go gimped hybrid and switch to melee when needed is putting a deathscentence on him, he wont experience eny fun from it, better indeed for him to go pure archer, and later if he keeps playing he can always be tempted to try out melee chars.

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2012, 11:46:39 pm »
Well then, in that case my advice is simple:

Don't go archer.

(click to show/hide)

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2012, 02:07:48 am »
I'm not talking about a full hybrid - when I did a STF archer 0 wpf and 4 PS worked fine for melee.

And yes, "pure" archers are viable, it's disgusting. but I firmly believe that an archer who doesn't restrict himself to pure running bundle of sticksry is more useful than one who does. Assuming he's not horrible in melee ofc.

Right. I recommend 0 athletics for the "pure running bundle of sticksry".  :rolleyes:
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • Renown: 394
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mallets and his family
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2012, 06:52:00 am »
I have two Archery question, so I just thought I'd ask them here.

#1 - About half the Archers I see are wearing Padded Leather for armor... why is that?

#2 - I see a decent amount of archers, in very light-cloth armor... yet they are wearing mail mittens.  I know the penalty for wearing gloves is steeper.  So why are they wearing any gloves at all, much less mail mittens?  Are they just new players, or am I missing something?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 09:42:42 am by Mallets »

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2012, 11:52:02 am »
+1
#1 - About half the Archers I see are wearing Padded Leather for armor... why is that?

Pure coincidence. Because this armor isn't better for archer than any armor between Padded Armor and Lamellar Vests. (dont mind fancy stuff like bride dress ofcourse).

#2 - I see a decent amount of archers, in very light-cloth armor... yet they are wearing mail mittens.  I know the penalty for wearing gloves is steeper.  So why are they wearing any gloves at all, much less mail mittens?  Are they just new players, or am I missing something?

It's just min-maxing. Since penalty for hand armor = effective weight of hand armor *2, with mail mittens you can receive more defence for less penalty than with just heavier armor. Especially with loomed mail mittens.
Main point for armor efficiency - you must have enough armor to survive arbalest bolt but still have minimum penalty for your WPF. So, you need at least 38-42 body armor with minimum possible weight.
Well, some people also use armors to blend at some maps.

Example
Byrnie  - body armor 36, weight: 8.6
Mail gauntlets - bosy armor 5, weight: 0,5*2=1
Overall armor and weight - 41 and 9,6

Overall armor rating for armor with weight 9,6 = 37
Yes, combo armor+mittens cost little more, but this is not a big money.

See?

Offline SockpuppetSamurai

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2012, 07:03:52 pm »
Lots of good tips in this thread so I figured I might as well throw my questions in here. I have read the other threads and guides but I am still in the dark a bit with the number crunching.
Is there a reason the Yumi bow is seldom used? I started toying with an archer and It seems to me that the Yumi performs better than the Horn bow. Is there a big difference between 150 and 165 WPF? If I go with 150 I can put 90 into one-handed and then 3 into PS instead of IF. I figure 6 extra hp really isn't going to make too much of a difference. At what point does armor begin to affect accuracy? I like the look and protection of Lamellar but it does have a noticeable affect on movement speed.

Edit: According to the cRPG Calculator the Lamellar armor does incur a 5-6 WPF point penalty in addition to slower movement. In order to keep  a neutral modifier my body armor would have to be 6kg or lighter. Is armor this light worth wearing?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 07:16:01 pm by SockpuppetSamurai »

Offline rufio

• Marshall
  • Renown: 995
  • Infamy: 483
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • QQ
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Rufio_pleaser_of_widows, LeLouche_LampeRouge, Quenya_Favourite_of_Rufio
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2012, 07:34:15 pm »
yes it is, and i dont know why yumi isnt being used that much, i guess people want or good damage or from hornbow down good speed

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2012, 07:56:06 pm »
Yes, Yumi is interesting bow, it has best accuracy (in comparison with hornbow\warbow\longbow) and good weapon speed. But people prefer higher projectile speed. In archer duel projectile speed is more important than +2 to damage. If enemy team do not have many archers\xbowmans you can use Yumi against infantry and expect good results.

150 wpf is good for 5 Powerdraw. For 6 Powerdraw you need 160+ wpf in archery. You still can use 6PD Longbow\Rusbow with 150 wpf only - but shooting became much more comfortable with 160+ wpf.

Since you can have 30-40 body armor with 6kg weight limit - it's your life saver. Without armor you'll die from 1-2 arrows or one hit of ugly peasant with military scythe. Or two friendly bumps from teammate's coursers.

Offline bigsean

• Knight
  • Renown: 74
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Idlewild, BigSean, Tacabro
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2012, 08:57:48 pm »
The Yumi just seems like a bad choice from the shop. People like to use the horn bow for those fast, accurate draws and the rus bow for slower, but higher damage shots. The yumi, being the middle bow in terms of draw speed, seems like it would be a great middle bow to touch on both sides but there is one glaring flaw; the yumi only has 35 missile speed. In comparison with the horn bow's 39, and the rus bow's 39, the yumi is very low. Even the most basic bow has 37. Don't know how much this matters but I can certainly "feel" a difference.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2012, 09:23:00 pm »
Yep, the Yumi has one main advantage/disadvantage and that is the missile speed. Because of how damage is calculated, it will be less damaging than any other bow in 75% of situations (maybe 90%).
In the other 10-25% of the time, it will be MORE damaging because of the speed bonus it gains from being slower. Here's why:

Speed bonus is a % damage increase based upon the difference between the starting speed, and the relative speed upon impact.

What in the hell does that mean?

Yumi starts with 35 speed.
Horn starts with 39 speed.

But lets look at speed bonuses.

They both shoot at a horse charging straight towards them. Because of the horses speed, the final missile impact speed is, lets say 42.

Yumi gets a bonus of 42/35 or 120%.
Horn gets a bonus of 42/39 or 108%

THESE NUMBERS ARE PURE FICTION[/u]

But you get the idea. I'm fairly certain that you also get a penalty to damage if the horse is riding away from you.

The other situation where to get a speed bonus is if you are on a wall or hill and firing down. Gravity will increase the missile speed and you also get some bonus from that.

One other benefit/drawback to the slower missile speed is the more pronounced arc to the arrow flight. You can shoot over hills or rooftops and hit someone on the other side. But, the missile will be so slow, it will be much easier to dodge by an aware enemy.

So really, while there are situations where the Yumi has an advantage, overall it isn't enough to make it a better option compared to the other bows.

"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline SockpuppetSamurai

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2012, 10:27:21 pm »
Thank you Rumblood for the clarification of the speed. I wasn't aware that the lower speed meant less damage in most situations, perhaps it's best used on horseback?

Is it normal to have to aim high even at extreme close range? I've found this to be the case with all of the bows.
(click to show/hide)

I'm finding that I can't see my projectile at ranges which makes adjusting aim guesswork, is this normal?
I'm using Realistic Colors and the alternative crosshair mods, could this be the reason?

Offline Oggrinsky

• Knight
  • Renown: 61
  • Infamy: 10
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sons of Zardoz
  • Game nicks: Tzadik_Oggrinsky, Ghazi_Suleiman, MissOggynistic
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2012, 10:32:03 pm »
Looks like I should weigh in on this.

My typical archer build looks like this:

Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)

Strength: 21
    Agility: 15
    Hit points: 66

Skills to attributes: 2

Ironflesh: 5
    Power Strike: 7
    Athletics: 5
    Power Draw: 7
    Weapon Master: 5

Two Handed: 63
    Archery: 140

I've never had more than 140 wpf with 7 PD. Sure, I have a little trouble connecting with those long range shots but I'm pretty accurate from medium and short range. I may give up a tiny bit of accuracy from long range but in exchange I gain more stopping power and the ability to melee effectively. I've found that even with 60 wpf in 2h I can out melee the average Crpg player.
I also use a Yumi, which is fantastic at +3 but not so great at +0.

I understand that it really just comes down to playstyle and that my particular style isn't really newbie friendly.
That being said, ARCHER HYBRIDS ARE NOT GIMPED, but the players who fail at it are.

I guarantee you'll have more fun in the long run if you put in the extra time to learn how to melee and stack some powerstrike.

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2012, 11:23:30 pm »
I'm finding that I can't see my projectile at ranges which makes adjusting aim guesswork, is this normal?

open item_kinds1.txt in your cRPG folder with notepad and replace these

arrows_flying_h1
barbed_arrows_flying_h1
bodkin_arrows_flying_h1
tatar_arrows_flying_h1

with

flying_missile

I've never had more than 140 wpf with 7 PD. Sure, I have a little trouble connecting with those long range shots but I'm pretty accurate from medium and short range. I may give up a tiny bit of accuracy from long range but in exchange I gain more stopping power and the ability to melee effectively. I've found that even with 60 wpf in 2h I can out melee the average Crpg player.

What range is «medium» for you?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 11:24:36 pm by Cup1d »

Offline Oggrinsky

• Knight
  • Renown: 61
  • Infamy: 10
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sons of Zardoz
  • Game nicks: Tzadik_Oggrinsky, Ghazi_Suleiman, MissOggynistic
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2012, 01:25:00 am »
What range is «medium» for you?

Well, it's kind of difficult to define "medium" without some kind of reference or measurement of distance. But I guess "medium" range for me would be about 20 players standing side by side... I'm not sure how you expect me to answer this question though, so that'll have to do.

Short range: Just outside melee distance (5 players standing side by side)
Medium range: Well outside of melee distance (20 players standing side by side)
Long range: Far from any melee range (I don't know)