Author Topic: Archer Tips?  (Read 5895 times)

Offline Mogu

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Archer Tips?
« on: March 26, 2012, 07:42:15 pm »
So, I'd like to know if some of the more experienced archers could offer some help to a newbie?

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
Re: Archer Tips?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 07:45:04 pm »
+2
Don't be one.

Lots of stigma.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 08:17:27 pm »
Don't be one.

Lots of stigma.
he just mad.

(Butts he's also correct - people hate getting killed by archers, therefore people hate archers.  If this doesn't dissuade you, read on!)

try a skip the fun archer that boosts you to level 30.  Leveling an archer is very painful to do especially as a new player.  Without the power draw you'll hurt nothing, and without the athletics you'll be walking meat. 

Getting a good build is important. A 18-21 build is a good one, or maybe 18-24.  Maybe a 21-18 build but personally I think 6 PD is enough.

Otherwise practice from there!  Leading people & all that is a feeling.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Arrowblood

• Duke
  • Renown: 508
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Arrowblood
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 08:22:02 pm »
Its all about sidesteps while duelling against other ranged.
And dont try to be a lone legolas, always stay close to your team.

http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,9160.0.html
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 08:23:14 pm by Deutschritter »

Offline Boerenlater

• Marshall
  • Renown: 728
  • Infamy: 204
  • cRPG Player
  • Jebem ti život!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Boerenlater
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 08:25:41 pm »
+1
Shoot 'em in the face.

Offline Mogu

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 08:28:46 pm »
I'll refrain from skipping the fun. I want to loom a longbow.

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 09:07:11 pm »
+3
I'll refrain from skipping the fun. I want to loom a longbow.

I don't mean making your main character a STF character, I mean make a new character and skip the fun to see what it's like to be a level 30 archer.

You might love it, in which case go for it on your main.
You might hate it, in which case you'll thank me for saving you the trouble.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 03:20:21 am »
For the love of god remember that you're an archer not melee. Yes some people at high level have builds that allow them to have power strike- chances are you are not there yet and will probably take the 18/21 amazing standard build that gives enough speed to run circles around most melee. Use that 7 athletics to turn, run, then shoot instead of being like many archers who decide they are now peasant 1hers the first time someone with a giant sword and a ton of armor comes barreling towards them.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 04:30:15 am »
So, I'd like to know if some of the more experienced archers could offer some help to a newbie?

Tip #1 - Don't loom a longbow.
Tip #2 - When leveling, build evenly and use each bow in turn. Once you have reached the max in one skill for your build, then and only then start building unevenly eg 3/3, 6/6, 9/9,... 18/18, 21/18
Tip #3 - Don't go above PD 7.
Tip #4 - Don't loom a longbow.
Tip #5 - For hard hitting go with Rus Bow 21 str/18 Agi - PD 7 - WM 6 - 156 WPF
Tip #6 - Don't loom a longbow.
Tip #7 - For fast and accurate take a Horn Bow with PD 5 and WM  9 - 180 WPF
Tip #8 - Put any extra skills into IF - Don't bother with Athletics
Tip #9 - Don't loom a longbow
Tip #10 - If you prefer to miss your shots, waste your points on skills that have been nerfed to the dust, be frustrated while leveling and want an heirloom that you will want to break and can't sell, ignore the tips above.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Mogu

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 05:30:11 am »
+2
Tip #2 - When leveling, build evenly and use each bow in turn. Once you have reached the max in one skill for your build, then and only then start building unevenly eg 3/3, 6/6, 9/9,... 18/18, 21/18
Tip #10 - If you prefer to miss your shots, waste your points on skills that have been nerfed to the dust, be frustrated while leveling and want an heirloom that you will want to break and can't sell, ignore the tips above.

So I think I'm gonna loom a longbow. *Badum-tiss*

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 05:49:53 am »

Strongly disagree with 8.

7 athletics makes you swift enough to dodge horses and remove yourself from melee. That IF isn't going to help much as archers wear very light armor. At best it means you might get to live long enough to see a second swing instead of just the one. Better to be fast enough not to get hit at all.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 06:03:38 am »
Athletics was nerfed into dust and I dodge horses just fine with 0. Played properly, it won't be swings you need to be concerned about surviving. It is other ranged. That IF will allow you to survive another hit and win the ranged fight against other Archers, Xbows, HA's and HX's and some throwers.

Don't be a runner  :idea:
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline rufio

• Marshall
  • Renown: 995
  • Infamy: 483
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • QQ
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Rufio_pleaser_of_widows, LeLouche_LampeRouge, Quenya_Favourite_of_Rufio
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 07:09:18 am »
if you want to be a good archers practice hold shots, u will see your crosshair widen , but when u practice abit you will realise there is a second sweetspot in the hold,, when on release the arrow will still go straight!!! also hold attacks make for more damage!!! up to 50% more!!  practice medium to short ranged shooting alot this is where you do sick ammounts of damage, long ranged shots tend not to do that much damage. use terrain to your advantage, slopes rooftops whatever, hight gives u a damage bonus to, also forcing people to move up to you is a + since theyr movment is slowed comming uphill/ladder, making them even eazier to hit. practice shotgunning shielders, this is holding your atack and wating fo rthem to get close and release shield cover , or move arround them and release in movement trying to shoot in there side ( this is for more advanced players) use your pan arround button alot : default is ' ~ button ' but change it to an eazier to acces button like and extra mouse button. (shit its late alot of use of the word button)  stick near other archers, you will realise you are the most powerfull class in this game once u start playing together with other archers, headshot nearly oneshot enything, move after each shot. once again get it into your system to pan arround alot to know whats happening arround you!! if you do this, you will lyao while cav or enyone else at that struggels to catch you, yes if you see cav comming they are very eazy to dodge, unarmored horses take about 3 arrows at 6 pd. learn to block with a 0 slot weap like a sycle it will save you alot if you get good at it, since people will desperatly try to go for you the eazy pray, while your teamm8ts can just kill them in there backs. also you can shoot while moving at point blank and hit alot of the times , very good to use while dodging cav.

Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)

Strength: 18
    Agility: 21
    Hit points: 59

Converted: 8
    Ironflesh: 3
    Power Strike: 0
    Shield: 0
    Athletics: 7
    Riding: 0
    Horse Archery: 0
    Power Draw: 6
    Power Throw: 0
    Weapon Master: 7

One Handed: 1
    Two Handed: 1
    Polearm: 1
    Archery: 164
    Crossbow: 1
    Throwing: 1

tatar/horn or rusbow, with tatar or bodkin arrows

sorry for the messy post, but follow these guidelines and you will become legend, and also laugh at all the other players

once again having tunnel vision will be cause of nearly all your deaths!! BE AWARE OF WHATS GOING ON ARROUND U!!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 07:14:22 am by rufio »

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 07:11:18 am »

My last build was 8 PD, i use a +2 loomed longbow and I had 3 ath :D
Strongly disagree with #8 too. Like Ylca said dodging horses, get out of thight situations. 8 PD gives very comfortable missile speed although its a bit inaccurate with a longbow. I can imagine it works well with a loomed rus.

Most important rule for archers imo is to do 360° checks. Constantly be aware of your sourroundings as cav, inf, other ragend will constantly try to hunt you down first as you are a one hit kill in most situations.

Also when you see friendly inf fighting, dont shoot into their fight if you are not sure you wont hit your teammate. If you do theyll cry and blame you for dying, regardless they would have gotten owned anyway. Just wait for them to die so you can get a clean shot.

Another thing you have to know before becoming an archer:
Shielders have godmode like in native. When a shielder with an average sized shield is facing you there is no way to harm him. If you are the last person alive and your enemy is a shielder you might just go afk as you wont be able to kill him anyway. Additionally as you are an archer you will have no melee capabillities. A lvl 2 peasant probably hits harder and faster than you, meaning your weapon will just glance on everything made of leather and up.

Appart from that of course headshot headshots headshots.

If you still want to go the ways of the ranged - welcome archer brother.

P.S. The most important rule of course is not to believe anything rufio tells you about archery as he is the ranged hater #1  :)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 07:17:27 am by XyNox »

Offline Niemand

• Count
  • Renown: 210
  • Infamy: 368
  • cRPG Player
  • When have I ever given a fuck?
    • View Profile
    • echstreme.designs
  • Faction: Strat: NPC
  • Game nicks: GSU_GlaucomysDragon
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2012, 07:17:58 am »
Strongly disagree with 8.
7 athletics makes you swift enough to dodge horses and remove yourself from melee.
Dude. You kidding me? You got no 7 points for Athletics left when youre an Archer.

I am going with 15/27. 5PD 9WM. 180Archery.
Not hitting shit but that is my personal skill that sucks once again.

I got 3 spare-points left at Level 30 and put them on Athletics. But I dont really need athletics, because I am only wearing a woolen cap, green tunic and Khergit Leather Boots. I am faster than most of the others.

What will be important to you is: Dont use heavyish armour. Dont go over Leather. Your damage and accuracy will drop.

Do not use Bodkin-Arrows. They cost heaps in repair and you dont face heavy armoury that much. So go with Tartar-Arrows.
Strategus-Faction: NPC. (More informations via Mail. Include your Username or mail-adress for response.)
Phase/Stage #1: Max-amount of Goods: 50. | Max-Troops: 200.