Author Topic: Shield Trolls in the game  (Read 1066 times)

Offline BootyBuster

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Shield Trolls in the game
« on: March 25, 2012, 11:48:34 pm »

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
Re: Shield Trolls in the game
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 12:15:07 am »
+2
you can still hit them in their back and that will probably always be a onehit kill.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 12:18:03 am »
+1
Footwork or kicks or ignore or crushthrough. Most of them are STF ones that are so point starved they lack the athletics to avoid getting overrun. Also, it makes perfect sense from a mechanics view as each rank gives 8% damage reduction. I mean, yes the person is invulnerable from casual attacks, but useless for any offense.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 12:19:13 am by Tears of Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline RibaldRon

• Baron
  • Renown: 144
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
  • why do butts
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: LLJK_RibaldRon
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 12:18:25 am »
+3
If somebody wants to have 13 shield and just be an invincible troll so what.  They're cav fodder from any angle, fodder for 2 infantry, or arrows from behind.  And hello mauls.

You have to sacrifice so much to have the unbreakable shield...
signature removed: annoying
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

USA USA USA

Offline BootyBuster

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 12:26:17 am »
It's very easy to keep someone in front of you when you have 12 in sheild.

Most are naked except the shield and have like 5 ath  or so,  I don't know, but their a bit faster then me and I have  6 ath wearing light armor.

So unless you have 3 ppl attacking them from different angles, you won't be killing them.

PLz don't point out stuff that 95% of the time isn't going to happen. it's bullshit and a cap should be made, and mostly how is that realistic? A shield will not last forever, it will break. It will not last 50 hits or how ever crazy amount it is

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • Renown: 394
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mallets and his family
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 12:56:27 am »
Well the only issue with a cap is... then you'd need to cap PS, IF, WM, PD... actually cap all the skills.  Though I'd think PS & Athletics would be the two major ones compared to Shield (that folks try to go crazy high with).

And were would you cap it... at 10... just because it's even?  And having less PS (only 10 instead of 12) would it still take just as long to break the shield of someone with 10 Shield?

I don't know the answer... I mean them as legitimate questions.  But at the same time... I mean them rhetorically.

Where do you start drawing lines?

Offline BootyBuster

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 01:10:34 am »
The Admins have to test the shields skill using different shields.

With the average ps users perhaps being 6-8 and some str guys at 10 or even 12. And using Bonus against shield weapons.

I don't know the normal amount of hits say someone with 4-6 in shield, using a specific shield could withstand. But I do notice most peoples sheilds breaking after 5 or so hits.

But I do know for certain it should not be around 30 or 40. They'd have to test it. And my max I mean like, say you have 6 in sheild with the heavy duty shields require. If you go from 6-13 skill, What ever number in between would be the cutoff. Maybe 8 I don't know, but If I'm using my axe and I have 8-9 Ps and I have to hit a sheild say 20 times for it to break... well you know thats just retarded, and 20 may be a lowball for the 13 shielders out there.

Testing needs to be done to find where the cuttoff should be
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 01:11:40 am by BootyBuster »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 03:03:41 am »
But I do notice most peoples sheilds breaking after 5 or so hits.

I don't agree with this, as someone who loves shielder alts. Is this assuming a bonus against shield weapon?
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline BootyBuster

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 04:04:54 am »
That line is "me" noticing  most peoples shields breaking after 5-6 with my
Two hander
 Axe.

And of course i'm talking the average, of course the shield you have on matters.

I don't know the average, but Ive broken ALOT of shields and I'm thinkin that's the norm out of all i've broken, from all the different players i fought.

Testing is needed to see the Cap needed.

But this is about 12-13 sheild skill overkill. being abused in rageball and elsewhere. A Cap is needed

« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 04:06:24 am by BootyBuster »

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 04:20:04 am »
+1
Perhaps just ban this from Rageball?  If the problem is there then lets deal with it.  No need for modding or blanket changes: just make 13+ shield skill a no-go on Rageball.  I've never played the gametype myself, but if 13+ shieldskill is close to gamebreaking then this seems like an appropriate fix.

Offline Beauchamp

• Earl
  • Renown: 427
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
    • Personal portfolio
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 12:16:04 pm »
aye in crpg it doesnt matter imo, in rageball it should be fixed somehow if it fucks up the gameplay.
OOODDIIINVALHALLAAAAAAA on the 20th of April 2011: What I know is that... heh, eh ja how can I explain? ...deh feeling to believe in Odin is right, dat is what I say, ja?!

Offline Ganner

• Duke
  • Renown: 553
  • Infamy: 138
  • The other white meat
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Ganner_of_Chaos
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 03:17:57 pm »
Perhaps just ban this from Rageball?  If the problem is there then lets deal with it.  No need for modding or blanket changes: just make 13+ shield skill a no-go on Rageball.  I've never played the gametype myself, but if 13+ shieldskill is close to gamebreaking then this seems like an appropriate fix.

I dont see it particularly game breaking there.   First off, the ball holder takes a speed penalty, secondly a shielder runs slower just by having a shield, finally a shielder runs even slower when he has his shield up.  If you cant catch him and get the ball off him your doing it wrong.

However, if the douche is just holding onto the ball not advancing it just to grief the whole server that is a different story.  kick poll/ban poll the douche.

Offline BootyBuster

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 11:18:13 pm »
They'd hold onto the ball with 12-13 in sheild with their shield up. Walking forward with the unbreakable shield up.

They don't wear armor and have a light shield on it looks like and they gotta have 7 or more ath or more

It doesn't matter if you catch him, you can't surround him, and unless SOMEHOW u can hit behide him or to his side, he isnt gonna die. he can backpeddle faster then you can walk. Alot easier said then done to hit a shielder who isn't going to attack you... they just run with shield up.

I'm thinking their using the 3/38 Build 12 Sheild 7 Ath and being naked. Very fast and cheap. Yes banning them from rageball would be a good choice
But some people also troll with this in other maps.

So if the shield doesn't break when you have say 10ps using a 2hander axe, in ohh... i don't know 20!! hits, There is a problem Put a Cap on it.

It doesn't break the game of course... But it somehow transforms your shield into some godly armor that never breaks, while having 12 in shield or so. And it doesn't seem to matter what sheild you use. I saw people using the first wood crappy ones. No matter your ps or damage it will hardly EVER break
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 11:23:18 pm by BootyBuster »

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 11:33:37 pm »
If you are walking with the ball AND have your shield up you're going to be going ridiculously slow.  It's almost impossible NOT to be surrounded by that point.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 11:37:48 pm »
Footwork or kicks or ignore or crushthrough. Most of them are STF ones that are so point starved they lack the athletics to avoid getting overrun. Also, it makes perfect sense from a mechanics view as each rank gives 8% damage reduction. I mean, yes the person is invulnerable from casual attacks, but useless for any offense.

Unless you've got 5\36 build with 12 shield skill and 7 riding. Hardhitting horse, two shields (with good horse coverage) and practice lance. This build definitely can do some damage and do not have footman shielder weaknesses (crushthrough\kick).