Author Topic: Is this bannable?  (Read 12333 times)

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
Re: Is this bannable?
« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2012, 04:54:21 am »
+2
yes its the bundle of stickss fault if they don't like being called a bundle of sticks
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline obitus

• Earl
  • Renown: 486
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeAOv_H-hh0&hd=1
  • Faction: kings of kd
« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2012, 04:59:26 am »
A gay person being called "gay" should be as offensive as calling a white person "white".

:colbert:

A gay person being called bundle of sticks isn't the same, as "bundle of sticks" is basically a slur invented to be offensive.  They still shouldn't be offended.

Offline a_bear_irl

• Duke
  • Renown: 540
  • Infamy: 252
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2012, 05:01:28 am »
Okay, the only time it should work is when used on a homophobic person.

race is not under anyone's control.  A black person being called "friend" should be as offensive as calling a white person "cracker".  The only reason a black person would take offense is if they themselves believe it is shameful to be black, which is ridiculous but sadly true in some cases due to our shitty racist society.
FREE ALLERS

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2012, 05:02:01 am »
yes its the bundle of stickss fault if they don't like being called a bundle of sticks

bundle of sticks, often shortened to my old friend, is a pejorative term and common slur used chiefly in North America against homosexual males. Its pejorative use, broadly meaning a "repellent male" has spread from the United States to varying extents elsewhere in the English-speaking world through mass culture, including movies, music, and the Internet.

Considering it is a slur, I don't understand your thinking on this. So with this logic, it is the problem of a black person if I call them a friend and they take offense, or a Hispanic person a spic? I honestly would like your reasoning on this distinction, or a correction for me.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2012, 05:04:03 am »
you can call a woman "just a woman" to denigrate them or make it sound like their opinion shouldn't matter, is that not wrong?

you can call a black person black.. a mexican a mexican.. an arab an arab.. all with the intent to profile them, dig up negative connotations, marginalize them

calling a gay person "gay" in an insulting context is no different

its about the intent of the person throwing the insult and there is nothing wrong with thinking its offensive or wrong to be called a jew, gay, a retard, whatever

denying people the right to expect respect and proper treatment is taking 10 steps back as a common race of people

bundle of sticks, often shortened to my old friend, is a pejorative term and common slur used chiefly in North America against homosexual males. Its pejorative use, broadly meaning a "repellent male" has spread from the United States to varying extents elsewhere in the English-speaking world through mass culture, including movies, music, and the Internet.

Considering it is a slur, I don't understand your thinking on this. So with this logic, it is the problem of a black person if I call them a friend and they take offense, or a Hispanic person a spic? I honestly would like your reasoning on this distinction, or a correction for me.

lol, i'm using a  sorta strawman argument for someone saying gay people don't deserve the right to be offended by the word gay, because that's just selfish, ignorant logic, and i'm demonstrating the fallacy
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 05:06:03 am by Smoothrich »
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Earthdforce

• Earl
  • Renown: 391
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Earth_Geodude_da_Defender, _RageThrower
  • IRC nick: Khalestimo#7613
« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2012, 05:04:46 am »
Whoa whoa, last I checked you weren't black, which means that's racist sir!!!! :p

Offline obitus

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2012, 05:30:13 am »

On the internet, absolutely not.  No one should be offended by words typed to them when they are typed specifically to be offensive.

As I said before, real-life social interaction is an entirely different set of principals that people treat each other with, and expecting them to be used on the internet is an exercise in futility.

Offline obitus

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2012, 05:38:54 am »
+1
Here, I've boiled everything down to a single sentence.

If you get offended by chat on the internet, the troll won.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2012, 05:43:29 am »
+1
people think they are protected and able to lose all pretence of civility when in an online environment, as if all social norms and regulatory behaviour is thrown out the window, and to an extent that is true, in that as long as we protect our anonymity and keep degrees of separation between our digital and regular lives

however every year the borders between the two are becoming more blurred, as social networking becomes an integrated part of our lives, younger generations spend more of their recreational time with internet communities..

there are a shockingly high amount on incidents where things that we once could suppose were purely "lol internet" end up having real life consequences:  harassment, relationships, suicides, business or entertainment success..

don't expect the standards that we hold of our protected internet speech to stay the same forever.  when it comes to pc game chat rooms, maybe not, and it is a bit much to expect people to act like sane human beings in many online environments.  but i certainly believe it is not naive or foolish to think people can act reprehensibly online in ways that could (or at least, should) deserve consequences
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 05:45:08 am by Smoothrich »

Offline Adalwulf

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 53
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Adalwulf
« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2012, 06:03:59 am »

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #100 on: March 27, 2012, 06:33:17 am »
+2
Such witty arguments and retorts, but let's say Rainbow killed himself and his mother decided it was over the harassment by various individuals playing this game and belonging to these forums. You might brush up on how you might be prosecuted. Especially as the LGBT community coalesces around a chance to snuff out yet another remaining form of harassment against them. You don't even need to be convicted for your life to made into a hellish nightmare as you try to defend yourself. This law review discusses what was on the books 3 years ago. I'm certain that many more states, not to mention the feds, have "caught up" to the 20 listed here.
I doubt that you would find explaining to a judge how Rainbow was to blame for being offended by the cyberbullying nearly as amusing. Your opinions don't seem to be keeping pace with the laws being created. Sure, you would probably win as things stand now. But would you want to have to?

http://www.vanderbiltlawreview.org/articles/2010/05/King-Constitutionality-of-Cyberbullying-Laws-63-Vand.-L.-Rev.-845-2010.pdf
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Adalwulf

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 27, 2012, 06:54:01 am »
Such witty arguments and retorts, but let's say Rainbow killed himself and his mother decided it was over the harassment by various individuals playing this game and belonging to these forums. You might brush up on how you might be prosecuted. Especially as the LGBT community coalesces around a chance to snuff out yet another remaining form of harassment against them. You don't even need to be convicted for your life to made into a hellish nightmare as you try to defend yourself. This law review discusses what was on the books 3 years ago. I'm certain that many more states, not to mention the feds, have "caught up" to the 20 listed here.
I doubt that you would find explaining to a judge how Rainbow was to blame for being offended by the cyberbullying nearly as amusing. Your opinions don't seem to be keeping pace with the laws being created. Sure, you would probably win as things stand now. But would you want to have to?

http://www.vanderbiltlawreview.org/articles/2010/05/King-Constitutionality-of-Cyberbullying-Laws-63-Vand.-L.-Rev.-845-2010.pdf

Not to be a dick or anything but if someone actually kills themselves for being called  a my old friend online on a game that's just retarded. People need to relax and not pay any mind to random shit some guy is saying across the world like it has any bearing to his being. Welcome to the world we live in where people talk shit online as a past time.

Maybe for some people that actually do mind it, how about a text filtering so they don't have to see what they are being called. :O
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 06:55:49 am by Adalwulf »

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 27, 2012, 07:05:21 am »
+1
The isolated example of video game server chat is one thing, and I agree anything said in a videogame should be taken with a grain of salt but even in this very game/community there have been multiple instances of people tracking down facebook/whatever else information and crossing the line into real life harassment, which we punish as harshly as we can (permaban from game and forums) without it becoming a legal issue

But you better believe if something went too far such as what turns from forum trolling into tracking down screennames, facebooks, addresses, phone numbers, etc and bigoted shit starts there, some people are susceptible to the anxiety and stress this "lol its just trolling" can cause (not necessarily to the point of suicide, but to the point that its malicious and damaging) and that is very much a crime

Offline Adalwulf

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 27, 2012, 07:11:38 am »
The isolated example of video game server chat is one thing, and I agree anything said in a videogame should be taken with a grain of salt but even in this very game/community there have been multiple instances of people tracking down facebook/whatever else information and crossing the line into real life harassment, which we punish as harshly as we can (permaban from game and forums) without it becoming a legal issue

But you better believe if something went too far such as what turns from forum trolling into tracking down screennames, facebooks, addresses, phone numbers, etc and bigoted shit starts there, some people are susceptible to the anxiety and stress this "lol its just trolling" can cause (not necessarily to the point of suicide, but to the point that its malicious and damaging) and that is very much a crime

Yes, anyone can agree to this since to go to the extent of searching people's personal data online just to get at them is quite pathetic as well and should be punished. The solution is don't go on sites like Facebook, Twitter ect. You're personal info shouldn't be put on any website :P

Offline BADPLAYERold

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 362
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PRO
  • Game nicks: BADPLAYER
« Reply #104 on: March 27, 2012, 07:19:21 am »
+1
babbys itt