Author Topic: Greatsword Build Help  (Read 4727 times)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Greatsword Build Help
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2012, 06:55:04 am »
Will 8 PS guarantee me 2-hit deaths for Medium Armored enemies?  Will 7 Athletics make the world of difference compared to 5 Athletics?

Athletics will help you more. It'll let you sneak in free hits against players when it normally wouldn't be your turn to hit and let you choose your fights. Just running 0.1% faster than the 5 guys chasing you means you won't be caught by them. Running 0.1% slower means you'll get hit, stunned and then ganged by them all. Same goes for when you chase. The difference will naturally be more than 0.1% as well.

But really, I'm not sure what you're looking for here. Most of the arguments have already been said.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • Renown: 394
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mallets and his family
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2012, 09:47:35 am »
But really, I'm not sure what you're looking for here. Most of the arguments have already been said.

Yeah... I just hate having choices!  It's the worst for me!  So indecisive!  Basically I'm hoping one of you guys would just come over to my house and click points into STR or AGI.   8-)

Thanks for the help again Xant!

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2012, 10:06:18 am »
+1
flip a coin

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2012, 03:18:39 pm »
+1
Hmm, since talking on greatswords; have you considered using a german greatsword? Two handed swords' one of the adventages over polearm is long thrust range. Also it has a very tricky animation. With 18/21 build, you can utilize from the athletics speed bonus to damage and hit like a pro. my only mw weapon is German greatsword, and I never regret it. I even use it with my 15/24 xbow/twohanded build. It is a pro weapon I believe.

Also: Never go for a sword of war. It's speed does not worth it, that it's appearance makes it an easy weapon to block. Just my personal opinion.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2012, 04:31:49 pm »
Also: Never go for a sword of war. It's speed does not worth it, that it's appearance makes it an easy weapon to block. Just my personal opinion.

Yeah, and it looks ugly compared to the Danish/German (at least I think so).  And it's really all about looking sexy on the battelfield!

Thanks for the info, will have to try the Greman.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2012, 05:41:13 pm »
Great I'm selling a +3 german at market, Go buy it now :P
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

Offline Kelden

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Kelden_Astralis
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2012, 09:58:20 pm »
I have done 15/24 and my damage output was fine using a non mw danish, if you go 15/24 use a greatsword, if it's mw it will be even better.

IF 2
PS 5
Ath 8
WM 8

Wpf adds damage and slight speed and weapon handling, it will be more noticeable with a slower greatsword.

You will have superior/= range and mobility++ over your opponents and will be able to catchup to archers and throwers in a flash, they will get maybe 1-2 shots when they see you closing and if they miss its no mercy, you can also dance around lance and sword cav allday.

Use the danish or german to take maximum effect of your range and you will need the high base damage to go with it.

If 15/24 is a little too much for you try 18/21, you will have slightly more hp and do a little bit more damage, anything less and you should change your playstyle to a more heavily armored infantry.

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2012, 12:07:12 am »
Cool, thanks for all the info guys!  As I had originally decided... I'm going with the 18/21 Build.

Sorry again for all the run around.  I just didn't think that I'd be satisfied at 18/15... and that I'd see a major flaw and it would make me choose one way or another.  But I found both damage and speed to be acceptable at that point... so I just didn't know which way to progress.  Agility it is!

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2012, 02:12:12 pm »
Cool, thanks for all the info guys!  As I had originally decided... I'm going with the 18/21 Build.

Sorry again for all the run around.  I just didn't think that I'd be satisfied at 18/15... and that I'd see a major flaw and it would make me choose one way or another.  But I found both damage and speed to be acceptable at that point... so I just didn't know which way to progress.  Agility it is!
It is a very wise choice. Perhaps the best! If you do not have any masterwork weapon, I can give you my mw german from time to time on servers if I see you. I don't use it now anyway.

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2012, 10:30:40 pm »
Athletics will help you more. It'll let you sneak in free hits against players when it normally wouldn't be your turn to hit and let you choose your fights. Just running 0.1% faster than the 5 guys chasing you means you won't be caught by them. Running 0.1% slower means you'll get hit, stunned and then ganged by them all. Same goes for when you chase. The difference will naturally be more than 0.1% as well.

Yeah, you can jump in, hiltslash-spam a dude, then run away from his comrades like a coward pro player.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2012, 04:59:18 am »
Being an 18/21 AGI Build (7 Athletics)... how much weight is too much weight?

I wear different armors depending on my multiplier.  Normally, I'm wearing Black Lamellar Vest (9.1 weight), at x1 & x2.  At x3 & above, I'm wearing the Rus Scale Armor (18.1).  For both sets, I'm wearing the Spiked Helmet (1.8), Rus Cavalry Boots (.8), & Leather Gloves (.1).

Basically, I want to know if I'm foolish for going to the Rus Scale Armor?  Should I stay lighter?  I really like that I can take licks with it.  But I'm curious if I'm really hindering myself by going this route.

I know the simple answer is... play more and find out.  But I just all-around suck still... so I'm just curious what the professional opinions will be.

Also, I like carrying the Maul (5 weight) along side my Danish GS... for when I come across shielders.  Am I foolish for bring it along, seeing it adds 5 weight?

Lastly.... just a theoretical question... I really think I look sexy in the Rus Scale Armor... if I decide I want to stay with it... would a 2-Hander with 20 or so weight be better suited for a STR build, since my running speed will be slower cause of the weight?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 05:59:28 am by Mallets »

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2012, 08:14:01 am »
Get better gauntlets, leather gloves is too low. Gauntlets is still the best armor/weight. I wouldn't go above rus scale with 18/21 build.

Offline bosco

• Count
  • Renown: 258
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
  • Steady...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2012, 05:48:09 pm »
Lastly.... just a theoretical question... I really think I look sexy in the Rus Scale Armor... if I decide I want to stay with it... would a 2-Hander with 20 or so weight be better suited for a STR build, since my running speed will be slower cause of the weight?

Maybe try a 24/15 build next? I'm currently playing one generation with 27/12 in full plate and MW Danish. In battle, it's a bit too slow to backpedal, so I'll go 24/15 next gen.

But I mostly play STR builds because there is nothing making me rage more than hitting people with weak armor on the head and them not dying.

And I'm not 1337 enough to duel 2h pros for a prolonged amount of time, so I gotta make sure they drop dead after two hits while soaking up damage myself.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 05:51:42 pm by bosco »

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2012, 06:12:10 pm »
Maybe try a 24/15 build next? I'm currently playing one generation with 27/12 in full plate and MW Danish. In battle, it's a bit too slow to backpedal, so I'll go 24/15 next gen.

But I mostly play STR builds because there is nothing making me rage more than hitting people with weak armor on the head and them not dying.

And I'm not 1337 enough to duel 2h pros for a prolonged amount of time, so I gotta make sure they drop dead after two hits while soaking up damage myself.
27/12 is not good for duels. For duels, I think AGI dominant builds have always better chance, if both players are very experienced.

27/12 however, is a great build for Sieges in my opinion. Where athletics doesn't matter much, and 9 power strike and high health makes your real tough. If you like it that way don't go for 24/15 if yopu ask me. After you hit medium armored enemies, they can be still alive with 4-5 health left. Which makes no difference between 8 PS and 6-7 PS sometimes. I know, cause I tried 24/15.

If you want a faster build, I think 21/18 or 18/21 is better. Not 100% sure which one is better, though. But I tried an arbalester with a build of 15/24 and 90 wpf in two hand. It was only one-hit weaker than 24/15 pure 2hander build, in terms of damage and survival.

Offline Vote

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2012, 02:09:45 am »
After several testings on duel server I can say that build 15/24 is not good for 1 on 1 fightings versus well armored enemies because you need many hits to get him down like 4, 5, 6... while you die in 1-3. On the other hand you can get alot of kills on battle and siege servers but mostly vs low armored enemies or gangbang. I tested that build with body armor values 55-65 and mw danish.

But Xant has right too, low athletics isnot good on a battle server because you will get ganged, imo 18/21 or 21/21 at level 30 must be best builds.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 02:12:03 am by Vote »