Author Topic: Greatsword Build Help  (Read 4468 times)

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Greatsword Build Help
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 07:51:19 pm »
Hmm there is a difference between 111 and 178 wpf. Even for 111 and 140 in my opinion. Somehow 111 might be spammed by a 178, while 140 will be not. I think, best way to learn is to try it out.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline Logen

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 385
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 09:56:21 pm »
Listen to xant he is dumb as hell he tells the truth, spam has nothing to do with wpf difference

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • Renown: 454
  • Infamy: 367
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard, ex Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Mlekce, Sergius
  • IRC nick: Mlekce
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 10:27:04 pm »
just dont bother trying 27/15 build it sucks. you still need 2-3 hits to kill archer. Total waiste of time and skills.
5 athl is too slow,5ps is also too weak.
i tried 16/24 and it was too weak,i currently have 27/11 but i was thinking to go to 15 agi but i might respec because i get outspammed every time.
18/21 is ok and 21/18 is ok too,18/18 is ok too.  No IF is also bad idea you will die from 2 hits or 2 arrows.

Offline Fartface

• Earl
  • Renown: 476
  • Infamy: 288
  • cRPG Player
  • Centurii
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deathcore,Djentcore,Deathmetal,Brutal,Slam
  • Game nicks: Growling,Grunting,Screaming,Squeeling
  • IRC nick: Fuck I love it.
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2012, 07:04:46 pm »
Also even with an mallet , in 39/3 build.
With 0 wm and only 1h ath and 111 wh wpp in tincan armours.
Unless they're hiltslashing katana spammers couldn't hit me twice in the time i slashed them once , talking about my rightswing ofcource.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline owens

• Earl
  • Renown: 436
  • Infamy: 389
  • cRPG Player
  • PK_BALLA
    • View Profile
    • Our Website
  • Faction: Persian Kittens
  • Game nicks: PK's nice guy
  • IRC nick: PK world tour pm to donate
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012, 04:15:03 am »
21/15

5ath (if using heavy armour 6ath is worthless)
5wm (Thsi is lots)
7PS (lots)
7IF (lots)
around 145wpf(at lvl 30)
This build is finished at 29 at level 30. go 5 riding or 5 PT or 5shield.

Or invest in more str this is a great build for medium to heavy armour and depending on the state of the battlefield when you reach level 30. If archery is a plague get the shield skill if throwing is ok go throwing but be wary that you will have to sacrifice wpf. Don't drop below 120. Investing in more str is sensible but leaves 1 point not used so if you mean to continue past level 31 its a good idea if not I wouldnt.

I went cav last time I used this build. Some of the Sarranid axes do serious damage from horseback but upkeep can be high when paying for your rouncey and you will be vulnerable to ranged and polearm users but for cleaning up infantry its great.
PK is back

PK is a collection of elites from throughout modern and ancient history. Giants of Calradia individually, as a group these gods of combat shatter all expectations and ascend to a higher plain of victory that only a few have seen before.

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • Renown: 394
  • Infamy: 22
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mallets and his family
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2012, 09:21:07 am »
First off... mind you, this is a STF build (so no retiring or looming, or higher levels).

So basically the consensus from everyone (but Iceman, and I'm not saying he's wrong, just that he's in the minority) is that Weapon Master is not that important.  Now that's Weapon Master... not necessarily WPF.  But with it taking so many points just to make WPF go up (in the later stages)... it's more valuable to spend that point on Power Strike, Athletics, or Iron Flesh... instead of spending a point on Weapon Master, and having it make your WPF only go up by 5 total points (which equals no damage... and the most minute increase in swing speed, if any).

So with this info... basically I see it as this.  You have STR Builds & AGI Builds.  With STR Builds you max out PS & IF... meaning your builds advantages are high damage & high HP.  With AGI Builds you basically just max out Athletics... meaning your only advantage is running speed.  To me... that's 2 advantages to 1 advantage... in favor of STR Builds.  Now not that maxing out Weapon Master for AGI is a disadvantage... is just not nearly as big as an advantage as adding points to PS, IF, & Athletics.

So with this info... you'd think the easy answer would be to go for a STR Build.  Hell 27/12 even... or 24/15 at the least.  Cause if you are only maxing out Athletics on a AGI build... and not Weapon Master... why not just go a 27/12 STR Build and really max out your PS & IF.

But here's the thing... something about running fast just seems awesome!   Is it just me?!  So I think I'm going to go with an 18/21 build.  What do guys think about this build below?

(click to show/hide)

Not the happiest about the damage output of this build (with only 6 PS).  But you can't do it all (meaning you can't make a 30/30 build, or we all would).  I'm happy with the HP (65).  I'm happy with 7 Athletics.  But I'm curious if that may be too much?  Will it actually be effective?  And I'm wonder if 5 or 6 in Athletics will be just fine.  If so, then I may would rework it as a STR Build.

The 140 WPF for 2-Handed is nice.  It's not too low, so I'm just way out sped by 170+ WPF guys (though I know the speed difference is minimal... but I suck, and can tend to swing late anyways... I'd think a little speed boost will help me somewhat).  And with a Danish GS, hopefully I'm able to do enough damage with only 6 PS.  And in truth a 21/18 build wouldn't do that much more damage (with only 1 PS more).  Now a 24/15 would... but for some reason, I just like the idea of 7 athletics.  But I'm wondering if 7 Athletics is over-kill?

And the other disadvantage to only having 18 Str, is that I can't use the Great Maul (which requires 21).  But it takes 3 slots, which wouldn't allow me to pair it with a Danish GS.  Also with the Danish GS costing 16k, I really need to keep the cost down.  Running around with a Great Maul & a Danish GS (if that was possible) would be really expensive... seeing the GM cost nearly 10k.  I think I'll just pair it with the Regular Maul which only runs at 1,500 gold.  Cost will stay down... and I'll still have a nice alternative when facing a stout Shielders.

So what do you guys think about this 18/21 build?  Is the 7 Athletics pointless (mind you I usually wear medium armor to keep cost down)?  Should I go 21/18, or even 24/15 (with 5 Athletics, which is not slow, just not fast)?

I appreciate you folks help... and all the great (very helpful) info you guys have given.

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2012, 05:29:12 pm »
Dang... this STR Build is looking nice!!!  Why do I want to run so fast (and go AGI)?!?!  Someone honestly tell me if 7 Athletics is over-kill... so I can go with this build below.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Zandieer

• Baron
  • Renown: 87
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2012, 06:10:09 pm »
Dang... this STR Build is looking nice!!!  Why do I want to run so fast (and go AGI)?!?!  Someone honestly tell me if 7 Athletics is over-kill... so I can go with this build below.

(click to show/hide)

My irl friend has been using that build for ages. And he's kicking ass. While I'm 18-21 pole with 140wpf, he is 24-15 2hand 120wpf and kicks my ass with a poleaxe. Yes, 1 wpf. He's really fast, even with 1 wpf. It's more about the player than the stats, really :wink:

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2012, 04:59:24 am »
Mallets, 7 athletics is not overkill in the least. That 18-21 build looks solid. There is no such thing as "overkill" when it comes to athletics. 7 is where you'll be slightly faster than the average player. Average athletics tends to be 5-6. The higher your athletics, the better. 8 and 9 athletics is where it really gets fun.

As for the wpf, you're not out sped by the 170 wpf guys because of their (and your) wpf. Really. You're not. It's because they're a) turning into their swings b) have their footwork down. With more athletics you can use your movement speed to hit faster. A 30 wpf difference will, quite literally, have no effect whatsoever on your swingspeed. Definitely not enough of a difference to cheat you out of your 'turn' (attack-block-attack-block rhytm).
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 05:03:41 am by Xant »
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2012, 05:18:14 am »
Awesome!  Thanks Xant!  We'll it's settled.  The 18-21 AGI Build it is then!!!

(click to show/hide)

And thanks to all you folks who've helped out with some great information.  And whether I took your advice or not... I appreciate the time you took to help!

You know... all this is kind of foolish!  I've went through all this trouble (and so did you guys) to still get slaughtered after luckily blocking someone's first attack!  :P

Oh well... maybe with this build I can go 1-5 instead of 0-5!!!   8-)

Honestly... this game is great!  I've never had so much fun at sucking!!!  Once again, thanks so much!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 05:21:55 am by Mallets »

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2012, 05:34:59 am »
Yep, go for that build and it won't be the build holding you down at least. Many of the best two hand players have used that build. Now you just need to practice! After enough playtime you'll know which way you want to tweak the build, if you do. If you feel like you're not doing enough damage/not fast enough. But 6 PS is definitely enough with a Greatsword. A masterworked sword will also practically add ~1 PS, once you get one.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2012, 08:22:23 am »
18/21 is very solid, 7 ATH is enough to be very fast even in medium-high armor (and really fast in light), but I would still watch your total weight as to not reduce your running speed too much.

Offline Fartface

• Earl
  • Renown: 476
  • Infamy: 288
  • cRPG Player
  • Centurii
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deathcore,Djentcore,Deathmetal,Brutal,Slam
  • Game nicks: Growling,Grunting,Screaming,Squeeling
  • IRC nick: Fuck I love it.
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012, 08:25:25 am »
Lower IF by  2 or 3 or the WM , believe me having a shield nowadays is so handy.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline BlackMilk

• Polearm Lover
  • Earl
  • Renown: 370
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: el_Banduri
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2012, 04:50:55 pm »
Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)

Strength: 15
Agility: 24
Hit points: 60
Skills to attributes: 8
Ironflesh: 5
Power Strike: 5
Shield: 0
Athletics: 8
Riding: 0
Horse Archery: 0
Power Draw: 0
Power Throw: 0
Weapon Master: 5
One Handed: 1
Two Handed: 148
Polearm: 1
Archery: 1
Crossbow: 1
Throwing: 1

vs.

Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)

Strength: 18
Agility: 24
Hit points: 59
Skills to attributes: 14
Ironflesh: 3
Power Strike: 6
Shield: 0
Athletics: 8
Riding: 0
Horse Archery: 0
Power Draw: 0
Power Throw: 0
Weapon Master: 0
One Handed: 1
Two Handed: 116
Polearm: 1
Archery: 1
Crossbow: 1
Throwing: 1

which one is better and why?

Offline Mallets

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2012, 04:35:29 am »
Ok... so I was suppose to with this 18/21 build I mentioned above.  Here it is for reference. 
(click to show/hide)

I really like the way that build looks.  As of now, I'm level 27, and my current build looks like so. 
(click to show/hide)

Now let me explain my issue.   Here's my dilemma... I'm actually satisfied with my incomplete 18/15 build.  I don't find any great lack in Power or Speed.  I'm satisfied with my ability to kill, and my running & swing speeds.  Of course I'd love more in both... but I can't have that.  So now... which do I improve... Power or Speed?  So now I'm torn between going the 18/21 build (above) or this 24/15 Build. 
(click to show/hide)

Now basically I've mentioned all this before... but I done so before even starting on the build.  Now I have a little experience... and here is what I'm finding with my current build.

With 6 PS, I'm finding myself killing guys decently.  One hitting cloth and some light armor guys.  And two hitting some medium armored folks (if I get lucky).

If damage seems enough, then you'd think the simple answer would be to stay with 18 STR and go 18/21.

However, I'm finding myself running just as fast as most player as well.  Mind you I'm a NA player, but I'm certainly not left behind with 5 Athletics.  And more often then not, I'm out in front, cause I'm faster than the majority of melee players.

So now at level 27, I'm at a point where I have to make a decision where my next Attribute points should go.  Do I go for 2 more PS and 10 more HP?  Or do I go for 2 more Athletics and 15 more WPF?  Basically Power or Speed?

I know, just as above, some folks will side Power... some Speed.  I'm sorry to bring it all up again.  But I'm finding my dilemma in the fact that I find my build satisfying as is.  I'm not finding much lack in my Power or Speed with an incomplete 18/15 build.

So what I need to know now is... which do you think I'd find the greatest noticeable advantage?  2 more PS & 10 HP?  Or 2 more ATH & 15 WPF?  My main question is this... which set will be the most noticeable jump from my current state?  Will 8 PS guarantee me 2-hit deaths for Medium Armored enemies?  Will 7 Athletics make the world of difference compared to 5 Athletics?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A little character info on Son_of_Mallets (my 2-Hander Build) might help you give info that would help me.

I play on NA servers.  I mainly play Battle.  At least that's what this character is for.  I'm not looking to duel (plus I suck)... but would love to have an advantage in 1-on-1 fights (who wouldn't).

I carry a Danish GS & a Maul (I like having the option of Crushthrough when facing Shielders.  So maybe the 24/15 STR Build would better).

I'm normally wear about 11.5 weight.  My armor being the Black Lamellar Vest (9.1 weight), Spiked Helmet (1.8), Khergit Leather Boots (.5), & Leather Gloves (.1).

But when I'm at x3 or above, I wear the Rus Scale Armor (18.1) for 20.5 total weight.  Hopefully when I have a good gold stockpile, I'll always wear this.

I'm just learning to block.  Over the last week, the game has slowed down significantly.  I can see attacks coming now.  Doesn't mean I win or live... but I'm getting better.

While I'm sure more PS will mean more kills.  I do like running down light/cloth armor guys who try to run away from the group (I try to stick with a group most of the time).  And if I can catch these lightly/cloth armored guys, I'll definitely be able to kill them with 6 PS (at least 2 hit them).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope all this makes sense?!  And I hope you guys can help?!  Any info and personal experience would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Mallets
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 04:42:09 am by Mallets »