Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
Re: Mauls
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2012, 02:03:41 am »
What? People are starting to complain about mauls now too? Geez, what is happening to this community?

Mauls can definitely be dangerous if teammates are helping, alone tho you cant do much and will have a hard time running away with the high weight and usually strength build. All i do against a mauler is side swing untill he dies, they usually cant attack back with their slow speed. Because of their heavy weapon you can easily outrun them if you have a balanced build so you dont have to fight them. On siege tho they can become a big problem but with a good defence you can kill them before they can hit anyone.

Maul counters almost everything though. How is it anything like your signature?

I dont see mauls countering archers/xbowmen/cav/pikes.. Maaaybe 2h/pole without shield but that depends alot on who is using it and who he is fighting so id say not. It is a good counter to melee if, like i said, is used with the help of teammates.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Aleta

• Knight
  • Renown: 32
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rhodok
  • Game nicks: Aleta, Diavolo
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2012, 02:21:28 am »
If would be more realistic if more weapons had the crushthrough ability to be honest. However, it could be less chance for it happening than it is now. Also, hits that crush through a block should deal a lot less damage than an unblocked hit, and should not be able to knock people down. What I think most people hate about the crushthough is that it deals the same damage whether you block an overhead swing or not, and you most likely get knocked to the ground making you most likely die on the hit the enemy gets on you while knocked down.

I'm not really sure if it is possible, but perhaps "nerf" the crushthough ability a bit by making it deal a lot less damage through a block than when unblocked. Also possibly giving more weapons back their crushthough ability, but with a lot smaller chance for it happening based on the weapons weight and the users strength.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 192
  • Infamy: 2038
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 04:07:17 am »
+4
They're slow as sin and you can chamber overheads if you're desperate.

You can try to chamber overhead but guess what will happen?

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2012, 04:43:25 am »
Mauls are fine. They are fantastic support weapons, but pretty terrible 1v1.

If they sideswing, block. If they overhead, spam. Or, since chances are you can move faster than them, run to your teammates. If you know what you're doing, the only time you'll die to a maul user is if you get unlucky or you're outnumbered.

Offline Gricks

• Knight
  • Renown: 58
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 08:59:45 am »
What? People are starting to complain about mauls now too? Geez, what is happening to this community?

Mauls can definitely be dangerous if teammates are helping, alone tho you cant do much and will have a hard time running away with the high weight and usually strength build. All i do against a mauler is side swing untill he dies, they usually cant attack back with their slow speed. Because of their heavy weapon you can easily outrun them if you have a balanced build so you dont have to fight them. On siege tho they can become a big problem but with a good defence you can kill them before they can hit anyone.

I dont see mauls countering archers/xbowmen/cav/pikes.. Maaaybe 2h/pole without shield but that depends alot on who is using it and who he is fighting so id say not. It is a good counter to melee if, like i said, is used with the help of teammates.

Mauls counter pikes in a 1v1. After the piker jumps, he is forced to block. And we all know what happens then. It isn't that mauls are imbalanced per say. It just a cheap and no skill build. A terrible player with a maul is still very effective.

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2012, 10:23:13 am »
Mauls are not really OP.
They are very annoying and sometimes have no counter. Thats the problem. In some occasions they are 100% win.

If CT could be chambered 100% everything would be totally fine.

Offline Kalp

• Marshall
  • Renown: 750
  • Infamy: 253
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Form ranks, you maggots!
    • View Profile
    • Kahhhaaargaar!!! Uuurrr!!!
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Kalp_the_Grey
  • IRC nick: Kalp
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 10:25:28 am »
Learn2playStopComplain
The goal of Strategus battles shouldnt be to deprive your enemies of players, but to have full roster both sides and have the gear/tactics/strategy win the day rather than lack of merc support.

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2012, 10:41:36 am »
+5
Problem with the g-maul is that it turns a shitty player that you don't really have to worry about into a juggernaut of destruction.

It's simply too good and too easy to completely rape with imho.

Now, I'd really like to see CT mechanics changed:

Make the mauls much better all around weapons, but limit CT to shields. Then you'd still have a support function (forcing people to put their shields on their backs), while stopping them from being the ridiculous bullshit that they are now.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 10:45:18 am by Dezilagel »

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Shaith

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2012, 10:53:37 am »
Problem with the g-maul is that it turns a shitty player that you don't really have to worry about into a juggernaut of destruction.

It's simply too good and too easy to completely rape with imho.

Make the mauls much better all around weapons, but limit CT to shields. Then you'd still have a support function (forcing people to put their shields on their backs), while stopping them from being the ridiculous bullshit that they are now.

Good Idea!
However i fear neither the shielders or MaulNubs will like it :/

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2012, 11:04:38 am »
+3
Im a shielder now, when i see a lone mauler i just think - easy kill. However when they are in a group or hide behind a wall.... splat. But generaly when you fight with a group of anything you tend to die, that leaves maulers hiding around corners, which leaves you a choice of not going inside the maulers cave, which practicaly leaves only one situation when maulers are dangerous - when they hide behind corners and suprise you. So i dont see the problem. Unless a lone mauler is a realy good player, but then id die to him regardless of the weapon

Conlcusion - its the person/situation/your own fail that kills you in this game, mauls are fine
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 11:06:42 am by Fluffy_Muffin »
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2012, 11:15:21 am »
+1

Now now, that's a very nice idea there.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 11:17:28 am by Christo »

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2012, 11:28:49 am »
+1
not really. crushthrough is almost as silly as polestagger is

Interesting. Didn't you convert to 1h + shield lately?
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline BlackMilk

• Polearm Lover
  • Earl
  • Renown: 370
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: el_Banduri
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2012, 11:37:33 am »
Interesting. Didn't you convert to 1h + shield lately?
Nope, still a 2hander.

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2012, 12:22:03 pm »
I really don't understand you whiners.

You whine about great maul being too accessible wanting either unsheatable or 3 slots, patch comes poof great maul 3 slots now they can't use some danish sword but have to stick with 0 or 1 slot weapons.

Now you want another nerf? It's very slow and if you don't understand speed, speed affects the blocking animation speed too! Use your fast weapons and feint, spam or kick attack them don't cry because they own you when they are in a group or get you by surprise.

A message from a someone who doesn't use a maul.

Offline BlameMeForTheNoise

• Count
  • Renown: 189
  • Infamy: 21
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Varangian Guards
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Sonjarr
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2012, 12:59:21 pm »
I really enjoy fighting against Mauls.
I have to say in the 5 minutes Gnjus concentrates actually on blocking it really can get a challenge, but most of the other dudes pick mauls and heavy armor are just easy prey.
They are slow as fuck and all dudes I encountered with mauls so far wear very heavy armor. Just backpedal and sideswing. You are much faster in running speed AND in swinging AND have a greater range.
Use it. And as I myself learned: Do not thrust-attack. Even I with my Danish and 21 agility get stunned for too long. Not only the polearms.

When you find yourself closed in anyhow circle around them.

If you abide these rules they are no problem whatsoever.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 01:00:25 pm by BlameMeForTheNoise »