Author Topic: March of the Druzhina Bears  (Read 7209 times)

Offline Tanken

• King
  • Renown: 1463
  • Infamy: 395
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Tanken
March of the Druzhina Bears
« on: March 15, 2012, 09:40:50 pm »
+6
The following is a small description of what the Druzhina Bears are currently accomplishing in the Northern Region of Calradia...

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 09:43:27 pm by Tank Burner »
Below is a Collection of Finalists in my Design my Avatar contest -- They all did Awesome!
Thanks to all of those who contributed.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
Re: March of the Druzhina Bears
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 10:04:22 pm »
+7
Tanken, your will should stand strong- we never had a chance of winning against DRZ and the rest of the UIF- I'd venture to say that nobody does. They have effectively won Strategus, because nobody NA or EU can stand against them for long, even if they can for a few battles.

However, I will never stop showing up for battles. I will never stop glancing on Lordly Rus Scale Armor, not while there is still breath left in me.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline 22nd_King_Plazek

• Baron
  • Renown: 87
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 10:06:15 pm »
People keep saying the whole UIF is attacking poor little CHAOS, but all I have seen attacking them is DRZ? I thought CHAOS were meant to be the badass Merican faction so why is it so tough to fight the most powerful European one?

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 10:11:16 pm »
People keep saying the whole UIF is attacking poor little CHAOS, but all I have seen attacking them is DRZ? I thought CHAOS were meant to be the badass Merican faction so why is it so tough to fight the most powerful European one?

Comes down to raw numbers.  Troops and money.  But you aren't retarded, so you knew that.

There's no penalty for having large amounts of land, nothing to discourage massive alliances.  So the people who have more fiefs will continue to be exponentially more powerful than the people who have less fiefs.  It's simple maths (and I'm terrible at math, so this is basically just common sense).
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Canary

• Marshall
  • Renown: 826
  • Infamy: 202
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS

Offline Tanken

• King
  • Renown: 1463
  • Infamy: 395
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tanken
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 10:15:25 pm »
+1
Below is a Collection of Finalists in my Design my Avatar contest -- They all did Awesome!
Thanks to all of those who contributed.

Offline Shik

• Duke
  • Renown: 510
  • Infamy: 90
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Gilmore Girls
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 10:17:09 pm »
+5
Actually, STR is attacking as well, and there were a couple legio attacks too. But in any case of course it's hyperbole to say it's UIF, but honestly, while chaos was the strongest NA faction, it honestly doesn't mean much at all especially because NA is bad at strat. Also, Chaos also exhausted half their armies in an ongoing war with hospitallers/occitan when DRZ attacked fresh with months of stockpiled stuff. You can talk shit and troll if you want, I'm just going to enjoy the xp from the huge battles while it lasts.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 10:18:28 pm by Shik »

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 10:27:14 pm »
+2

DRZ has more members than us (about 20 more according to the Battles tab info, though probably about a 3rd of ours aren't actually active, also), and way more stockpiled in terms of troops, gold, and gear from what we've seen; they haven't had any reason not to stockpile, as there isn't anyone who can challenge them in production terms, and there's nobody who would have any reason to want to if it would draw the ire of their allies. I mean look at that boss, relatively safe area for caravans to travel. From the desert, all the way up to the Greys, with only one river hazard area. That's all allied land, right? Jesus christ m8, talk about a good haul.

Also, both the Union (@ Mechin) and Legio (@ Rduna, still sitting there with another 1k army) have attacked our fiefs if you weren't paying attention! The highest tier armor we can consistently afford to roll around in and craft is Lordly Green Tunic Over Mail, and all of our economic efforts were up until less than a week ago aimed at funding armies we were sending at Hospitaller lands in the steppe. I'm a little behind on the other side of the map, who has DRZ been fighting lately that has similarly effected their output?

Anyway, this isn't a SCRIM or something, so any baddassery doesn't apply to it as much- this is a production war, and we can't keep up, plain and simple. We'll be outgeared and underfunded in every conflict unfortunately.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 10:28:47 pm by Malaclypse »
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 01:00:14 am »
+4
As long as I have a weapon in my hand, and the magical number in the top corner that keeps returning me from Valhalla, I will fight on.

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 01:13:34 am »
Just so you know, "Fief count" doesn't matter as much as "willingness to engage in long range trading".

As I said in another thread, you go over to the EU side of the map and there are ant trails of nothing but trade caravans going back and forth uncontested across the map.

For that you need:

* A lot of people.  They can be mostly AFK.  They can be your facebook friends who never play the game except to log in once a week.  You just need warm bodies to craft goods and fork them over.

* A caravan runner to take goods across the map to sell.

* Enough fiefs to keep your people busy.  1 fief per, I dunno, 15 members is probably plenty.

Having 30 members in 2 fiefs is far superior to having 10 members in 10 fiefs.

Having 150 people who log in once per week is far superior to having 50 people who loyally play for 2 hours every day.

Having an uncontested trade route halfway across the map is far superior to sitting in a 25 gold good fief and doing craft-and-sell.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 01:25:13 am »
+5
Incidentally, Chaos vs Druzhina, I watched the battles and have a comment/suggestion for Chaos:

Split up more.

The usual thinking is "group up and fight together".  This is not the CHAOS way and you suffer for trying it.  Druzhina has more ranged and more polearms.  CHAOS has much better individual skirmishers (especially when playing on NA).  I watch a 10 vs 10 engagement end up with CHAOS being wiped but then I watch a solo CHAOS guy trying to sneak around the side kill 6 people before he finally gets shot to death with arrows.

Basically you guys aren't good at working together and Druzhina's strategy relies on them working together.  Therefore a possible solution is, well....chaos.  If you spread out, some of you will get massacred by Druzhina pikeman clumps but around the edges where other CHAOS members are able to fight people in 1's and 2's, you do well.  And while conventional wisdom is that "streaming into the fight is bad", it might be what CHAOS needs to do -- not stream straight back into the central grinder, but basically everyone run in different directions -- enemy archers have no crowd to fire into (where they miss their target but hit someone else anyway) and Druzhina pikemen aren't good if they get spread thin.  They want to fight clump to clump, not man to man.

Their best defense to this would be to stay in a clump, but then they can't protect their archers as well as if they ran out to meet you, and they can't protect their siege shields, weapon racks and weapon depot as well either.

In the battles I watched, CHOAS would group up and charge, then regroup and charge again and during the regroups, Druzhina was running out to grab weapons, drop them in a central location and someone's full time job was to stuff them back into the weapon rack.  This person was completely unmolested as the clump vs clump battle raged a safe distance away.  They kept that weapon rack running for 3/4ths of the fight, only losing it when CHAOS lost cohesion and started trying more flanking maneuvers by the 1's and 2's, which Druzhina had to counter by clumping up, forcing them to fight right on top of their archers and weapon rack.

In conclusion, CHAOS is using Druzhina tactics but they aren't as good at it because they lack polearms and ranged.

CHAOS should try fighting using "chaos" tactics.  Your strength is individual dueling.  Your weakness is group vs group.  If you can't figure out how to quickly improve your weaknesses, then maybe you can find a way to play more to your strengths.

(Also, if you would supply your armies with a small number of heavy throwing axes, I would totally have killed those spawn camping horses...)
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline TurmoilTom

• King
  • Renown: 1089
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Doesn't really play that much anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 01:28:34 am »
Your strength is individual dueling.

To be entirely honest, I completely agree with Slamz here. I could always tell that Chaos was almost entirely composed of duelists.

Offline RibaldRon

• Baron
  • Renown: 144
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
  • why do butts
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: LLJK_RibaldRon
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 01:32:08 am »
We basically WERE using CHAOS tactics, but we were finally clashing with an army that was well equipped and coordinated.  :lol:

Couldn't help but notice who the guys on the edges of the fight were when we killed them.  :mrgreen:

Do consider that the roster was not ENTIRELY comprised of CHAOS, and in what battles I've done with CHAOS, they've all played about the same.

.. in all seriousness though, we did VERY WELL, considering.  If we skirmished and the front line broke, the archers would have had free shot into the spawn.  Trust me I thought about what could have been done differently but that would have been a mistake.

Considering the roster messup(s) during most of this, you can't really say our play was poor.  We held our own with a lot of disadvantages.

Also a lot of the gear was looted, I think, and there are not many throwers on NA..  sorry bout the lack of axes  :lol:
signature removed: annoying

USA USA USA

Offline dynamike

• King
  • Renown: 1212
  • Infamy: 187
  • Let's be friends again?
    • View Profile
    • The Remnants Clan Website
  • Faction: Stratia
  • Game nicks: Remnant_dynamike
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 01:39:25 am »
Incidentally, Chaos vs Druzhina, I watched the battles and have a comment/suggestion for Chaos:

Split up more.

The usual thinking is "group up and fight together".  This is not the CHAOS way and you suffer for trying it.  Druzhina has more ranged and more polearms.  CHAOS has much better individual skirmishers (especially when playing on NA).  I watch a 10 vs 10 engagement end up with CHAOS being wiped but then I watch a solo CHAOS guy trying to sneak around the side kill 6 people before he finally gets shot to death with arrows.

Basically you guys aren't good at working together and Druzhina's strategy relies on them working together.  Therefore a possible solution is, well....chaos.  If you spread out, some of you will get massacred by Druzhina pikeman clumps but around the edges where other CHAOS members are able to fight people in 1's and 2's, you do well.  And while conventional wisdom is that "streaming into the fight is bad", it might be what CHAOS needs to do -- not stream straight back into the central grinder, but basically everyone run in different directions -- enemy archers have no crowd to fire into (where they miss their target but hit someone else anyway) and Druzhina pikemen aren't good if they get spread thin.  They want to fight clump to clump, not man to man.

Their best defense to this would be to stay in a clump, but then they can't protect their archers as well as if they ran out to meet you, and they can't protect their siege shields, weapon racks and weapon depot as well either.

In the battles I watched, CHOAS would group up and charge, then regroup and charge again and during the regroups, Druzhina was running out to grab weapons, drop them in a central location and someone's full time job was to stuff them back into the weapon rack.  This person was completely unmolested as the clump vs clump battle raged a safe distance away.  They kept that weapon rack running for 3/4ths of the fight, only losing it when CHAOS lost cohesion and started trying more flanking maneuvers by the 1's and 2's, which Druzhina had to counter by clumping up, forcing them to fight right on top of their archers and weapon rack.

In conclusion, CHAOS is using Druzhina tactics but they aren't as good at it because they lack polearms and ranged.

CHAOS should try fighting using "chaos" tactics.  Your strength is individual dueling.  Your weakness is group vs group.  If you can't figure out how to quickly improve your weaknesses, then maybe you can find a way to play more to your strengths.

(Also, if you would supply your armies with a small number of heavy throwing axes, I would totally have killed those spawn camping horses...)

Thank you for the suggestion, we may try that out in future battles. At this point, any improvement helps  :wink:
For while the fire in the heart of a single Remnant still burns... can Stratia truly have fallen?

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 01:41:48 am »
Incidentally, that's how I managed to go 33:12 in the Union vs Chaos fight.  I am not a 33:12 player (especially without my beloved MW Heavy Throwing Axes), but I kept wandering off to the side, getting away from the crowds where I would invariably get to slash a couple people in the back who didn't see me coming and then get in a couple of duels against laggy EU players before the execution squad would show up.

In the battle I watched, I saw TurmoilTom and Matey doing basically that as well, and at worst it seemed they'd kill 1 or 2 people before getting ganged up on and at best they'd slash 4 archers to death before the real fighting even started.

I could be off in my thinking, but I'm wondering what would happen if CHAOS basically said, "Everyone who feels confident soloing, go solo.  Run around the sides, whatever, cause trouble and ignore all orders from here on out.  Everyone else fight as a clump and listen to orders."  Ideally you'd end up with no more than 50% fighting as a clump and the rest forcing the enemy to spread out and watch their edges.  I don't know how well "total chaos and mayhem" would work, where everyone fights in groups of no more than 1-3 people, but it would certainly be interesting to see, and might be worth a shot.

As NH, I would not use this tactic because we are better cluster fighters than solo fighters.

As CHAOS, I think it might be your game.
Norse Horde