Author Topic: Need advice on 1h Cav build  (Read 2841 times)

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
Re: Need advice on 1h Cav build
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 01:29:23 pm »
You could lose your 5 athletics and 5 WM and throw some of it at STR to get another power strike, spend the rest on IF if youve got no where else to put it. You dont need athletics or WM, i have no athletics and can fight on foot just fine. Also about swords, cut damage really is just crap, and if you hit someone with alot of armor even if you have 10 PS its not going to do much, unless you just wanna kill archers i wouldn't use a sword, or atleast use a longsword. Also 1h cav is hard at first you gota stick with it if you actually wanna do 1h cav. If your using a 1h it doesnt matter if you cant thrust, when fighting other cav you should t bone them and spam the shit out of them they got a lance they cant hit you back.

Having no athletics can be fine when you get in a fight after being dismounted, but you will be next to useless in maps where you can't use your horse. On top of that, if you survive a bit after being dismounted, that 0 athletics will get you overwhelmed fairly quickly, as you can't prevent anyone from circling you by backpeddaling.
The longsword get's a rather large (30% I think) damage penalty when used with a shield, making it's effective damage much lower than that of an arabian cav sword or a nordic champion's sword. The speedbonus from being on horseback also increase your damage substantially. You won't be killing tincans in 1 hit, but I've yet to see one survive 3 hits with good speedbonus.
On foot it will take a few hits to kill one, but with my 18/18 build I can kill them just fine.
The use of thrusting as a 1h/cav player on horseback is not for fights against lancers, it's to kill other 1h/cav. The reach on the stab is quite long and you can often kill the enemy bfore they can reach you with their swing. When using a long espada, you can use the thrust to do high damage stabs against tincan infantry.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Darkoveride

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
  • Steppe armor best armor
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans.
  • Game nicks: GK_Darko, Commissar Darko
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 01:33:27 pm »
Well for 1hander cav build i would say dont worry too much about your athletics cause 70% of the time you wont get up when dehorsed to m ake use of that speed , but have higher ironflesh and good shield skill is good idea, it all comes down to what kind of infantry fighter you are.

Aside from that you got a nice solid build. weapons wise everything "dig" said is fine, i tend to favor long arming sword currently mainly as i dont see the point of the extra cost of knightly. rouncey is a good solid horse you just have to be more cautious, but its a good horse to learn on as it will allow you to learn the best ways to tackle different targets. Then you get more confident and can afford the up keep , which is 1600 odd gold switch to destrier and you will be able to take a few more risks and more easily go toe to toe with cav.
Fighting cav isnt easy for 1handers but if you team up with other cav then you can be quite effective.

BUBASTAN FOR LIFE

Offline Tore

• Item Manager
  • Renown: 882
  • Infamy: 329
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 02:49:34 pm »
If you're a hybrid, ranged or use something like a Long Maul, it's good to put points in WM. I have builds that use WM and those that don't. It all depends on what you're trying to do. I just think dumping 5 points into weapon master for 30 WPF is a bad investment.

this

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2012, 03:51:45 pm »
I personally really love having my athletics maxed as cavalry.  It's just so nice being able to run around on foot when you're dismounted.  There's maps where I roll infantry (not to mention going infantry is a good way to make money), and the most important reason for me, strategus.  Strategus battles are so much fun and you get a lot of experience fighting in them. 
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Fartface

• Earl
  • Renown: 476
  • Infamy: 288
  • cRPG Player
  • Centurii
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deathcore,Djentcore,Deathmetal,Brutal,Slam
  • Game nicks: Growling,Grunting,Screaming,Squeeling
  • IRC nick: Fuck I love it.
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 08:02:35 pm »
+1
i use 21/15
7 if
7 ps
5 shield
5 ath
5 riding
0 wm.
102 1h wpp
50 pole wpp
Still get 24-3 score , on foot with heraldic tranny so wpp is overrated,

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 08:37:54 pm »
i use 21/15
7 if
7 ps
5 shield
5 ath
5 riding
0 wm.
102 1h wpp
50 pole wpp
Still get 24-3 score , on foot with heraldic tranny so wpp is overrated,

Armour crutcher...  :wink:

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Lemmy_Winks

• Count
  • Renown: 241
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lemmy_Winks
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 08:41:36 pm »
Having no athletics can be fine when you get in a fight after being dismounted, but you will be next to useless in maps where you can't use your horse. On top of that, if you survive a bit after being dismounted, that 0 athletics will get you overwhelmed fairly quickly, as you can't prevent anyone from circling you by backpeddaling.
The longsword get's a rather large (30% I think) damage penalty when used with a shield, making it's effective damage much lower than that of an arabian cav sword or a nordic champion's sword. The speedbonus from being on horseback also increase your damage substantially. You won't be killing tincans in 1 hit, but I've yet to see one survive 3 hits with good speedbonus.
On foot it will take a few hits to kill one, but with my 18/18 build I can kill them just fine.
The use of thrusting as a 1h/cav player on horseback is not for fights against lancers, it's to kill other 1h/cav. The reach on the stab is quite long and you can often kill the enemy bfore they can reach you with their swing. When using a long espada, you can use the thrust to do high damage stabs against tincan infantry.

The only maps you cant use a horse on are seige maps, which i dont play them, and i dont know why a cav player would want to play seige in the first place. Backpedlars still have to come in range to hit you, u just block their attack and strike back, not to mention you cant backpedal faster than someone can run forward reguardless of athletics hold down your w key you should be fine. They cant run around you if you have a shield, just turn its not hard. There is no damange pentalty for longswrod/monringstar being used 1h, its swing speed penalty, and speed is not that big of a deal on horseback if your a good player.

Yes i one shot strength crutching tin cans with my morningstar every time i have decent speed, with no speed i two shot them or if they are slighty wounded i still one shot them. Any decent player is not goign to let you hit them 3 times with a one hand weapon, most players have 2h/poles and the 1hs can still easily get you, its critical to one shot people as much as possible. And as far as killing other cav, if your 1h cav your job is NOT to kill other cav, your job is to completely avoid other cav and kill the enemy infatnry. Even then you dont want to be stabbing people from behind like your a lancer cav, and if a 1h cav is trying to do that to you then just t bone them, they cant hit and you can hit their horse in the head and kill it easily.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 08:57:33 pm by Lemmy_Winks »

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 09:07:58 pm »
Pretty good insight lemmy.

Even as lancer cav your goal should really never be to go 1v1 against other cavalry (going 5 v 1 against other cav can be good though).  1v1 even as lancer cav you're still looking at a 50% chance of dying, one of you is going  to die most likely. 

My "theory" for lancer cav (at least that I try to go by is this):  Run interference on enemy cav to keep them away from your ground troops (especially the archers and people who get separated from the group).   If I need to engage other cavalry it's mainly because they're attacking my teammates, and I try to aim for their horse (generally it depends on situation) and try to dismount them.  I will then move on because they have been neutralized.  Big pet peeve of mine is when friendly lancer cav kills an enemy horse and then ends up getting dismounted going for the kill on the guy they just dismounted.

The main bulk of my targets as lancer cav is and should always be enemy ground troops.  That's where cavalry devastates.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2012, 10:24:32 pm »
my 1h cav build is this

18-18
6IF
6PS
5shield
3 Ath
6 riding
3 wpm

130ish wpf

My gear

Champion Rouncy
Lordly Haubergeon
MP Dark Red Heavy Norman Shield
Lordly Gilded hourglass gauntlets
MW Nordic champion sword

i find my build has good power from Horseback and is also very nice on foot. You might not be able to use normal rouncy for long and may want to get heavier armour if its unloomed
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk