Author Topic: Need advice on 1h Cav build  (Read 2845 times)

Offline k4ts0u

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Jabbar_Katsou
Need advice on 1h Cav build
« on: March 14, 2012, 07:48:52 pm »
Hello ,
I want to try 1h cavalary this gen and i have some questions. Note that i dont have much money so i need to be able to repair my gear with what i gain. Also build inputs are welcome.

1)Should i use wpm?

2)Which 1h swords are mostly used and why?

3)Which horse should i use?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
Re: Need advice on 1h Cav build
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 07:54:45 pm »
dont do cav if you are poor, under 50k or so.

Yes, WPF = more dmg

NCS, ACS, KAS & Shaska are probably the best swords.  I've seen some goofballs use Long Espada and do decent.  Although Scimitars do alright vs infantry, you are at a big disadvantage not having a thrust attack to ward off enemy cav.

Destrier is easy #1.  Well rounded, tough enough to take some hits even if you get reared, and good bump damage.

Offline MR_FISTA

• Baron
  • Renown: 97
  • Infamy: 81
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Prepare your angus
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoW
  • Game nicks: SoW_MR_FISTA_the_Retribution
  • IRC nick: SoW_MR_FISTA
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 07:56:42 pm »
The most important factor is the horse, you need something that suits your riding style.

As for weapons I see many people using scimitars, Arabian straight swords and other swords with decent length.

Personally I'd be interested to see the effectiveness of a weapon with knock down such as the war hammer or military hammer.

I could imagine something like that would be god damn annoying for most infantry.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 07:57:18 pm »
Or just use a lance and have a 1h as your side arm :)

If you're determined to gimp yourself using 1h on cav, then digglez is a good person to get advice from.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 07:59:25 pm »
The most important factor is the horse, you need something that suits your riding style.

As for weapons I see many people using scimitars, Arabian straight swords and other swords with decent length.

Personally I'd be interested to see the effectiveness of a weapon with knock down such as the war hammer or military hammer.

I could imagine something like that would be god damn annoying for most infantry.

Blunt weapons are just a gimmick.  If you are good 1h cav you should be bump slashing, which would knock them down anyways.  Bumps should be doing 1/3 or more of your dmg as a 1h'er, so you dont need a knockdown weapon.  You need something long to reach enemies, especially lil agi whores and archers that can easily outmanuever the reach of a 80 length blunt weapon

Offline k4ts0u

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 08:13:00 pm »
I have around 70k but i dont want to be losing money because that wont last long.What about this build?
(click to show/hide)

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 08:17:13 pm »
I have around 70k but i dont want to be losing money because that wont last long.What about this build?
(click to show/hide)

thats fine, although I'd take a point off shield and put it into IF.

To save money you can use rouncey with 1x or 2x or wait for other cav to die and steal their horses.  Dont underestimate your power as a distraction, you dont have to be the one doing the killing or charging to be useful for your team.  I cant count the number of times me riding behind an enemy and distracting them with an attack posture has gotten them killed by my infantry guys that snuck up behind them.

Offline k4ts0u

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 08:25:10 pm »
Thanks a lot for the replies.I really apreciate that!

Offline Tore

• Item Manager
  • Renown: 882
  • Infamy: 329
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 09:13:09 pm »
Take away the 5 WM points and put them in IF.

There is only 30 1h wpf difference between 0 and 5 VM, nothing..

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 09:49:47 pm »
Take away the 5 WM points and put them in IF.

There is only 30 1h wpf difference between 0 and 5 VM, nothing..

Going from 120 to 150 1h WPF when using a shield is quite noticeable.  You're able to get in counter-attacks easier and can really surprise people with how fast you swing swords.  Anyone over like a 50 ping benefits greatly.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 10:05:30 pm »
I'd agree, going from 120 to 150 WPF in any weapon is going to see a noticeable speed difference.   Not to mention less upkeep chance, and more damage.  If you're splitting WPF into two skills, then WM isn't that huge of a deal (I'd still recommend 4 or so).
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 12:43:21 am »
+1
The difference in damage between 5 WM and 0 WM is about 1 point. The speed difference is also barely noticeable. I can still spam the shit out of people with 0 WM. The only real difference you're going to notice is upkeep. You'll end up paying a lot more with 0 WM.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 02:43:27 am »
The difference in damage between 5 WM and 0 WM is about 1 point. The speed difference is also barely noticeable. I can still spam the shit out of people with 0 WM. The only real difference you're going to notice is upkeep. You'll end up paying a lot more with 0 WM.

you are also an agi build and use 99 speed italian sword, not a 97 or slower speed cav sword

Offline Lemmy_Winks

• Count
  • Renown: 241
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lemmy_Winks
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 04:29:58 am »
Due to my low WPF i use a short sword as a side sword. When i get dismounted i pull that out and fight with it, its got 103 speed and is cheap. IF isnt going to help you much, 1h cav is purely about power. Its alot harder to play than lancer cav and is weak against other cavalry, but with my mighty morning star and its 41 pierce damage i do alot more damage than even a couched lance, but then again the shorter the weapon is and the slower it is the harder it is to use, so start out with a 1h weapon. Maybe move up to that when/if you get good enough. If you hit somone and dont kill them your not going to get another chance, killing someone who knows your coming is hard to do unless your fairly good so power is important.

You could lose your 5 athletics and 5 WM and throw some of it at STR to get another power strike, spend the rest on IF if youve got no where else to put it. You dont need athletics or WM, i have no athletics and can fight on foot just fine. Also about swords, cut damage really is just crap, and if you hit someone with alot of armor even if you have 10 PS its not going to do much, unless you just wanna kill archers i wouldn't use a sword, or atleast use a longsword. Also 1h cav is hard at first you gota stick with it if you actually wanna do 1h cav. If your using a 1h it doesnt matter if you cant thrust, when fighting other cav you should t bone them and spam the shit out of them they got a lance they cant hit you back.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 04:35:24 am by Lemmy_Winks »

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 01:08:51 pm »
+1
you are also an agi build and use 99 speed italian sword, not a 97 or slower speed cav sword

My athletics are higher than average, but I'm actually a balanced build. I also use a 94 speed military hammer. 97 speed is still really, really fast. That's also why there is barely a benefit from WPF. The faster the weapon, the worse the speed increase from WPF is. In my opinion if you are using a single weapon class that isn't ranged and you're not using a slow weapon, WM is a bad investment.

If you're a hybrid, ranged or use something like a Long Maul, it's good to put points in WM. I have builds that use WM and those that don't. It all depends on what you're trying to do. I just think dumping 5 points into weapon master for 30 WPF is a bad investment.