Author Topic: Danger! inflation  (Read 764 times)

Offline Hobb

• Earl
  • Renown: 489
  • Infamy: 96
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
Danger! inflation
« on: March 14, 2012, 07:16:56 pm »
the new armors are badass!!!!
like seriously there are many awesome new sets of armor in the last patch

so who wants to pay the big bucks for the old armor????

who wants to buy loompoints for this new stuff??

you see wear im getting here. obviously the demand for the new armors is going to be high, the supply is going to be low

Result: loompoint price hikes (this wouldnt be a problem if in the weeks after armor releases the prices went back down btw)

i propose a conversion method to trade ur +3s for +2s but onlly on the new armors, and only for a month or 2 after there release

the problem is this prob wont b implemeted fast enough :cry: say hello to the 800k loompoint

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Danger! inflation
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 07:25:32 pm »
You don't understand the market. As long as people are willing to pay 800k for a loompoint, that will be its price. The question is: how much is not having to play from 1 to 31 worth in gold? The answer is: probably a lot more than 800k.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Hobb

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 07:46:01 pm »
You don't understand the market. As long as people are willing to pay 800k for a loompoint, that will be its price. The question is: how much is not having to play from 1 to 31 worth in gold? The answer is: probably a lot more than 800k.

i assume u mean that you can make over 800k in 1 generation?? i dont think you could make half that with even a leeching loadout

higher loom prices are bad for the community. it drags the prices up for everything
meanwhile the amount of money made while playing crpg stays the same

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 07:56:19 pm »
Loompoint price premiums might go up but I don't think it will be inflationary especially if people start to dump a lot of their old loomed armours on the market at discount. That's just an increase the spread for variable point premium compared to already loomed items, not inflation itself.

Also, you can plan around inflation if you know it's happening, the #1 rule would be don't sit on cash. You have only yourself to blame if you are sitting on 5 million gold... put your money into items, their value will rise with inflation. It might be slow to trade them when you need to, but at least you won't have your gold pile eaten by inflation.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 08:01:51 pm »
i assume u mean that you can make over 800k in 1 generation?? i dont think you could make half that with even a leeching loadout

higher loom prices are bad for the community. it drags the prices up for everything
meanwhile the amount of money made while playing crpg stays the same

The main problem with rising loom prices is people can sell loompoints for huge sums and then easily afford to finance a long time of running around in heavy gear they would otherwise not be able to afford with just gameplay ticks. So a wrench gets thrown into the entire concept of maintanence being used to balance gear on the field.

The devs need to look at adjusting all prices upwards. Maybe up gold per tick by 50% and all base item prices by 50%. To bring some balance back.

Offline Hobb

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 08:17:50 pm »
Loompoint price premiums might go up but I don't think it will be inflationary especially if people start to dump a lot of their old loomed armours on the market at discount. That's just an increase the spread for variable point premium compared to already loomed items, not inflation itself.

Also, you can plan around inflation if you know it's happening, the #1 rule would be don't sit on cash. You have only yourself to blame if you are sitting on 5 million gold... put your money into items, their value will rise with inflation. It might be slow to trade them when you need to, but at least you won't have your gold pile eaten by inflation.

it will be interesting to see what happens. you kind of contradicted yourself, at least with armors.
1- if you put ur money into items and a patch with 25 armors is released. everything gets affected.
/a  +3 heraldic mail is worth less today than it was a week ago, because the demand for it is less

2- the only logical thing to do is sell your loompoint, even if you dont want a new armor

3- the more looms being sold, the higher the price gets
/meanwhile everything else is worth less, until the demand for the new stuff levels out
**however the price for a loom never lowers back down, and their increased prices for items accross the board

result: inflation, market stagnation (if thats a word) , and newer players always having less than than the older players because of the inflation

and....
The main problem with rising loom prices is people can sell loompoints for huge sums and then easily afford to finance a long time of running around in heavy gear they would otherwise not be able to afford with just gameplay ticks. So a wrench gets thrown into the entire concept of maintanence being used to balance gear on the field.

The devs need to look at adjusting all prices upwards. Maybe up gold per tick by 50% and all base item prices by 50%. To bring some balance back.

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 08:31:20 pm »
it will be interesting to see what happens. you kind of contradicted yourself, at least with armors.
1- if you put ur money into items and a patch with 25 armors is released. everything gets affected.

patch speculation is a different situation.

Cash protects you against radical patch changes, but opens you up to inflation erosion.

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 11:17:49 pm »
If you want to help curb inflation you need to introduce less, not more, money into the game, which would only hurt newbies. 

It doesn't matter what you do to gold, people will sell looms for the price people are willing to pay.  You could give every cRPG player 1 million gold and loom prices would immediately double (at least) because the value of 1 million gold suddenly means nothing.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 03:25:24 pm »
I think the inflation is completely ridiculous. 600-700k for a loompoint, thats about 4 times as much money as I would make in a generation. And I use 25k gear, who are all these complete moneywhores that are willing to pay that much? Think I am just going to retire some more, even though I absolutely hate it.

Offline RibaldRon

• Baron
  • Renown: 144
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
  • why do butts
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: LLJK_RibaldRon
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 12:56:53 am »
People have been sitting on cash.  People want new armors.

Loom prices will go down eventually.

Consider this a good time to BUY BUY BUY as the price of loom POINTS has gone up while the price of existing looms has gone DOWN.

New armors are good looking but soon enough the prices will go back to being about the stats, and to a lesser extent, which has nice stats AND looks nice.  :mrgreen:
signature removed: annoying
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

USA USA USA