Author Topic: Get this broken balance fixed!  (Read 5758 times)

Offline Tomas

• Marshall
  • Renown: 718
  • Infamy: 217
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Fallen Brigade Website
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Tomas
Re: Get this broken balance fixed!
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2012, 02:10:55 pm »
+1
I like banner balance as it is although I agree that clans should be able to limit access to their banner somehow.  However it will need to be done in such a way that linked clans and cross clan friends can still switch to each others banners.  Quite often if there are no other Fallens online and I see a bunch of GK or HRE players I will go and play with them in their TS and I think it is important that this is still allowed to happen.

As an extra I would like to see there being a random chance of being rewarded in some way if you ever actually do spend an hour actively fighting but never getting above a x2.  Some alternative chadz text that says "Your patience has been rewarded by the almighty chadz and he has thrown a gold bar worth 10k at the back of your head from on high" :D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 02:12:13 pm by Tomas »

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2670
  • Infamy: 2214
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2012, 06:19:53 pm »
If banners used by clan (most of the banner available) become restricted, what will randomers use as a banner. Will they implement one banner for all randomers. How will teams look in that case. All randomers under let's say white flag and all the clans on the other side? It that the solution you all seek. There are still many clanless people playing, if you force them to play under the same banner, you'll just fuck them even more and eventually many of them will quit playing, some will form clans but many will quit.

And about clans.. it's a good thing apart from strategus we don't have clan vs clan skirmish mod. I was playing a game where at first situation was similar (actually way worse than what we have in cRPG) and then clan vs clan feature got implemented. Only two clans were fighting each other, one was the best atm and second was still in the making. After some time second clan became better than the first, first quit and for a period of six months no one had the balls to play against new best clan. Only people who did that were we, crazy people from Balkans who became second best clan (although there was less than ten people in our clan) and guess what? No one wanted to play against us. Biggest clan, mexican clan (game had only NA server) which had more than 50 active members were biggest pussies in the whole game.

From what I hear it's similar situation in Strategus, no one has balls to attack other clans. Everyone is part of one huge coalition. Pacifism at its best, in a game about medieval wars and battles...

With dedicated clan skirmish game mode it would be even worse, you don't want to see it, believe me.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 06:21:09 pm by Leshma »

Offline Bongo Fury

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2012, 06:47:54 pm »
Clanned player: "NO U, nothing wrong with banner balance, Get a clan, or use our banner, or be farmed!"

*3 months later*

Clanned player: "muhahahah.........wait....where did everyone go?"

*Tumbleweed*

Think about what your saying and your actions.

Offline MadeForFighting

• Knight
  • Renown: 75
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Wabbajack
  • IRC nick: TrueThing
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2012, 01:50:41 am »
+1
You know, banner balance is only one of the issues that people have to face. In my opinion a bigger issue is the mentality of people that actually supports "us" (big, more or less organized battle groups consisting of clan members) in the stomping. People doing the banner leeching are a perfect example, and before in this thread it was mentioned that "out of 15 byz banners only 9 of them are real and a real threat, the rest are banner leechers who are not dangerous" - nothing more wrong, those guys become twice more dangerous than other randomers, and here is why : people follow the "big guys" around. Often I see people outside my clan but with our banner sticking more or less around us and helping us greatly just by being there. Thanks to those random additions to our already intimidating group we become an even bigger force, they stick to us so it gives the whole team a bit of organisation - battle servers are often won by simple sticking together and picking off the small, seperated groups of the opposing team. The banner-leeching randomers are just as a big problem as clan-member stacking, because as long as they keep around the experienced and organised group - they automatically become a part of the "rape train". They may not even kill anything, but they provide "cannon fodder" and make the group look more scary. How often did you see battles lost because when two groups meet one of them has a bunch of people who decide to retreat, misjudging the situation, and end up as two smaller groups completly dominated by the big one that stuck together? A lot. All the time. And stacking banners just plain helps people feel like a single unit. There is no mechanic going wrong, no system or math - its just the people.
Hard to blame anyone for doing that, to be honest. Hell, I've been "raised" in the cRPG times when there was no autoexp and we would get exp and gold by being around kills. And as a low level newbie with a low and cheap equipment what would I do? Follow the big guys! Stick with the big crowd, stick with the tincans, stick with the organised clan squads - because around those people die. And people going down is fun, its exp and its gold. The first thing I learned in cRPG was how to recognize the groups that net a lot of kills and follow them around. Something similiar happens here, people want stuff to die, they want the exp and gold going, they stick to the strong guys...and make them even stronger by that.

Also, Gnjus is lovely.

Edit:
Also, the whole problem seems to be a bit exaggerated. Byzantiums, even when there's a lot of us, often get stomped by the opposite teams.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 02:00:20 am by MadeForFighting »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Buboes, phlegm, blood and guts! Boils, bogeys, rot and pus! Blisters, fevers, weeping sores! From your wounds the fester pours!

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2012, 08:24:44 am »
Clanned player: "NO U, nothing wrong with banner balance, Get a clan, or use our banner, or be farmed!"

*3 months later*

*Tumbleweed*

I see this as filtering out the whiners

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2012, 11:11:12 am »
I see this as filtering out the whiners

Indeed: You dont see so many players in other games crying cause of team stompage. Cause they realise the fault is not with balance, it is with themselves. Get better. Learn to kill 5 guys at once if need be.

Or, you know, join a server without bannerbalance :D

Also, if you are ONLY having fun by winning, or you only play for mutliplier, you arent playing at all.
I don't know enough

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2012, 03:50:40 pm »
Banner balance is completely unfair when it stacks an entire clan vs a bunch of new players / peasants / disorganized people. I say this as somebody who usually gets to roll an x5 when there are 10-15 Chaos folks on.

x5 steamrolls are not fun, regardless of which side you are on. The primary goal of the autobalance algorithm should be to get the odds of winning as close to 50% for each team as is possible (ideally; obviously that isn't trivial to accomplish). Banner balance should be a secondary concern.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 03:54:10 pm by Vodner »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2012, 03:53:08 pm »

*3 months later*

*Tumbleweed*

Think about what your saying and your actions.

And a year later, I have yet to see that tumbleweed. Try again.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • Renown: 206
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2012, 04:17:30 pm »
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
<dexxtaa> I just saw nakey ladies and I left
<@Fasader> dexxtaa is clearly gay

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1250
  • Infamy: 1245
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2012, 05:41:44 pm »
Only time I think that banner balance has stopped working is when it puts all clans on one team (Byzantium, Druzhina, Guards and Nordmen f.e.) and clanless random people on the other side. I'm not sure why is this happening, must be some bug. It's really annoying.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2012, 05:57:58 pm »
I've never been a fan of autobalance, or autostack as I like to call it. It consistently makes for boring games. You're either on the team that's rolling or you're being rolled. There's no real middle-ground. Generally, the clan with the most players on wins.

However, I doubt this will ever go away as the clans like to keep that x5 rolling. And telling people to switch banners isn't a fix either. What, should everybody start putting the same banner on?

In my opinion, strat is for rolling with your clan and the regular servers are for pub play. Also, it's nice to play against the really good players in my clan like Dan, which rarely happens due to banner balance.

Banner balance is stupid and it always has been. Let's get rid of it already.

Offline POOPHAMMER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 328
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • yes thats me irl
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Barabe
  • Game nicks: POOPHAMMER
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2012, 06:50:24 pm »
I've never been a fan of autobalance, or autostack as I like to call it. It consistently makes for boring games. You're either on the team that's rolling or you're being rolled. There's no real middle-ground. Generally, the clan with the most players on wins.

However, I doubt this will ever go away as the clans like to keep that x5 rolling. And telling people to switch banners isn't a fix either. What, should everybody start putting the same banner on?

In my opinion, strat is for rolling with your clan and the regular servers are for pub play. Also, it's nice to play against the really good players in my clan like Dan, which rarely happens due to banner balance.

Banner balance is stupid and it always has been. Let's get rid of it already.

Agreed. The only people who support it are the people in the clans that stomp nonstop or banner leechers, I can not see a regular player who has to go against this every fucking day supporting banner balance staying

idk wtf the devs were even thinking "yeah lets give players the ability to stack all the best players on one team, nothing bad can come out of this!"
Uther Pendragon: dont worry i wasnt planning on trusting you anyway

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2012, 07:08:51 pm »
+1
Well.....I'm not in a clan. I don't care about the banner balance. The only time I switch my banner is so that I can roll with individuals in a clan, not the clan itself  :idea: I don't have a problem with rolling x5's either.

But then again, I care less about my K/D and more about doing what it takes to make my team win. There is a lot you can do that doesn't show on the scoreboard.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 495
  • Infamy: 1813
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2012, 07:14:15 pm »
Agreed. The only people who support it are the people in the clans that stomp nonstop or banner leechers, I can not see a regular player who has to go against this every fucking day supporting banner balance staying

idk wtf the devs were even thinking "yeah lets give players the ability to stack all the best players on one team, nothing bad can come out of this!"

Banner balance got implemented while cmpx was still member of Mercs :wink:

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2012, 04:48:28 pm »
Banner balance got implemented while cmpx was still member of Mercs :wink:

OH SNAP!