Author Topic: Siege equipment and Siege servers "Now a political campaign"  (Read 7008 times)

Offline Fips

• King
  • Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
Re: Siege equipment and Siege servers "Now a political campaign"
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 02:11:29 pm »
Why do you think 2:15 is "no time at all" if the siege rounds are only 6 minutes? That is ~1/3 of the whole round!

Offline tillmash

• Knight
  • Renown: 37
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: UB
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 02:19:38 pm »
Many people spend more time dead than 2:15 during a single round, and as the siege crew is typicaly far enough away from the action, they do not die.
Meaning that they are not wasting time, instead of being dead they are just building. The catapults have good range so are able to still do damage but keep the crew safe.

Offline Zandieer

• Baron
  • Renown: 87
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 02:21:35 pm »
+3
You are very kind, if we ever come across you during a battle we will make sure to give ya a shout.

That is, if we ever manage to break this prejudice against siege crews, and are able to stay on a server for more than 1 and a half minuites without being kicked for "leeching"

Your support is greatly appreciated.

I strongly support everything that has to do with rp or playing a class most don't use, as I find it really interesting :D Maybe someday we might get ourselves some better siege weaponry and then we will show these guys :wink:

And I can go peasant armor + wooden dagger and get scores like 0-50 if I want to, if I actively play. Why no for catapults?

Offline Remy

• Knight
  • Renown: 68
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remy_the_Fox
  • IRC nick: Remy
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2012, 02:21:42 pm »
+2
Awww, I wanted to see the catapult in action, sounds fun.  :(
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Fox, Horse Archer, Tker of Chagan.

Offline tillmash

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2012, 02:23:33 pm »
+1
Awww, I wanted to see the catapult in action, sounds fun.  :(

You may still be able to see us in action,all we need to do is convince people that this playstyle is not leeching, and adds a whole nother level to the immersion and the siege.

Tell more people to come here and support the cause.

Offline Ganner

• Duke
  • Renown: 553
  • Infamy: 138
  • The other white meat
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Ganner_of_Chaos
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 02:27:42 pm »
The problem with this is that even if you do manage to make that catapult in under 3 minutes, it does NOTHING to capture the flag.  Sure you kill 3 archers on the wall before the round is over, but that means 3 people got 1 kill each in 6 minutes and were no where NEAR to the flag to cap it.  This is all supposition that you will actually be left alone by the other team to make the siege equipment and that the castle your attacking will have camp spots that are targetable to your catapult.

If you want to practice your siege building for strat purposes go to duel off to the side and do it.  If you want to contribute to your team and win a round, gear up and get into the fight.

TL:DR - Building a catapult has NO effect on the outcome other than your team being down 3 warm bodies.

Offline Zandieer

• Baron
  • Renown: 87
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 02:31:01 pm »
Gives us longer siege rounds, where you either:

A) HAVE to break the door/wall/something with a catapult/ram/whatever to get in fast.
B) Slowly advance via one, single bottleneck.

Problem has a solution :mrgreen:

Offline Remy

• Knight
  • Renown: 68
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remy_the_Fox
  • IRC nick: Remy
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2012, 02:31:45 pm »
+3
To be fair though plenty of people utilize tactics or act in ways that also do absolutely nothing for their team. :wink:

I can go kill hunting on siege, make absolutely no difference other than kill random people far away from the flag but I doubt I would get kicked or banned for that. ^^

A lot of people end a round in siege or battle with only one or two kills of no value.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 02:34:39 pm by Remy »

Fox, Horse Archer, Tker of Chagan.

Offline tillmash

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2012, 02:35:21 pm »
+1
The problem with this is that even if you do manage to make that catapult in under 3 minutes, it does NOTHING to capture the flag.  Sure you kill 3 archers on the wall before the round is over, but that means 3 people got 1 kill each in 6 minutes and were no where NEAR to the flag to cap it.  This is all supposition that you will actually be left alone by the other team to make the siege equipment and that the castle your attacking will have camp spots that are targetable to your catapult.

If you want to practice your siege building for strat purposes go to duel off to the side and do it.  If you want to contribute to your team and win a round, gear up and get into the fight.

TL:DR - Building a catapult has NO effect on the outcome other than your team being down 3 warm bodies.

We generally only use 2 people acting as crew, but what you are saying still seems a little prejudiced to me. I get what you are saying, that the crew is not helpful to the team. But let mem direct you to one of the rules:
OK: Being a bad player and getting no kills

Of course, you already knew this, you are an admin for christ sake, but if there are bad players allowed to go around doing bugger all for their team, then why can't there be a siege crew that, still gets kills, but apparently to you , still does bugger all. Even though there are player who will go around at 0-8 not even knowing how to play the gamemode, they do not get kicked, and even the players who are not new, but still play terribly, they do not get kicked.

If you wish, write us off as terrible players, but truth is, as it says in the rules, there is nothing wrong with being a bad player.
And so we should be given a chance, or even more so, the freedom to play the game how we enjoy it. Who knows, it might catch on and people may actually start to become pretty damn good at using catapults.

Offline Ganner

• Duke
  • Renown: 553
  • Infamy: 138
  • The other white meat
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Ganner_of_Chaos
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2012, 02:49:14 pm »
+2
But the thing is, at least terrible players are up in the mix as a distraction.   They are up there swinging at enemies and being a target that will distract the enemies so a teammate can either kill or get around them to go for the flag.  I'll take an 0-8 player that gets in the mix and distracts some enemies for a few moments than 2-3 players out near spawn that dont do anything to achieve the goal of the round.

Offline tillmash

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2012, 02:52:04 pm »
I was the one that was destroying your equipment because I did not know that you were all that serious about this. I am not to blame though, because siege equipment crews have a leecher reputation.

It would be nice to have you on defense though, if you guys could make a healing tent and stuff like that, it could really pay off.

It would be also great if you could wreck doors and walls with catapults, but I am not sure if that is possible on normal siege castles.

We need a new siege mode with maps from strategus!

Thank you for your response, it is very meaningful.
I agree with pretty much everything you have said ,especially about the map idea.
I know it is definatley possible to destroy the smaller doors on castles with the catapults. The defense stuff you mentioned is an absolute must that we will work on when on a def team.

Thank you for adding more to our cause.

Offline tillmash

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2012, 02:54:52 pm »
But the thing is, at least terrible players are up in the mix as a distraction.   They are up there swinging at enemies and being a target that will distract the enemies so a teammate can either kill or get around them to go for the flag.  I'll take an 0-8 player that gets in the mix and distracts some enemies for a few moments than 2-3 players out near spawn that dont do anything to achieve the goal of the round.

As i have said before we can still do all of this, we are able to lob rocks over the walls causing disruption and the possibility of getting kills.

Please do not write us off until you have seen what we can truly do.
The hardest thing for us is when admins do not give us a chance, from this thread you can see that there are many players that support us, but if ONE admin does not even give us a chance then we have no shot whatsoever at helping, as we become kicked or banned before we even finish the catapult.

Offline Herkkutatti666

• Duke
  • Renown: 585
  • Infamy: 285
  • cRPG Player
  • Rips pärs
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2012, 02:55:40 pm »
make catapult work like it did work in older versions of crpg

Offline tillmash

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2012, 02:56:24 pm »
make catapult work like it did work in older versions of crpg

I haven't been around for too long, maybe only a year or so.
Enlighten me, how did they use to work?

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2012, 03:31:12 pm »
+7
It's sad, but most people here only care about the multi. Unless you are doing something that is DIRECTLY contributing to their multi you are breaking the rules. So, the only fun you can have is the fun that gives other people a higher multi.

It's sad really as the equipment we have can be very useful in both siege and battle.

In siege as defenders you can build healing tents. As attackers you can build siege towers to sneak into previously unreachable parts of the castle.

In battle, weapon racks and healing tents are awesome. You can build a weapon rack in about 5 seconds. Then you can create a defensive position with siege shields and a healing tent.

But, your teammates will never let that happen because you MUST FEED THE MULTIS!