Author Topic: To all lancers  (Read 4358 times)

Offline 22nd_King_Plazek

• Baron
  • Renown: 87
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: To all lancers
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2012, 06:20:26 pm »
lol, noob lancers have always attacked the horse instead of the rider. The old vs new lances angles had nothing to do with this at all. In fact for me as a 2h on horse user I get my horse stabbed less now as when I ride up alongside a lancer he cannot stab backwards into my horse.

Stop appropriating this thread on the topic of horse vs horse battle honour for your bullshit "bring back the old lance angle" cause. Nabs.

---

However as a 2h on horse user and thrower I often have to attack the enemy horse as the lancer will kill my horse in 2 hits if I do not while it will often take me 4/5 hits to kill a horse with my longsword. But if I know I am fighting someone with some honour and skill I go for the rider. Until they stab at my horse.

Offline BADPLAYERold

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 362
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PRO
  • Game nicks: BADPLAYER
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2012, 06:20:36 pm »
Well you're the one who killed their rider cleanly right?  Just take their horse  :P

I'd argue it's the same thing if you are a shielder going up against an axe user, or in general going up against someone else who will probably get a few hits in on you.  You'll be left in a worse state when you exit the fight even if you win, so you need to decide if it's worth going into that fight in the first place or look for another target.

well i dont aim for rider anymore i just aim for horse because i have to like everyone else does to me. i just wish there was a way to make it so targetting the rider as more beneficial.

i was thinking maybe making lances unbalanced, this would stop people being able to cancel a lance into a block when they realise they got outlanced and maybe might make people aim for rider more. not sure.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2012, 06:23:51 pm »
+1
Dismounting a knight seems like a really good tactic for disabling them...

Attacking other horse lancers is generally a bad idea, but if you're going to attack them it's to disable them, not to necessarily kill them.

If I dismount you 1 km from the rest of your team, you're useless.  You think people should "play nice" so that you can go kill half of their team?  So you also think that archers shouldn't shoot you in the back, and if someone has a shield and you don't, they should put it away and duel you?

Give me a break, learn to play.  There's no honor in war, the sooner you realize that, the sooner you will use tactics to your advantage.  The honorable die young.  When it's a fight to the death, fuck honor.  Bite, scratch, fight dirty, fight like a girl, do anything you can to survive.  Honor gets you (and your buddies) killed.

This is not war, but a game. The goal is not killing bytes, it's having fun.

I think the game would be more enjoyable for everyone if we were nicer to each other.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2012, 06:24:10 pm »
well i dont aim for rider anymore i just aim for horse because i have to like everyone else does to me. i just wish there was a way to make it so targetting the rider as more beneficial.

i was thinking maybe making lances unbalanced, this would stop people being able to cancel a lance into a block when they realise they got outlanced and maybe might make people aim for rider more. not sure.

It's risk assessment at it's finest, and you have to decide in a split second whether to go for the rider or the horse.  If you go for the horse and don't kill it, there's a good chance you will die.  Aiming for the horse's head (which is in front of the rider) is only common sense...I try to turn as I hit the horses head so that I'm turning away from them as I hit so that I'm hopefully out of range for their lance by the time my thrust has connected.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2012, 06:25:31 pm »

I think the game would be more enjoyable for everyone if we were nicer to each other.

I didn't know it was a game, I though it was real life...my point still stands, you get no respect if you're whining about people using tactics and common sense in a video game.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Lorenzo_of_Iberia

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Peloponnesian League
  • Game nicks: Lorenzo_of_Numidia , PL_Hoplitai_Lorenzo
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2012, 06:28:19 pm »
+1
In my opinion I dont see dehorsing (even via lancing) as particularly bad. You are playing cavalry, one of your weakness' as the class is that if your horse dies thats 5-7 skill points rendered redundant. There may be more honour and skill at hitting the rider but as cavalry you should accept that without your horse you are less powerful and for that reason your horse is a good target :/ Far less risky to aim for the horse than to aim for body, especially against lancers with 160 odd wpf in pole :P
Your local Jav Cav

Looking for like Minded Hoplites? Look no further - http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,22631.0.html

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2012, 06:29:57 pm »
+1

The point is to win a battle. That's why I spend most of my time as HA shooting lancers horses. Because it will help my team a great deal to down them. If you want to lance each other with 'honour' go on the duel server. Killing horses by any means, including other lancers, just makes perfect sense in the battle situation.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2012, 06:36:28 pm »
lol, noob lancers have always attacked the horse instead of the rider. The old vs new lances angles had nothing to do with this at all. In fact for me as a 2h on horse user I get my horse stabbed less now as when I ride up alongside a lancer he cannot stab backwards into my horse.

Stop appropriating this thread on the topic of horse vs horse battle honour for your bullshit "bring back the old lance angle" cause. Nabs.

---

However as a 2h on horse user and thrower I often have to attack the enemy horse as the lancer will kill my horse in 2 hits if I do not while it will often take me 4/5 hits to kill a horse with my longsword. But if I know I am fighting someone with some honour and skill I go for the rider. Until they stab at my horse.

It is debatable for lance vs lance, but when it comes to lance vs 1h/2h, not targetting the horse is brain damaged. There is virtually no reason someone that has no chance of outreaching the lance thrust would not block the attack. What's the point of aiming at the rider and being blocked ?

And your numbers seem very situational. 1h/2h weapons usually need one or two swings to kill a courser/arab horse without any speed bonus, so I guess this is about large warhorses or equivalent. Also, lances need the speed bonus to 1/2 shot horses. Of course the pierce damage makes them better against armored horses.

The point is to win a battle. That's why I spend most of my time as HA shooting lancers horses. Because it will help my team a great deal to down them. If you want to lance each other with 'honour' go on the duel server. Killing horses by any means, including other lancers, just makes perfect sense in the battle situation.

I didn't know it was a game, I though it was real life...my point still stands, you get no respect if you're whining about people using tactics and common sense in a video game.

My message is that even though nobody has the right to demand nice behavior, we could all benefit from it.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2012, 06:43:32 pm »
Yes, I was harsh and probably could have been more civil, but Rebel is dense and doesn't even bother reading other people's opinions.  He comes on here, bitches about something realllly stupid (he's complaining that people are using tactics and common sense...) and then ignores anyone who says to the contrary.  Some people deserve ridicule and scorn, and this is coming from someone who's very tolerant, and treats most people (even those I disagree with), with respect.

I get tired of seeing these posts and people bitching in game about "honor".  It's a video game simulating a medieval battlefield, use tactics or at minimum don't complain if other people outsmart you.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2012, 06:47:46 pm »
Yes, I was harsh and probably could have been more civil, but Rebel is dense and doesn't even bother reading other people's opinions.  He comes on here, bitches about something realllly stupid (he's complaining that people are using tactics and common sense...) and then ignores anyone who says to the contrary.  Some people deserve ridicule and scorn, and this is coming from someone who's very tolerant, and treats most people (even those I disagree with), with respect.

I get tired of seeing these posts and people bitching in game about "honor".  It's a video game simulating a medieval battlefield, use tactics or at minimum don't complain if other people outsmart you.

Well I understand his reaction. When you are kind to people but they lack the maturity to at least try to treat you as good, it can really piss me off.

Offline Ganner

• Duke
  • Renown: 553
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The other white meat
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Ganner_of_Chaos
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2012, 06:48:28 pm »
While it is a valid tactic, its douchebaggery at its finest.  There are some cav that will take out your horse if its a good opportunity then there are arseholes that will FOLLOW you until your horse is dead even if it takes a whole round.  Those are the cav i have an issue with(excluding HA's i know thats their primary responsibility).

TL:DR
OK - Lancing horses of opportunity
OK - HA's shooting horses
NOT OK - Consistantly and ONLY aiming for the horse
NOT OK - Following a horseman to dehorse him and then ride away

Offline Chagan_Arslan

• Earl
  • Renown: 372
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Chagan_Arslan
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2012, 06:49:50 pm »
heh i had the idea that this thread is about lancer vs lancer issue, yet its filled with a bunch of non-lancers talking about it... interesting

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2012, 06:51:54 pm »
Just aim for both :P .

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2012, 06:55:31 pm »
+2
Ganner, if you dehorse someone you just neutered them, of course you should now ride away...some of the ideas you guys throw out are hilarious.  It's a video game simulating a battlefield, use every tactic you can to win, or you're not a good teammate.

I fail to see how it's a douche thing to dismount a horseman.  His primary method of getting from point A to point B is his horse, you take that away and now they are infinitely less useful.  Seems like a good thing to do if you want your team to win.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 06:57:06 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2012, 06:56:41 pm »
+1
While it is a valid tactic, its douchebaggery at its finest.  There are some cav that will take out your horse if its a good opportunity then there are arseholes that will FOLLOW you until your horse is dead even if it takes a whole round.  Those are the cav i have an issue with(excluding HA's i know thats their primary responsibility).

TL:DR
OK - Lancing horses of opportunity
OK - HA's shooting horses
NOT OK - Consistantly and ONLY aiming for the horse
NOT OK - Following a horseman to dehorse him and then ride away

I don't know, if I was a terrible cav player (which I am) I would probably make it my goal to dehorse good cavalry players so they aren't hurting my team as much.  I still don't really see why this is a problem - your goal should always be to help your team in the best way you know.  If I had the option to take out a high profile player's horse then I wouldn't hesitate for a second.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345