Author Topic: Solution to the Strength Madness???  (Read 12344 times)

Offline oohillac

• Marshall
  • Renown: 724
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player
  • boys don't cry
    • View Profile
Re: Solution to the Strength Madness???
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2012, 04:59:30 am »
+5
agreed, I'd say enjoyment > theorized effectiveness

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2012, 04:11:50 pm »
.. Wat? Giving yourself more opportunities to hit is different from what I said how?

Having an opportunity for an accomplishment is far different than achieving that accomplishment.

A college frat party may give you more opportunities to get laid, but it doesn't mean you got laid.

I think the next morning you should have a far better understanding of the difference.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline justme

• Count
  • Renown: 188
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandits
  • Game nicks: Bandit_Elsupreme
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2012, 04:33:10 pm »
So I was thinking about how bad agility is in this game and how strength really still dominates for a number of reasons in melee annnnnnnnnnnd I kind of figured the main reason is the damage.

The extra HP helps a lot, but strength builds have a lot of damage, while agility doesn't, makes sense? good.

My proposition:

Increase the base damage of all melee weapons and reduce the damage from powerstrike.

What does this all mean???

The minimum melee damage will be higher, while the max melee damage will be lower.

Thus, builds with lower powerstrike will do more damage, and builds with higher powerstrike will do less.

And in turn... will make agility a bit more viable for all builds, since the extra damage won't be thaaaat significant.

How can we possibly do this???

Increase all melee weapons damage by 32% (equal to PS4)[or 40% for ps5 equiv] and change the damage bonus from powerstrike to 4%.

What do you all think?

you drunk?

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2012, 05:26:57 pm »
Having an opportunity for an accomplishment is far different than achieving that accomplishment.

A college frat party may give you more opportunities to get laid, but it doesn't mean you got laid.

I think the next morning you should have a far better understanding of the difference.

Oh yeah, fuck agility, man. It only gives you opportunities, it doesn't hold your hand and do it for you. Fucking bullshiiiieeet, as Lezard would say. Someone please fix agility so that it plays for you too.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2012, 06:02:17 pm »
Adding a certain amount of wpf per Agi point would be very nice since STR gives hp. And to even it out even more you could decrease the wpf gained per lvl so that agi/WM will be needed more since STR gives a small damage bonus and 1hp per point while agi atm gives nothing.

Another thing i have been thinking about is that the 1hp/str could be removed and instead make IF give more hp, like 4hp per point in it. This would make people create their builds for a bit more survivability instead of going all out damage which would make you supersquishy and die to just a few hits.  8-)
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2012, 06:49:14 pm »
Herp derp derp... random NA pointless balance view whine post derp derp..

I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2012, 07:39:08 pm »
Adding a certain amount of wpf per Agi point would be very nice since STR gives hp. And to even it out even more you could decrease the wpf gained per lvl so that agi/WM will be needed more since STR gives a small damage bonus and 1hp per point while agi atm gives nothing.

Adding WPF per Agi point would destroy current Archery balance. It would require another Archery nerf in some other manner.

You seem to understand that it isn't a perfect solution because you follow it up with a balancing act. Unfortunately, the balance would be to nerf all peasants. The complaints about difficulty leveling would be worse I think. New players don't understand that it isn't always best to max your Strength first and then follow up with the needed Agility. So they are miserable for dozens of levels as they try to play a build that has no skills for its weapon set. If they actually make it over lvl 25, it gets easier and they continue on. Otherwise they get frustrated and re-roll.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Spa_geh_tea

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 114
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearded Vagrant
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2012, 11:22:41 pm »
Don't buff agi, game can't support lots of players with high athletic, high wpf builds. You will end up with massive game lag due to server and hitboxes getting completly screwed up. End result is players getting killed before they even see the weapon swing (so attacks impact faster then blocks) hitboxes are skewed resulting in incorrect evalution of speed bonus, causing extremes in damage values(0 damage or 200%) players will spend a lot of time going into bodies to cheat the blocking mechanic. And much much more......

We already see small hints of these behaviors as of now. Some of the more veteran players abuse these features since they understand what builds achieve them and how to use it. Improve hitbox detection and speed bonus calculation before attempting to buff agi.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2012, 11:24:06 pm »
+2
He's back and he's even more dense than before!

Offline Spa_geh_tea

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 114
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearded Vagrant
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2012, 11:37:51 pm »
We are are clearly at ends with this discussion. Only solution is to test run a server where all players have 8 athletics and 180 wpf. Then we can re-evaluate, but I can gaurentee that it will create a lot of rage over such comments;

"I blocked that shit"
"On my screen I was behind you"
"How the hell did you swing through my shield"
"Ghost reach"
"You didn't even swing"
"How did that miss it went right through you"

Sound familiar already?

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2012, 11:53:26 pm »
I'm sure the results would be quite PEBKAC
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 11:57:53 pm by Vibe »

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2012, 12:00:43 am »
Nah, strength builds are fine enough.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2012, 12:48:32 am »
We are are clearly at ends with this discussion. Only solution is to test run a server where all players have 8 athletics and 180 wpf. Then we can re-evaluate, but I can gaurentee that it will create a lot of rage over such comments;

"I blocked that shit"
"On my screen I was behind you"
"How the hell did you swing through my shield"
"Ghost reach"
"You didn't even swing"
"How did that miss it went right through you"

Sound familiar already?

i'm sure this is all because of athletics and agi
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Fartface

• Earl
  • Renown: 476
  • Infamy: 288
  • cRPG Player
  • Centurii
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deathcore,Djentcore,Deathmetal,Brutal,Slam
  • Game nicks: Growling,Grunting,Screaming,Squeeling
  • IRC nick: Fuck I love it.
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2012, 10:48:24 pm »
+2
Well i think my 15-27 lvl 32 2hander was the easiest build i ever done.
Had an ingame kdr of 7000 kills and around 1300 deaths.
My str build only went to 1800 kills and 900 deaths.
My balanced 21-18 polearmer had 3.22 kdr.
Sorry but agi is way easier for stacking a fuckload of kills and surviving , just get lordly armour 5 if and you will also survive alot.

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2012, 03:21:37 am »
Well based on the powers of logic, if agility can't be buffed anymore, then strength needs to be adjusted.

From a shielders point of view, agility builds are not viable. Anything less than ps6 is worthless for almost any weapon (with the exception of military picks, but 1 weapon doesn't balance an entire class) and I have many times with my mighty iberian mace hit an unhelmeted character in the head only to watch them survive.

Mighty Iberian mace, PS6, shot to the head and survive.

Maybe for 2h weapons the damage is viable with 5 powerstrike, but like I said before for shielders the only viable builds are either strength heavy, balanced, and all the builds in between. With the changes to the heirlooms, the amount of damage added before made a 15st-21agi shielder build viable, now its not. Even with ps6 and mighty iberian or my mw italian against a strength build it takes between 4-8 hits to kill them, when it only requires 1-2 from them. No matter how EZ mode blocking is with a shield, its still really hard to hit someone 4-8x more then they hit you, with faster/longer reaching weapons.

If increasing damage on lower amounts of PS and decreasing damage on higher PS, it would make agility more appealing, which is exactly what we see here in this thread.