Author Topic: Solution to the Strength Madness???  (Read 12345 times)

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
Re: Solution to the Strength Madness???
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2012, 05:06:05 am »
Well based on the powers of logic, if agility can't be buffed anymore, then strength needs to be adjusted.

From a shielders point of view, agility builds are not viable. Anything less than ps6 is worthless for almost any weapon (with the exception of military picks, but 1 weapon doesn't balance an entire class) and I have many times with my mighty iberian mace hit an unhelmeted character in the head only to watch them survive.

Mighty Iberian mace, PS6, shot to the head and survive.

Maybe for 2h weapons the damage is viable with 5 powerstrike, but like I said before for shielders the only viable builds are either strength heavy, balanced, and all the builds in between. With the changes to the heirlooms, the amount of damage added before made a 15st-21agi shielder build viable, now its not. Even with ps6 and mighty iberian or my mw italian against a strength build it takes between 4-8 hits to kill them, when it only requires 1-2 from them. No matter how EZ mode blocking is with a shield, its still really hard to hit someone 4-8x more then they hit you, with faster/longer reaching weapons.

If increasing damage on lower amounts of PS and decreasing damage on higher PS, it would make agility more appealing, which is exactly what we see here in this thread.

I disagree. Agility builds CAN be very viable, especially with a 1-hander. Grab yourself a Huscarl and a steel pick and have yourself a grand 'ole time. I actually find that setup to be pretty lame, which is why I don't use it myself.

My 1-hander is 18/21 and I have no problems whatsoever.

The big problem with agility builds is your own team. Your team becomes much more dangerous to you than the enemy.  All it takes is 1 teammate to hit you in the back, leaving you open to attack and you're dead.

I don't have a problem with strength builds. The only time they get annoying is when you run into some strength-stacking dickhead wearing Lordly plate. Takes all day to kill those assholes.

Anyway, balanced builds are where it's at.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline autobus

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 598
  • Infamy: 127
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bartering Brigade "Black Tea"
  • Game nicks: Autobus, Shushu, Samodur
  • IRC nick: Autobus
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2012, 05:15:15 am »
buy military pick and stop making stupid threads.

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2012, 06:12:45 am »
It would be nice to see some items, be they armor or weapons, have both a Strength and Agility requirement. So you can make a lulzy 36/3 build, but it limits your gear choices to less than the most potent ones.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2012, 08:09:24 am »
+1
It would be nice to see some items, be they armor or weapons, have both a Strength and Agility requirement. So you can make a lulzy 36/3 build, but it limits your gear choices to less than the most potent ones.

This could work. I know some armors have ridiculously low requirements, for example I can pretty much wear any armor with 15 STR. Imo, high agi chars should not be allowed to wear heavy armor.

Offline Konrax

• Count
  • Renown: 281
  • Infamy: 107
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Konrax of Chaos
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2012, 07:26:21 pm »
Rusty how can you disagree when what you said is exactly what I said in my post. 1 weapon doesn't balance an entire class. That being said I also feel that pick is a pretty lame weapon and would rather see other weapons also become viable for agility builds.

As for everyone else who feels the need to personally attack me on a forum regarding a computer games mechanics is rather pathetic, and in all honesty if I ever meet you face to face I would slap you like the little bitches you are. My apologies to anyone else who is actually trying to give some constructive feedback instead of personal attacks.

Now if your done acting like children please explain in a constructive way how or why strength or agility should be modified. Imho with weapon stun on blocking the game is still rather turn based fighting, and with simple math (takes less hits to kill, and more to die) strength appears to be superior.

And please dont quote another 30+ character example its just stupid.

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2012, 08:26:10 pm »
+1
Imho with weapon stun on blocking the game is still rather turn based fighting, and with simple math (takes less hits to kill, and more to die) strength appears to be superior.
That seems like a fair tradeoff of how it should be. Strength is slow, can take more damage and if they hit it hurts more. Agi is fast, can avoid taking damage simply because they're agile and can hit much quicker. Don't see the problem.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2012, 08:28:23 pm »
anyone with less then 8 ath is cannon fodder tbh... atleast on EU dunno how things work in Narnia  :lol:
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline BlameMeForTheNoise

• Count
  • Renown: 189
  • Infamy: 21
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Varangian Guards
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Sonjarr
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2012, 09:00:27 pm »
Crazy americans and their strength-builds and bec de corbins...

In Eu there are no such "problems". Strength builds are much easier to block due to low speed. Even when using weapons as katana/longsword or staffs...
Sure 2 hits and youre dead. But then just use your footwork to stay out of range when you think you cant block well enough or have very light armor.
I tried out both versions and my personal opinion is that Agility and athletics are superior to pure strength builds assuming both players are equally high skilled.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1836
  • Infamy: 140
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2012, 09:23:32 pm »
anyone with less then 8 ath is cannon fodder tbh... atleast on EU dunno how things work in Narnia  :lol:

How about you try one of those annoying agi builds? No shield this time :D

Offline Tor!

• He's Tor!
  • Marshall
  • Renown: 739
  • Infamy: 62
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Tor
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2012, 09:54:18 pm »
Grab yourself a Huscarl and a steel pick and have yourself a grand 'ole time. I actually find that setup to be pretty lame, which is why I don't use it myself.

Do the people across the pond know about the kick? With that setup you are dead meat against any half decent player, but then again the "lesser half" you will annihilate.
[00:53] <xant> i used to play on eu_1
[00:53] <xant> then i took an arrow to the knee

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2012, 10:31:59 pm »
Sure if you move straight into the person...any half decent player is going to be moving around as they approach and try not to predictable with their movements.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2012, 10:46:47 pm »
Crazy americans and their strength-builds and bec de corbins...

In Eu there are no such "problems". Strength builds are much easier to block due to low speed. Even when using weapons as katana/longsword or staffs...
Sure 2 hits and youre dead. But then just use your footwork to stay out of range when you think you cant block well enough or have very light armor.
I tried out both versions and my personal opinion is that Agility and athletics are superior to pure strength builds assuming both players are equally high skilled.

In a one on one fight, sure. Except that the equally skilled Agi character is going to pay much more severely for getting hit once than the Strength (Oops edit :3) character. Most battle situations aren't a going to be duelies though, and the ability to take an unexpected or overwhelmed hit is a huge advantage.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 11:06:12 pm by Malaclypse »
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline oohillac

• Marshall
  • Renown: 724
  • cRPG Player
  • boys don't cry
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2012, 10:51:13 pm »
On NA most of the uber-strength/PS stackers all use crushthrough or shield-breakers :(  and heavy armour too

They are easy to beat by backing up as they swing, then darting in and slicing.

Offline Spartacus

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2012, 01:39:34 am »
derp i have NEVER had more than 15 strength (once i went longbow, but i regretted very soon), and i suck, and get nearly 1 kdr, so no, agi is perfectly viable.
agi whore
So thats NA, why do you care about EU? Are you trying to export freedom?

Offline EyeBeat

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 175
  • 20th BEST PLAYER IN HOSPITALLER
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: EyeBeat_The_Wanderer
  • IRC nick: EyeBeat
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2012, 02:13:41 pm »
+3
I say they just nerf wpf points on level.  Buff wpf points on weapon master.

That is the only thing I think they should do in order to balance it.

Being a smallish community doesn't entitle you to act more like a dick than other communities.