Author Topic: Make horses take damage when colliding with a solid object  (Read 4245 times)

Offline Penguin

• Duke
  • Renown: 670
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player
  • JesusChrist
    • View Profile
  • Faction: [A]rrows Incoming!
  • Game nicks: [Y]Retreat!
Make horses take damage when colliding with a solid object
« on: March 09, 2012, 03:25:08 am »
+10
See title, I've always thought it a bit ridiculous that a horse can slam it's head into a wall without taking a lick of damage. I know a horse would probably die running full speed into any solid object really, but all I'm asking is for consideration of adding damage or at least a "stun"/period of disorientation for the horse.
"As you gaze upon the cross, and long for conformity to him, be not weary or fearful because you cannot express in words what you seek. Ask him to plant the cross in your heart. Believe in him, the crucified and now living one, to dwell within you, and breathe his own mind there."

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
Re: Make horses take damage when colliding with a solid object
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 03:26:37 am »
-1 not my cup of tea
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 04:47:31 am »
yep and while we're at it, lets add disarming, weapon ricochets, archery misfires, weapon breakage/wear

every parry you make reduces blade damage by 10% to a maximum of 1/5 the listed weapon dmg
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 04:48:52 am by Digglez »

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 04:48:37 am »
+4
every parry you make reduces blade damage by 10% to a maximum of 1/5 the stated weapon dmg

Not realistic.
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Zlisch_The_Butcher

• King
  • Renown: 1272
  • Infamy: 971
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction: Frisian Church of Mork The Goat God
  • Game nicks: Zlisch
  • IRC nick: IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 05:04:44 pm »
Sounds fun TBH, would add some extra skillz to being a lancer/HT, but first, BUFF HT DMG! ZLISCH WILLS IT!!!
1H stab is the fastest, strongest and longest 1H animation. There's no reason NOT to use it in all instances. I don't know if it's OP, but it's boring. 1H used to be fun because you had a fast (left), long (right) and the most devastating attack (stab) and had to choose the best attack for each occasion.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 05:31:39 pm »
There are so many things that are not realistic that you would have to fix, you're just focusing on one area that you dislike.

I agree with digglez comment.  You'd also have to add the ability to tackle people to the ground and stab then where armor pieces meet (like the neck or under the armpit) and kill them with a dagger.

Also when the horse dies from a spear as it's charging into someone and the horses body flies into someone, presently it's a ghost corpse.   In real life if you have 800-1200 lbs of dead weight flying into you at 20 mph you're going to be hurting in the morning (if you are even able to get up afterwards).
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 06:08:13 pm »
Also when the horse dies from a spear as it's charging into someone and the horses body flies into someone, presently it's a ghost corpse.   In real life if you have 800-1200 lbs of dead weight flying into you at 20 mph you're going to be hurting in the morning (if you are even able to get up afterwards).

Of course the pikes should be grounded and the momentum of the horse would be absorbed as it skewered itself and likely wouldn't reach the pikeman.

But sorry OP, there are just too many reasons to say no (even though I can't be bothered to list them).
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 06:29:14 pm »
Of course the pikes should be grounded and the momentum of the horse would be absorbed as it skewered itself and likely wouldn't reach the pikeman.

But sorry OP, there are just too many reasons to say no (even though I can't be bothered to list them).

Yes, it would be nice if you could brace spears and lances into the ground, the horse would never reach the infantry person then.  However, when an arrow kills the horse, or someone swings and breaks the legs and the horse flies into 2 infantry, it would severely fuck them up.

There are soooooooo many things that could be done to make the game more realistic, the point I (and I think Digglez) was making, is that it's futile to complain about one "realism" aspect and ignore all the others, especially in direct relation to the thing you're talking about (horses).

You want realism, every time your horse is hit there should be a chance that it rides around uncontrollably, or rears up and tries to buck you from the horse (maybe create a mini-game like in Red Dead Redemption where your horse rears and you have to stay balanced). 

There is a lot missing that could make it more realistic, I think the mod is limited by the game.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 06:33:58 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Aleta

• Knight
  • Renown: 32
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rhodok
  • Game nicks: Aleta, Diavolo
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 01:52:37 am »
For realism, this would be a good addition. However, horse bump damage should also be increased a lot making a horse able to instakill on bump on low armored and low health players. Horses should also be damaged from bumping players, but about half the damage as the player being bumped recieves.

But, those changes would suck for the playability and fun of the game. I want realism, but only as long as it is balanced and fun. Having horses suddenly getting afraid and fleeing from battle, or refusing to run into players or stuff would also be realistic, but it would suck.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 02:12:32 am »
For realism, this would be a good addition. However, horse bump damage should also be increased a lot making a horse able to instakill on bump on low armored and low health players. Horses should also be damaged from bumping players, but about half the damage as the player being bumped recieves.

But, those changes would suck for the playability and fun of the game. I want realism, but only as long as it is balanced and fun. Having horses suddenly getting afraid and fleeing from battle, or refusing to run into players or stuff would also be realistic, but it would suck.

Some horses already do a pretty big amount of damage, i lost ~1/4th hp from one bump the other day, was really surprised. Doesnt happen alot tho, but still that would almost be a insta kill on peasants i think.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 02:27:03 am »
+4
horse bump would mortally wound most people by breaking bones, crushing organs, extreme brusing, resulting head injuires, etc

what you fail to realize is the size and strength of the horses chest.  Take a look at the horse skeletons, their breast bone is about 4x as thick as a humans, surrounded by pounds upon pounds of muscle.  A 1.5 - 2 lbs. horse knocking over a 200 lb human is little to no risk to itself.  Their center of gravity is hitting you far far above yours, and you go splat.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 10:30:17 pm by Digglez »

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 04:41:36 am »
+1
Digglez use "Système international d'unités", also called the SI- system so we stupid Europeans understand what you are talking aboot :D

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Penguin

• Duke
  • Renown: 670
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player
  • JesusChrist
    • View Profile
  • Faction: [A]rrows Incoming!
  • Game nicks: [Y]Retreat!
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 09:26:04 pm »

I think adding some form of damage to horses charging full speed into a wall is a good balance between realism and balance. It's a strawman to say "well you must want horses to kill on 1 bump" or "oh so you are in favor of having horses run away?" because this thread simply is not about that
"As you gaze upon the cross, and long for conformity to him, be not weary or fearful because you cannot express in words what you seek. Ask him to plant the cross in your heart. Believe in him, the crucified and now living one, to dwell within you, and breathe his own mind there."

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 10:22:45 pm »
Yup, I remember making a thread with the same idea. chadz has always said he thinks horses are used way too much like go-carts in the game, and he'd like to do something to make maneuvering with a horse more skill based. This is one of the best ways of accomplishing that imo. I wouldn't mind lance angle the way it was before the nerf and implementing this, if its even technically possible with WSE without looking weird or ridiculous.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 10:31:41 pm »
Digglez use "Système international d'unités", also called the SI- system so we stupid Europeans understand what you are talking aboot :D

short ton,[8] net ton    "ton" (US)    2,000 lb (907.1847 kg)    Used in the U.S., and formerly in Canada

Heavy warhorses weight between 1.5k - 2k lbs, or about 1 Ton
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 08:21:00 pm by Digglez »