Author Topic: Make horses take damage when colliding with a solid object  (Read 3970 times)

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
Re: Make horses take damage when colliding with a solid object
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2012, 03:11:58 pm »
Just wanted to add somewhere, that you can manually "rear" your horse.
If you're competent, you can do it "before" hitting the solid object, thus not damaging your horse.

If this was added, it would help separating the noob cav from the good ones. So a +1 from me.

Edit for below, who didn't understood:  :rolleyes:
The this is the suggestion of damaging horses when they run into obstacles and are forced to rear. It's not... at all.. the option to manually rear your horse wich indeed already exists...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 06:04:12 pm by Bulzur »
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Aleskander

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
  • I swear to drunk ossifer I'm not god
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Aleskander, Alesoy Varsov
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2012, 03:40:10 pm »
Just wanted to add somewhere, that you can manually "rear" your horse.
If you're competent, you can do it "before" hitting the solid object, thus not damaging your horse.

If this was added, it would help separating the noob cav from the good ones. So a +1 from me.

Already in-game
Ctrl-J

I would rather have light horses that charge into infantry take damage whether or not they get hit. It doesn't make any since that a horse can run over 5+ people and not feel anything. It also would solve the problem of friendly cav charging into melee to get a kill.

"Die in Turkish Penis"-Grabber, 14-6-12
Never forget

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2012, 05:07:38 pm »
Already in-game
Ctrl-J

I would rather have light horses that charge into infantry take damage whether or not they get hit. It doesn't make any since that a horse can run over 5+ people and not feel anything. It also would solve the problem of friendly cav charging into melee to get a kill.

Lol moron.  How big are horses, how big are people?  You must never have seen a horse close up in real life.  You would see the massive muscles they posses.  They're like a fucking rock.  The only way they'd get hurt is if they twisted their ankle and broke it as they stomped a hole in your chest.

If they bumped you with their massive breast muscles you'd bounce and they would keep on charging.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Tomas_of_Miles

• Count
  • Renown: 263
  • Infamy: 37
  • cRPG Player
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rusty mercenary siege engineer
  • Game nicks: Something with Tomas in it
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2012, 05:09:22 pm »
Half the realism suggestions should be implemented in a separate game in Frostbite/Source engine.
Professional poop cleaner

Offline Ubereem

• Count
  • Renown: 197
  • Infamy: 115
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2012, 06:08:53 am »
Lol moron.  How big are horses, how big are people?  You must never have seen a horse close up in real life.  You would see the massive muscles they posses.  They're like a fucking rock.  The only way they'd get hurt is if they twisted their ankle and broke it as they stomped a hole in your chest.

If they bumped you with their massive breast muscles you'd bounce and they would keep on charging.
i grew up around horses and let me tell u a secret. they are flesh and blood animals. if a horse charges into 5 men who are all wearing metal/steel armor as well as shields and weapons the horse is going to get injured as well as slow down. the horse could easily trip as well into a front somersault. seriously stop watching lord of the rings where horses charge through hundreds of men without slowing down or taking damage lolol
Jackson And No Bank

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2012, 08:00:08 am »
I never said they could charge through 5 people full speed...in warband (and crpg) horses slow down when they run into people, and if they continue running into people, they continue slowing down. 

Don't make me break out the NBC "The more you know picture" I'll fucking do it...

Yes, they're flesh, blood and muscle, just about 4 or 5 times more than a person.  That's like comparing a gorilla to a human, yes they're flesh and blood and still require oxygen like humans, but they're a lot fucking bigger, and they would do a lot more damage if they ran into you. 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 08:01:24 am by CrazyCracka420 »
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2012, 04:21:39 pm »
It still doesn't change the fact that they would take damage running into 250lb plate armored human. Horses break their legs and are put down from simply running a race on flat ground. Don't think for a second that they wouldn't take damage while running through a thousand pounds of men and armor and long sharp pointy sticks and long metal blades whether those objects are being swung at the horse or not.

"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2012, 04:31:21 pm »
Well horses slow down when running into people. And if those people have pointy weapons and are aware they can do the damage. That seems accurate then  :)

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2012, 05:44:21 pm »
pappy I'm also aware of how fragile a horses lower legs are.  they break just running sometimes on flat ground.  I don't think 250 lbs "bracing" for a horse charging at you would put up much resistance for the horse however.  Yes, they could break a leg, but they would demolish you in the process.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Ubereem

• Count
  • Renown: 197
  • Infamy: 115
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2012, 04:21:51 am »
I never said they could charge through 5 people full speed...in warband (and crpg) horses slow down when they run into people, and if they continue running into people, they continue slowing down. 

Don't make me break out the NBC "The more you know picture" I'll fucking do it...

Yes, they're flesh, blood and muscle, just about 4 or 5 times more than a person.  That's like comparing a gorilla to a human, yes they're flesh and blood and still require oxygen like humans, but they're a lot fucking bigger, and they would do a lot more damage if they ran into you.
give me a sword and I would massacre a full grown silverback gorilla 8-)
Jackson And No Bank

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2012, 09:30:57 pm »
Somewhat related: if someone on a horse jumps off a massive drop, the horse dies when they land but the rider is just thrown to the ground as if the horse had been standing still and died. Don't know if it's possible to apply falling damage to riders as well. Probably not a big deal though, since there are few places out of all the maps where you can "take a horse off a sweet jump."

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline bosco

• Count
  • Renown: 258
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
  • Steady...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2012, 09:38:17 pm »
+1
On the topic of horses, in Napoleonic Wars you can get knocked off your horse, and neither of you die. That's something I wouldn't mind seeing in cRPG (for example, when a pike hits the rider's shield).

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2012, 09:33:48 am »
Somewhat related: if someone on a horse jumps off a massive drop, the horse dies when they land but the rider is just thrown to the ground as if the horse had been standing still and died. Don't know if it's possible to apply falling damage to riders as well. Probably not a big deal though, since there are few places out of all the maps where you can "take a horse off a sweet jump."

If the fall is high enough rider does take damage. I'm not sure what the cutoff point is, needs testing.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2012, 09:27:53 pm »
That's not it oberyn, I've fallen massive distances and my horse dies and I take no damage.  I haven't taken damage from a fall when my horse died in c-rpg (as far as I know ever).  I think it used to work that in native when your horse died from a fall you took damage, but I dont' know if they removed it (haven't really played native in a year or more).
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2012, 12:25:40 am »
That's not it oberyn, I've fallen massive distances and my horse dies and I take no damage.  I haven't taken damage from a fall when my horse died in c-rpg (as far as I know ever).  I think it used to work that in native when your horse died from a fall you took damage, but I dont' know if they removed it (haven't really played native in a year or more).

I remember very clearly dying from a fall when I was riding. The horse had low HP and me too, we both died. It was from up the walls on ruined fort.