Author Topic: 2 weapons dominate 2h/pole.  (Read 24317 times)

Offline ThePoopy

• Earl
  • Renown: 411
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • .l..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: PolePoop
Re: 2 weapons dominate 2h/pole.
« Reply #135 on: March 06, 2012, 06:40:01 pm »
2h stab looks like you dodge a side swing that is hit for your stomach, then rotate yourself 45 degree forward
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 06:43:06 pm by ThePoopy »

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 06, 2012, 08:45:09 pm »
+2
Hiltslashing in general could mean hitting very early in the animation by looking next to your opponent when you swing, pretty much hitting them with the hilt. However I think most people refer to a specific left-right swing combination.

It's done when facehugging and moving into your opponent. You do a leftswing, they block it, then you do a right swing while moving your camera with the swing. If you do the camera movement and footwork properly you'll do a second attack before your opponent barely starts his attack. It's basically just a very fast follow up attack, due to hitting your opponent very early in the animation, doing damage with the hilt. Its possible with both polearms and 2h. Think its pretty much the same doing it with both classes, its only the speed rating that makes it easier or harder.

They tried making hiltslashing impossible by adding a slight delay to do a second attack after your swing gets blocked, but its still possible. I was able to do it quite well, somehow couldn't do it anymore later on. After this change I can only do it with katanas and longswords. Like Dezilagel said, the amount of players that can pull this off confidently and properly are quite limited.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 10:47:48 pm by SgtTeeh »

Offline Zandieer

• Baron
  • Renown: 87
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 06, 2012, 10:10:24 pm »
Hiltslashing in general could mean hitting very early in the animation by looking next to your opponent when you swing, pretty much hitting them with the hilt. However I think most people refer to a specific left-right swing combination.

It's done when facehugging and moving into your opponent. You do a leftswing, they block it, then you do a right swing while moving your camera with the swing. If you do the camera movement and footwork properly you'll do a second attack before your opponent barely starts his attack. It's basically just a very fast follow up attack, due to hitting your opponent very early in the animation, doing damage with the hilt. Its possible with both polearms and 2h. Think its pretty much the same doing it with both classes, its only the speed rating that makes it easier or harder.

They tried making hiltslashing impossible by adding a slight delay to do a second attack after your block gets hit, but its still possible. I was able to do it quite well, somehow couldn't do it anymore later on. After this change I can only do it with katanas and longswords. Like Dezilagel said, the amount of players that can pull this off confidently and properly are quite limited.
Ah, I see now :wink: Thanks for the info!

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2121
  • Infamy: 489
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 06, 2012, 11:06:11 pm »
lol.. ok so I am a bit guilty of that situation myself. They are allowed to use other weapons.. Just not anything better than katana. And hafted blades of course.

About hiltslashing, yes everyone is doing it, me too, and that's fine. Nothing to be done about it. Just the GLA is perfect for it with it's insane damage coupled with decent speed and range.

Nope, it's not you. You're barely playing as twohander lately. I guess you like throwing a bit too much.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2517
  • Infamy: 1094
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 06, 2012, 11:09:08 pm »
+1
It's something that 90% of players claim to be able to do but which only about 2.56% actually can.

I can do it but only when I'm using MW Katana.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 07, 2012, 12:31:23 am »
Hiltslashing is basically ye old "Turning into the swing" so your animation hits sooner, making you able to hit faster.

Some people have learned to do this perfectly at the sweetest of sweetspots, so they won't glance.

At least that's my understanding of it..

Turning helps nothing.

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #141 on: March 07, 2012, 12:40:44 am »
10 pages in a day.  haha.

GLA is far from the best or most used pole
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 07, 2012, 01:14:07 am »
GLA is far from the best or most used pole

Irrefutable evidence. Buff GLA now.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #143 on: March 07, 2012, 01:40:26 am »
Hiltslash is possible because of an oversight in TW's sweetspot code. Thrusts and overswings use animation progress to determine the effectiveness of the attack, while left and right swing use angle between attacker and defender. It makes some sense, but it also makes hiltslashes possible.
Adding a progress check in addition to the angle check should remove the ability to hitlslash completely.

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #144 on: March 07, 2012, 01:42:37 am »
+1
Irrefutable evidence. Buff GLA now.

right after buffing courser speed ofc
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #145 on: March 07, 2012, 02:29:48 am »
Hiltslash is possible because of an oversight in TW's sweetspot code. Thrusts and overswings use animation progress to determine the effectiveness of the attack, while left and right swing use angle between attacker and defender. It makes some sense, but it also makes hiltslashes possible.
Adding a progress check in addition to the angle check should remove the ability to hitlslash completely.

WSE allows this or not?
Turtles

Offline Wraist

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 07, 2012, 03:50:44 am »
WSE allows this or not?

Also, is this something you're planning on adding eventually?

Offline Logen

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 385
  • Infamy: 39
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 07, 2012, 06:16:54 am »
Turning helps nothing.
Actually it does.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #148 on: March 07, 2012, 06:22:09 am »
It's so great being able to do damage when my hilt hits somebody before the sword does though, isn't it? At least there are easy simple counters to it.

And to the people regarding turning into the attack for the hiltslash, yeah you turn into it after the attack has been started, but it is the stepping with the attack that matters. If you turn into it before/ as you start the swing then it'll glance. If you do it correctly you'll deal damage before your sword even hits the enemy, although it should DO NOTHING AND GLANCE HORRIBLY.

I posted this picture like a year ago, but here:
(click to show/hide)
Hey i think we're getting off topic.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline BlackMilk

• Polearm Lover
  • Earl
  • Renown: 370
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: el_Banduri
« Reply #149 on: March 07, 2012, 07:16:54 am »
+1
Keep it, please. Duels are boring enough already