Author Topic: The Inevitable.  (Read 4826 times)

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
The Inevitable.
« on: March 04, 2012, 06:14:31 am »
Landsknecht vs Swiss Pikes.

The power of the pike wall is supreme. The counter to the pike wall is a gun... so yeah, no counter. You just have to meet it head to head with a similar set up. This isn't the end of the world but it does make for an interesting discusion. I like the pike wall even if it does make me a sad panda because I love my horse a bit too much.

So what does everybody else think? Am I wrong? Is the pike wall the ultimate strat winning formation?
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
Re: The Inevitable.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 06:32:13 am »
+3
Throwers? I'm a thrower this gen and nothing makes me so happy as when I see a group of people standing close together and I have 3 stack of jarids. Don't even matter if they got shields (ok, maybe a bit) because it's FUN TIME!

Yeah. Throwing would be pretty good against pikemen, same I guess for archers, crossbowmen and ESPECIALLY HA and HC. I also guess a group of shielders would stand a nice chance against them, but that would be pretty even I guess. Hmmm, maybe a 1h/throwing shielder hybrids?
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline BADPLAYERold

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 362
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PRO
  • Game nicks: BADPLAYER
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 07:42:11 am »
+2
Pike walls themselves aren't very good but pikes+shielders is pretty much the best "formation" so to speak.

Offline Tanken

• King
  • Renown: 1463
  • Infamy: 395
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Tanken
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 08:38:36 am »
Best formation I would say is 2 Shielders, a good pikeman, an additional polearm user, and maybe a 2hander or Crush through to pick off people who make it to the pikeman.

I would love to see a very strategic looking shield wall with Pikemen behind it in cRPG. There's only a few times that's happened. Most times, the shield wall either A) Charges, B) Buckles, or C) A combination of both and then your Pikemen, who were doing just fine poking people in the face with cover in front of them are left vulnerable.

I want to find a good medieval movie that talks about the use of the Pike so I can see it in "action" (even though those movies are commonly far fetched).
Below is a Collection of Finalists in my Design my Avatar contest -- They all did Awesome!
Thanks to all of those who contributed.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Earthdforce

• Earl
  • Renown: 391
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Earth_Geodude_da_Defender, _RageThrower
  • IRC nick: Khalestimo#7613
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 08:41:15 am »
Yeah, pretty much any range would decimate a fully piked out army, imo, though it would be interesting to see!

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 09:22:01 am »
Yeah, pretty much any range would decimate a fully piked out army, imo, though it would be interesting to see!

I've seen it, not pretty. One single crossbowmen (granted, it was Dave) wrecked the formation even with the handful of shields after a few minutes.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 09:37:47 am »
+2
Crpg may not have guns but it sure as hell has ranged. Throwers and xbows in particular, but bows too, are a massive pain in the ass. Don't blame pikes for being op just because your inf doesn't let the ranged do their work before charging at a wall of sharp pointy things.  :P

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 09:50:52 am »
+3
Yeah I'm more talking about the combined arms pike formations than the pure pikes. I think we are seeing a combined arms type pike wall.

Chaos and KUTT have been doing a great job with there pike wall *tips hat* I've been pretty impressed. I'm just thinking what is going to happen with the evolution of the pike wall in strat. Its going to become very dominant. I see it becoming the primary form of combined arms in strat.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 03:44:00 pm »
I actually thought about this a bit more. If we look away from ranged, one type of melee would really destroy the pike formation. Maulers. They would be able to get close just by holding down-block, move in a tight formation, and when they reached the pikemen, they could tactically do overheads against the poor pikemen while the others kept up the blocks. Maybe not as efficient with mixed pike formations (pikes, longspears, bills and halberds), but pure pike/long spear formations would be raped by them.
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Lemmy_Winks

• Count
  • Renown: 241
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lemmy_Winks
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 05:50:41 pm »
This is why i had made a thread asking to nerf pikes in game balance. Pikes are so OP that soon every army will just be massing pikes and there will be no balance to the game. Pikes in this game have all of the advantages they had in real life and none of the crippling disadvantages that made them unusable outside of highland warfare. Pikes had never been popular before so i assume the devs paid no attention to its OPness, but now that its becoming so popular and having such a negative effect on strat i think it can no longer be ignored. I guarantee if every army starts massing pikes and this game becomes mount and blade: pike wars (which will happen) that pikes will be nerfed.

Some of you say archers are the answer, you have not been in these battles and do not know what your talking about, with their heavy armor the arrows do very little to stop them, and they have some sheilders protecting them. We would need to have more archers than they have people for that strategy to be at all effective. Any type of infantry is also innefective, the second u put your gaurd down to attack the guy in front of you there are 30 people behind and around him who are in range to stab you and can do so because they can magically stab you through their team mates. Plus as i said they have sheilders at the front so downblock doesnt work at all, you can block the pike stabs and get overheaded by their steel picks or whatever they use. Chaos is the only clan really doing this right now, but lljk will probabbly follow suit and it seems hospitaller is also making pikes from what i heard about yesterdays battle. If we ever end up fighting the Europeans they will probably adopt the strategy too, or they may do it on their own unless they don't believe what has been said here.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 06:04:59 pm by Lemmy_Winks »

Offline BADPLAYERold

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 362
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PRO
  • Game nicks: BADPLAYER
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 06:19:04 pm »
+1

Massing Pikes/Long Spears in Strat is not a new thing by any means, it happened greatly last Strat too with Long Spears and that was when they were 2slot, balanced and could overhead so they were quite a bit better than the ones now. They aren't the end all weapon and they have some easy counters (Like shielders with fast weapons). The only reason they are so good is that the length allows them to stay back and not get by other weapons so you have to negate that advantage by getting up close, don't try and skirmish with people who have more pikes because you let their length advantage be used to its fullest extent.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 06:36:12 pm »
A huscarl shielder can just walk into your midst, completely disrupting your pike wall, making it a huge mess and allowing other melee classes to attack. Against non shielders it can be very effective, but only if you have ranged shooting their ranged.

I have done some nasty shit with Chase back when he used an awlpike and I used a swiss halberd. We would stick close and he would do the stabbing and I would do the overheading. Pretty devastating and hilarious. That combo has 162 reach, when properly timed  is unblockable and does 40c and 36p. Combined with polestagger it wrecked anyone in our reach in mere seconds. Only shielders were a bit harder but if you would attack in turns they just couldnt attack back. Swiss halberds shield breaking abilities would break shields soon enough.

Would be interesting to get 20 guys together, pair em up awlpike/swiss halberd, let them practice for a bit and then let them loose in 2 man squads on a server. Actually I think my clan has done something like that in the past with long spears and swiss halberds. Sadly I wasn't in the clan back then.

Offline Lemmy_Winks

• Count
  • Renown: 241
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lemmy_Winks
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 07:24:40 pm »
+2
Massing Pikes/Long Spears in Strat is not a new thing by any means, it happened greatly last Strat too with Long Spears and that was when they were 2slot, balanced and could overhead so they were quite a bit better than the ones now. They aren't the end all weapon and they have some easy counters (Like shielders with fast weapons). The only reason they are so good is that the length allows them to stay back and not get by other weapons so you have to negate that advantage by getting up close, don't try and skirmish with people who have more pikes because you let their length advantage be used to its fullest extent.

In all the battles ive been in almost all of our infantry was sheild infantry, we form a sheild wall and attack their mob of infantry infront of us, getting close does absolutely nothing. As i said the second you drop your shield your open to being attacked by almost anyone on their team given they mostly have pikes. Not only that the guys in the front have sheids. So basically you open up and hit someoens sheild, only to be simultaneously stabbed to death by 5-6 people. If pikers couldnt stab thru team mates or stab people who are 5ft infront of them with  a 30 ft weapon it would be better but w/e.

Offline Tanken

• King
  • Renown: 1463
  • Infamy: 395
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tanken
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 09:23:13 pm »
+2
This is why i had made a thread asking to nerf pikes in game balance. Pikes are so OP that soon every army will just be massing pikes and there will be no balance to the game. Pikes in this game have all of the advantages they had in real life and none of the crippling disadvantages that made them unusable outside of highland warfare. Pikes had never been popular before so i assume the devs paid no attention to its OPness, but now that its becoming so popular and having such a negative effect on strat i think it can no longer be ignored. I guarantee if every army starts massing pikes and this game becomes mount and blade: pike wars (which will happen) that pikes will be nerfed.

Some of you say archers are the answer, you have not been in these battles and do not know what your talking about, with their heavy armor the arrows do very little to stop them, and they have some sheilders protecting them. We would need to have more archers than they have people for that strategy to be at all effective. Any type of infantry is also innefective, the second u put your gaurd down to attack the guy in front of you there are 30 people behind and around him who are in range to stab you and can do so because they can magically stab you through their team mates. Plus as i said they have sheilders at the front so downblock doesnt work at all, you can block the pike stabs and get overheaded by their steel picks or whatever they use. Chaos is the only clan really doing this right now, but lljk will probabbly follow suit and it seems hospitaller is also making pikes from what i heard about yesterdays battle. If we ever end up fighting the Europeans they will probably adopt the strategy too, or they may do it on their own unless they don't believe what has been said here.

Look at the last battle of Bhulaban Lemmy. You guys had Pikes, we didn't, the difference is, you guys didn't coordinate with your pikemen good enough to keep them alive. What makes the Pikemen powerful, are their ability to adapt in a team-formation and their team be able to protect them. KUTT has one of the best equations for taking care of this -- Pike always designates the target, shielders step in front of the pike to protect, and two men on either side of the pike to protect the pikeman.

The best counter (as someone mentioned above) to a Pikeman is a Mauler. 2-3 Hits, game over, can't block, too slow to run away, teammates have a hard time getting stabs in when a Mauler is facehugging, and not to mention the maul's animation is also broken like the Pike, it makes it all that much easier.

Pikes in strategus possibly will take a substantial hold on how combat is headed, just as they did in real life warfare. Their ability to reach their opponent effectively and deal damage safely is something to be envied. However, coordinate your shielders and maulers or archers to target pikemen and it's game over. Just look at what happened at Bhulaban with your pikemen. THEY WERE TARGETED. We wanted those Pikes. Yeah, they hurt, they took down a few people, but we just overwhelmed them, killed them, and stole their pikes because you guys weren't protecting them as a force that could hold your side quite effectively.

Alright, enough ranting.
Below is a Collection of Finalists in my Design my Avatar contest -- They all did Awesome!
Thanks to all of those who contributed.

Offline Canary

• Marshall
  • Renown: 826
  • Infamy: 202
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 05:48:32 am »
+12
Pikes had never been popular before so i assume the devs paid no attention to its OPness

This is incorrect. There's always been a reach escalation in the game, the longest weapons available have always been popular. There's a reason why the long voulge lost its sideswings, for example. The pike has been nerfed so many times I severely doubt the "devs pay no attention" to it.

Some of you say archers are the answer, you have not been in these battles and do not know what your talking about, with their heavy armor the arrows do very little to stop them, and they have some sheilders protecting them. We would need to have more archers than they have people for that strategy to be at all effective.

Actually, yes, we have been in these battles. Your archers are more effective than you give them credit for, they can shut down certain avenues of attack simply by being able to shoot at them. A shield on a teammate can only protect so far around him, let alone people behind him, particularly when projectiles are coming from above.

Any type of infantry is also innefective, the second u put your gaurd down to attack the guy in front of you there are 30 people behind and around him who are in range to stab you and can do so because they can magically stab you through their team mates.

Plus as i said they have sheilders at the front so downblock doesnt work at all...

Yes, pikemen have teammates with them.

...you can block the pike stabs and get overheaded by their steel picks or whatever they use.

So, it's you, then, that hasn't been in these battles and doesn't know what you're talking about? We've never fielded steel picks. But to your point...

In all the battles ive been in almost all of our infantry was sheild infantry, we form a sheild wall and attack their mob of infantry infront of us, getting close does absolutely nothing. As i said the second you drop your shield your open to being attacked by almost anyone on their team given they mostly have pikes. Not only that the guys in the front have sheids. So basically you open up and hit someoens sheild, only to be simultaneously stabbed to death by 5-6 people. If pikers couldnt stab thru team mates or stab people who are 5ft infront of them with  a 30 ft weapon it would be better but w/e.

Right, so since you guys have mainly one type of melee fighter and we use multiple kinds of melee classes in conjunction, one component of the synergy from our variety of playstyles we use together is broken and too strong. You keep saying that since the pikemen are near their teammates, they're impossible to attack. You're essentially arguing that teamwork is overpowered, and you know, that's true. Work as a team and you'll come out on top. You can't complain that our teamplay is overpowered simply because you're not as diverse, that is an issue you can deal with!

And you can't expect to have a group of entirely shielders and beat a group comprised of shielders and pikemen. This is obviously a simplified example, as both sides have multiple different kinds melee weaponry being fielded.

Realism, as well, is just not an argument that works. Addressing things from a balance angle, things like jump attacks, is a fair discussion to have, but from a balance point of view, there is a reason (balance and game engine limitations) why these weapons stab through teammates and can spin while thrusting to hit people close to them. One major example is that you can walk through the shaft of a pike when it isn't thrust out in an attack. Instead of having to go around or knock the weapon out of the way, you just downblock and walk right through it, or are close enough that it glances and move straight through a physical object to reach the guy using the weapon. This is a double edged sword, you see: goes through teammates, enemies go through it. It's an intangible object in the game, whereas in reality it would be a solid pole made of wood with a sharp metal point at the tip.

Chaos is the only clan really doing this right now, but lljk will probabbly follow suit and it seems hospitaller is also making pikes from what i heard about yesterdays battle. If we ever end up fighting the Europeans they will probably adopt the strategy too, or they may do it on their own unless they don't believe what has been said here.

Long spears and pikes have always been prevalent in strategus and will continue to do so, we aren't an isolated incident of one strategy being overpowered; obviously if it truly was overpowered it would surely be ubiquitous. But wait! A lot of clans have pikemen. The fact that one group is deficient in the use of them doesn't mean implicitly that the pike is an overpowered weapon. It's a similar situation to the old days of strat before the slew of archery nerfs, when the escalation was tilted towards domination based on the amount of ranged players on one side. If you can't cope, or can't get closer to parity with the amount of archers you can field, you get shot up. The difference nowadays is that there are far more counters to pikemen than their are to archers, the pike has a lot of disadvantages ranged weapons do not have and can't do well on their own like they can.

And without addressing any "historical evidence" you brought up in that other thread, this is a game and a fantasy world. It creates its own history.

Pikes are strong, but not unbeatable.